Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Using Sick Day For Snow Storms
JackandJill 06:25 AM 02-09-2017
We are supposedly getting a ton of snow today, and all my families have called to say they are staying home. I am open, I was ready for everyone at 7:15, and only received text messages after 8:00 am saying kids would be staying home.

I offer 4 unpaid sick days each year per child, and almost all families are asking to use one today. Would you allow that? I don't really have any rules regarding closing for snow and using a sick day, but today is a $250 loss if everyone uses their unpaid time. I am on the fence about what to do.
childcaremom 07:01 AM 02-09-2017
Nope. Short answer.

How much notice do you require for a sick day. I would have some rules in place for that. And add that snow days don't count.
DaveA 07:30 AM 02-09-2017
Nope. You're open and they chose not to come.
CalCare 07:45 AM 02-09-2017
What do say about sick days exactly? In the handbook, contract?
Snowmom 08:00 AM 02-09-2017
I used to offer families 2 sick days a year. When I did, I made the stipulation that it MUST be used for an illness, not as an extra vacation day.
They were designed to give family an extra incentive to keep their sick child away from the healthy kids.
JackandJill 08:15 AM 02-09-2017
My handbook says: "Year-round families may take 4 unpaid sick days per year, after 3 months of attendance. The sick days start over on the first of the year. These days do not accumulate, any unused sick time is forfeited at the end of the year. Sick days may not be used for the last two weeks of care or during provider paid time off. Sick days cannot be used on a day a child is sent home from care."

And I have nothing written about snow days, other than the conditions that will cause the daycare to close.

I feel like I should be allowing it because it's not technically against the rules. But like I said, I was up and ready for everyone, and I only received messages at or after everyone's scheduled drop off time, and this will sting a little financially this week.
Sumshine 08:18 AM 02-09-2017
Originally Posted by JackandJill:
We are supposedly getting a ton of snow today, and all my families have called to say they are staying home. I am open, I was ready for everyone at 7:15, and only received text messages after 8:00 am saying kids would be staying home.

I offer 4 unpaid sick days each year per child, and almost all families are asking to use one today. Would you allow that? I don't really have any rules regarding closing for snow and using a sick day, but today is a $250 loss if everyone uses their unpaid time. I am on the fence about what to do.
Unless your policies specifically state otherwise I would unfortunately just take the day unpaid to not cause any irritations. If it was just 1 family I may pick that battle but since it's multiple I'd let it go especially if they feel based on your polocies they can uae a sick day for this.

I would look into preventing this from happening in the future by changing your policies to only accept the sick day if you are notified the night before child not coming perhaps? It still let's parents utilize them but not on a whim and not without some sort of notice so you can financially/menatlly (to an extent) prepare! It will also prevent parents from using it on a snow day, extra vacation, etc.

I don't do any discount for sick days and any unexpected absences are paid in full for this exact reason. If I did I would be out of a lot of money these last few weeks with sickness going around!

I explain to my family's since sickness is always a short notice thing and no one can plan for it I don't allow for discounting but I do allow for them to schedule (2 weeks in advance) a weeks worth of 1/2 fee vacation and I don't take any paid vacations myself. If I close they don't pay. I also do 1/2 fee holidays! It makes me seem a lot more flexible even if realistically I'm not because I can plan ahead and be ready for any and all discoints"!

The parents think they are getting a great deal and I'm okay with it because my rates allow for me to take a discounted day here or there. I thought about doing paid vacation/holidays with a lower fee but I like it this way because it makes everyone feel like they are "winning" and parents at interviews and the ones who decided to go with me when I first opened seemed to really be interested/pleased with this idea and the fact they are getting (in their eyes) a bit of a discount that they wouldn't get going elsewhere
jenboo 08:22 AM 02-09-2017
Its for a sick day, not a snow day. I would tell the parents just that.
Sumshine 08:25 AM 02-09-2017
My handbook says: "Year-round families may take 4 unpaid sick days per year, after 3 months of attendance. The sick days start over on the first of the year. These days do not accumulate, any unused sick time is forfeited at the end of the year. Sick days may not be used for the last two weeks of care or during provider paid time off. Sick days cannot be used on a day a child is sent home from care."

