Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCM ... Again. Enough With The Sick Policy Already!
MarinaVanessa 08:01 AM 10-22-2010
So yes this is the same DCM that I have issues with all of the time about policies etc. So a little after 7am I get a text from her letting me know that DCB had a fever yesterday but that he was ok this morning ... hmm really?

I asked her if she had given him any medication last night and this morning. She said "just advil". I asked her as in children's advil to reduce the fever? She said yes. (Rolling my eyes) I told her that DCB could not come until fever was gone for 24 hours. She said "But it is gone" (rolling my eyes agian). I made a point to say that a) she gave him fever reducer this morning so even though his fever was down right now that didn't mean the fever was gone and that b) even if she hadn't given him fever reducer he got the fever last night and so he would have to stay home 24 hours after he was fever free anyway so he wouldn't be able to come to DC anyhow (we've already been through all of this by the way).

So anyway she said she'll just take him to the doctor's this morning and bring a note. I said "Well okay, just remember to tell them that you gave him fever reducer and don't give him any more until they can see him so they can see his symtoms and his note has to say what it is he has or that he doesn't have anything, isn't contagious and that he can come back to daycare." She said fine. Why is it that I feel like I am always having the same conversations with the same parent's over and over again?
ddnanny13 08:14 AM 10-22-2010
Because as providers, we're a crutch. Parents use us for everything. Toot your own horn today. People say nurses are angels without wings, I agree, but so are we. If kids didn't have a safe place to grow and learn everyday, where would we be? Extinct. Sounds corny but sometimes I have to remind myself of that to get through the day, thought I might remind you too Sorry I don't have any actual advice, but still wanted to TRY to help. Hope I did at least a little.
Live and Learn 08:16 AM 10-22-2010
This really strikes a nerve with me because I have your family's clone!!! If your policy says stay home for 24 hours after fever has broke and he had a fever last night that means they can't come until Monday. If the dr gives a note "say great, I will see you on Monday then." No doc is going to tell me to break my sick policy. Once I had to tell a family with a doc's note "my sick policy is clear: 24 hours with no fever with no meeds and if the doc wanted to provide childcare for the day she could" I don't text with parents. You might send a quick email. "I hope x feels better soon. See you on Monday." Attach a cute pic of x having fun at daycare. Then don't respond to texts from them. They can call and leave a message if they REALLY need to talk....otherwise it will keep until Monday.
Blackcat31 09:08 AM 10-22-2010
It is amazing how many parents try to cover it up...give meds in morning and think we won't notice! I don't really have any advice except to stick to your policies! I had a dcb who spends 10.5 hours a day with me 5 days a week and mom hardly ever comes if I call cuz he is sick. She has dad do it or meds kid in morning and sends him anyways. One day she asks me to call her work and say her kid is sick so she can go home early. She says "make sure you tell receptionist so they believe me cuz I've used this excuse so many times before." I was like WHAT?!?! cuz she's never come got her son before so I'm thinking why would you use that excuse if it isn't true. Anyways she says she isn't going to come get the child if I call, she just wants to play hooky from work and go home. I did NOT call.
SandeeAR 09:15 AM 10-22-2010
I would not lie for ANY parent. Just think about it, if she is lying at work using you, how is she lying to you?
DancingQueen 09:19 AM 10-22-2010
All I can say is that I LOVE my families.
SandeeAR 09:24 AM 10-22-2010
Originally Posted by sbschildcare:
All I can say is that I LOVE my families.
Me TOO! Only deal with 3 families/4kids. I love all of them.
DancingQueen 09:25 AM 10-22-2010
Don't get me wron g- I know this can change on a dime - but right now it is all good
MommyMuffin 09:26 AM 10-22-2010
The fever policy along with other symptoms was instructions given to my by my licensor, for those of you who are licensed or registered couldnt you say that "the state licensor mandates that we do not take any child who is not fever free for 24 hours, I must follow licensing rules" "I'm sure you understand the severity of allowing a sick or possibly sick child into an area with other children, see you in 24 hours." "Also, if your child does have a communicable disease the other children/s parents would consider me to be liable for allowing a child with symptoms to be present at my daycare." I know this is extreme but if the parents are just not getting it.
and possibly given them the handout. I know not all of you are licensed and/or haven't recieved that sheet but that is what I intend to do. I also wonder if the departmen of health and human services has a handout you could give. Make it more of the rule of licensing/government so they wake up see that the rule is for a reason!
Blackcat31 09:37 AM 10-22-2010
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
The fever policy along with other symptoms was instructions given to my by my licensor, for those of you who are licensed or registered couldnt you say that "the state licensor mandates that we do not take any child who is not fever free for 24 hours, I must follow licensing rules" "I'm sure you understand the severity of allowing a sick or possibly sick child into an area with other children, see you in 24 hours." "Also, if your child does have a communicable disease the other children/s parents would consider me to be liable for allowing a child with symptoms to be present at my daycare." I know this is extreme but if the parents are just not getting it.
and possibly given them the handout. I know not all of you are licensed and/or haven't recieved that sheet but that is what I intend to do. I also wonder if the departmen of health and human services has a handout you could give. Make it more of the rule of licensing/government so they wake up see that the rule is for a reason!
I always use the state laws as a fall back because if the parent wants to argue with the law, I will give them my licensors number. It works beter than allowing them to argue with me. Because we all know if we give in once...
MarinaVanessa 09:58 AM 10-22-2010
Thanks everyone for the support and opinions. I completely agree with those that think that DUH there's a sickness policy for a reason. And um ... hello!! I'm PREGNANT, I can't get sick right now. If I get sick then my baby gets sick. And even when I deliver then I'll have a tiny infant that could get sick. It just ruffles my feathers that some people just don't get it.