And I have nothing written about snow days, other than the conditions that will cause the daycare to close.

I feel like I should be allowing it because it's not technically against the rules. But like I said, I was up and ready for everyone, and I only received messages at or after everyone's scheduled drop off time, and this will sting a little financially this week.
As a provider I'd now understand I shouldn't/can't use my sick day for a snow day.

As a parent who had her son in an in home daycare a few months ago I'd be thinking I am able to use my sick day because it doesn't state otherwise and there is no time limits as to when you have to be notified and nothing saying they can't be used as extra vacation, snow day, etc it just states that they can't roll over into the next year and can't be used under a couple of understanable circumstances.

I'd see it like the PTO off at my former job and I can use it for any unexpected circumstances at any time without notice.
childcaremom 08:51 AM 02-09-2017
Originally Posted by jenboo:
Its for a sick day, not a snow day. I would tell the parents just that.

And I think the fact that they asked, means that they know it shouldn't be used.

I would just say that the sick days are for illness, not weather related absences.

Then I would revise your policies and state that they are not for weather related absences.
Play Care 09:22 AM 02-09-2017
I'm crotchety today, but for the love of G-d. It specifically says SICK day. It doesn't say personal day, or vacation day.

They are NOT sick.
You are open.
NO, NO, NO.
childcaremom 09:26 AM 02-09-2017
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I'm crotchety today, but for the love of G-d. It specifically says SICK day. It doesn't say personal day, or vacation day.

They are NOT sick.
You are open.
NO, NO, NO.
Yep, that's how I'm feeling.
ColorfulSunburst 09:39 AM 02-09-2017
YOU give them the right to have 4 unpaid(sick) days. They want to take one. I think they may and can
daycarediva 09:43 AM 02-09-2017
Originally Posted by DaveA:
Nope. You're open and they chose not to come.
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
I used to offer families 2 sick days a year. When I did, I made the stipulation that it MUST be used for an illness, not as an extra vacation day.
They were designed to give family an extra incentive to keep their sick child away from the healthy kids.

They are NOT sick.
You are open.
NO, NO, NO.

SICK DAY. NO. I would add something in to the handbook/contract for future reference, too.

I wouldn't take a $250 hit because parents stayed home when I was open.
Ariana 09:50 AM 02-09-2017
No idea why people even offer free sick days!! They are clearly keeping them home because they don't have to pay. If they didn't think they could use the sick day they would have brought them. Guaranteed!

I would allow them to use it. You will get the money back eventually when they are sick.
Play Care 10:02 AM 02-09-2017
Not only would I not let them use it, based on the fact they told you it was weather related and not illness related, I would take away unpaid sick days to boot.
e.j. 10:06 AM 02-09-2017
You do state families get "4 unpaid sick days" so I think you'd be well within your rights to refuse their request for an unpaid day today.

I'm in MA, too, and want to mention that I'm pretty sure I heard that the weather forecasters saying there is another big storm expected for this coming Monday. If you allow sick time to be used for a snow day today, you may be losing additional money on Monday. That may be something to consider since you'd be losing a lot of money in a short period of time.
Blackcat31 10:41 AM 02-09-2017
If they are all sick today then none of them would be well enough to come tomorrow because they wouldn't meet the 24 hr symptom free rule .... lol!
finsup 11:26 AM 02-09-2017
Originally Posted by Sumshine:
As a provider I'd now understand I shouldn't/can't use my sick day for a snow day.

As a parent who had her son in an in home daycare a few months ago I'd be thinking I am able to use my sick day because it doesn't state otherwise and there is no time limits as to when you have to be notified and nothing saying they can't be used as extra vacation, snow day, etc it just states that they can't roll over into the next year and can't be used under a couple of understanable circumstances.

I'd see it like the PTO off at my former job and I can use it for any unexpected circumstances at any time without notice.
I second this. I think a lot of parents would see it as just time off they can use whenever, since often people take a "sick" day from work for various other reasons.
But if you don't want to allow it, totally call them on the oh! Sick huh? We'll see dck Monday since they won't be 24 hours symptom free. Have a great weekend " lol ...
ColorfulSunburst 11:41 AM 02-09-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
No idea why people even offer free sick days!! They are clearly keeping them home because they don't have to pay. If they didn't think they could use the sick day they would have brought them. Guaranteed!
I have not any sick days for parents. There is only one kid here out of 12.
ColorfulSunburst 11:45 AM 02-09-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
If they are all sick today then none of them would be well enough to come tomorrow because they wouldn't meet the 24 hr symptom free rule .... lol!
and she will loose extra $250.
AmyKidsCo 11:52 AM 02-09-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I'd let them use it, otherwise you're encouraging them to lie the next time they want to use a sick day for non-illness.

Then I'd change my policies to remove a couple of sick days so there aren't enough to use for other reasons.
Lil_Diddle 11:56 AM 02-09-2017
Mine are called excused absences and they can use them for whatever they like. If I were you I'd just eat it this time, lesson learned and update the handbook. On mine, they need to contact me and notify me by 6:30 am or they pay. I open at 7
ColorfulSunburst 12:16 PM 02-09-2017
Originally Posted by Lil_Diddle:
Mine are called excused absences and they can use them for whatever they like. If I were you I'd just eat it this time, lesson learned and update the handbook. On mine, they need to contact me and notify me by 6:30 am or they pay. I open at 7

Mike 01:21 PM 02-09-2017

Replies above go both ways. I'm kind of in the middle. Your current contract does more or less allow them to do this, even though they shouldn't, so I think you almost have to allow it this time, but make amendments for the future. Especially the part about a deadline for notice. Lil_Diddle has it spot on. If you're not notified by the time you open, they pay.
NeedaVaca 01:21 PM 02-09-2017

They are NOT sick.
You are open.
NO, NO, NO.
This is exactly what I was thinking! It says SICK days lol
ColorfulSunburst 01:40 PM 02-09-2017
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
This is exactly what I was thinking! It says SICK days lol
they do the same thing that the most people do: use the sick days for whatever they want I do not say that it is right, I just say that it is how people in this country use it.
jenboo 02:38 PM 02-09-2017
What did you decide to do?
284878 04:13 AM 02-10-2017
I call mine vacation days, but been looking for a better term. Excused absence will work great.

I also agree, lesson learned, take the loss and update policy, remember always read your policy has if you're reading it for the first time as a parent not provider.
nanglgrl 06:23 AM 02-10-2017
What happened with this? I for sure wouldn't have let anyone who called and canceled after their scheduled drop off time use it since you were in fact already working and ready/waiting for them.
I probably wouldn't let any clients use it because it's called a sick day like other posters said and the potential for a storm on a Monday etc. unless I didn't mind having a day off with no pay. Most likely if they have to pay they will bring them if at all possible.
Hopefully you change your contract!
JackandJill 06:52 AM 02-10-2017
Originally Posted by jenboo:
What did you decide to do?
So I ended giving people the option to use it this one time. I explained that they are really meant for when a child is sick and let them know they would be getting an updated sick policy on Monday (I am closed on Fridays). Only one out of the 5 families used an unpaid day.

Thanks for all the input!
Mike 07:33 AM 02-10-2017
So I ended giving people the option to use it this one time. I explained that they are really meant for when a child is sick and let them know they would be getting an updated sick policy on Monday (I am closed on Fridays). Only one out of the 5 families used an unpaid day.

Thanks for all the input!
That was nice of the others.
JackandJill 07:59 AM 02-10-2017
Originally Posted by Mike:
That was nice of the others.
I have a really, really great group of families! Everyone pays on time, people never run late, everyone is so appreciative - that's why I was so torn on what to do!

Some of my previous families, it would have been a no brainer
daycarediva 11:07 AM 02-10-2017
I have a really, really great group of families! Everyone pays on time, people never run late, everyone is so appreciative - that's why I was so torn on what to do!

Some of my previous families, it would have been a no brainer
awesome!
Crazy8 11:27 AM 02-10-2017
I realize I am odd man out on this one but I would let them use it. Yes it sucks that they are all using it on the same day but suppose they were all sick on the same day? No difference to me. It just means that is one less sick day they have available to use the rest of the year.

Mine are listed as vacation days but I tell them they can use them as sick/personal days as well. If using for vacation they need to give me notice (when using multiple days) but if using for a sick day they just let me know that morning.
Reply Up