Anyhow I have an update:
So the kiddos and I just got back at 10am from the school carnival and guess who comes to my door? Yup, DCM. Of course I stand in the doorway as she tells me that she went to the doctor and that she has a note and thrusts a pack of papers towards me. Call it an automatic reflex or whatever but I took them and looked down at them and asked her what this was and she tells me that those are the papers that the doctor gave her. "Oh yeah? So what it is?". She looks at me like I don't understand and then tells me the same thing again. And I just say OK and ask where the doctor's note is and she points to the papers and says that that's what they gave her. I just smiled and said that it wasn't a doctor's note and that I had specifically told her what I needed and what it had to say. She got a little indignant and just said that he had a little fever and that they said to give him fever reducer and that he was fine.

While she was talking I was skimming the top page of the stack of papers that she gave me and when she had finished talking I looked up at her and asked her if she had read any if it yet and she said that yes she had. And then I had the joyous pleasure and upmost jubilation to say "Well then I'm sure you read the part on the first line that says (and then began reading word for word) that fever is a sign or symtom of an illness. and then the part that says This is what you should do ... keep the child as quiet as possible and out of school until the fever has been normal for 24 hours. Since he doesn't go to school it means daycare since I have to follow the same sickness policy that they do. It's a part of my licensing regulations." At that point she was just staring at me so I just did the whole uncomfortable silence stare back until she finally asked me "So he can't stay?" to which I just replied "That's what I told you this morning".

Sometimes I just wonder about people. ~ and no, DCB is not here today, he will be home recovering from a fever . Score: Me:1 DCM:0
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 10:44 AM 10-22-2010
LOVE THIS!!!!!!!

you know,.. I always say,..you can tell the parents who really wanted to be parents,.. and those who it just kinda happened to.

Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Thanks everyone for the support and opinions. I completely agree with those that think that DUH there's a sickness policy for a reason. And um ... hello!! I'm PREGNANT, I can't get sick right now. If I get sick then my baby gets sick. And even when I deliver then I'll have a tiny infant that could get sick. It just ruffles my feathers that some people just don't get it.

Anyhow I have an update:
So the kiddos and I just got back at 10am from the school carnival and guess who comes to my door? Yup, DCM. Of course I stand in the doorway as she tells me that she went to the doctor and that she has a note and thrusts a pack of papers towards me. Call it an automatic reflex or whatever but I took them and looked down at them and asked her what this was and she tells me that those are the papers that the doctor gave her. "Oh yeah? So what it is?". She looks at me like I don't understand and then tells me the same thing again. And I just say OK and ask where the doctor's note is and she points to the papers and says that that's what they gave her. I just smiled and said that it wasn't a doctor's note and that I had specifically told her what I needed and what it had to say. She got a little indignant and just said that he had a little fever and that they said to give him fever reducer and that he was fine.

While she was talking I was skimming the top page of the stack of papers that she gave me and when she had finished talking I looked up at her and asked her if she had read any if it yet and she said that yes she had. And then I had the joyous pleasure and upmost jubilation to say "Well then I'm sure you read the part on the first line that says (and then began reading word for word) that fever is a sign or symtom of an illness. and then the part that says This is what you should do ... keep the child as quiet as possible and out of school until the fever has been normal for 24 hours. Since he doesn't go to school it means daycare since I have to follow the same sickness policy that they do. It's a part of my licensing regulations." At that point she was just staring at me so I just did the whole uncomfortable silence stare back until she finally asked me "So he can't stay?" to which I just replied "That's what I told you this morning".

Sometimes I just wonder about people. ~ and no, DCB is not here today, he will be home recovering from a fever . Score: Me:1 DCM:0

Live and Learn 11:09 AM 10-22-2010
Oh Brother...I forgot you are pregnant....why would she want to risk getting you sick? Good for you for standing your ground.
busymomof2 01:05 PM 10-22-2010
That is awesome! I would never have been able to do that. Good for you sticking to your policy and following through.
MarinaVanessa 03:38 PM 10-22-2010
Originally Posted by busymomof2:
That is awesome! I would never have been able to do that. Good for you sticking to your policy and following through.
Maybe it's the fact that I am pregnant and that I'm almost due that has my hormones all in a flux and in a jumble but man oh man, I never had a backbone like this before. I let this DCM pretty much do whatever before, but no more. I'd rather keep her income but if she decides she wants to threaten me and give me notice (which she didn't do this time but she has again and again before) then so be it. I'm going to call her bluff because I'm just done with her antics.

I think she feels this also because the last time that she said something about giving me notice I pretty much said something like "Well, sometimes life throws things at you that you have no control over and if that's what you have to do then that's what you have to do." After that her attitude kind of changed. She still pushes but I just repeat my policies and don't give in anymore where before she would say that it doesn't work for her and so she may have to give notice, to which I would fold because I needed the income. Well I have another FT client now so I don't need her, although I adore her son, so she no longer has me by my short and curlies, excuse my choice of words .
MARSTELAC 11:30 AM 10-27-2010
Can you come over? I sent home my addendum with new policies on illness that have already gone into effect. DcD shows up this a.m. and says can you give X a bland diet today (she Was out sick yesterday) and keep her kind of inactive. Then he tells me X has had some of siblings antibiotics. (my backbone was missing...I have a hard time with them because I am the kids' godparent and they know I'm a pushover). He leaves for work and X tells the next family that arrives that she puked last night. I give up! To top it off, my 4 nappers are all up after only 1/2 hour. WAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tags:sick policy
Reply Up