Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Biggest Daycare Issue!
elhw4ever 08:27 PM 11-12-2018
Is Cold and Flu season a huge concern and panic for you guys each year? Or are there other issues in your opinion that are a bigger headache than that?!
amberrose3dg 03:19 AM 11-13-2018
Originally Posted by elhw4ever:
Is Cold and Flu season a huge concern and panic for you guys each year? Or are there other issues in your opinion that are a bigger headache than that?!
Snow usually. We have snow in the forecast for Thursday. It is early for the year. Supposed to be 8 inches. I will have to close in order to keep from being stuck with kids that parents wont be able to come and get.
Annalee 03:54 AM 11-13-2018
My biggest daycare issue is the STATE/QRIS draining me which is number ONE, but weather-related, it is the threat of Tornadoes here; just had an outbreak last week. We follow the school system when it comes to tornadoes. In snow, the clients make a decision while I am nice and cozy in my home...If we are rendered without power due to ice, which we get alot of, we close as well, but the snow doesn't really bother me.
Gemma 04:04 AM 11-13-2018
My group is very young, yet I only have 1 kid that seem to get sick a lot so I would say no that's not my biggest issue.

My biggest issue has to be either the undersized dollar store diapers, or watching the parents take whatever their precious toddler dishes out, without implement corrective actions
Josiegirl 04:07 AM 11-13-2018
Biggest daycare issue? Things that are affecting the kids such as lack of sleep, non-parenting parents, parents who are in denial.
Current dcm is in complete denial about her ds's behavior. Maybe he's bored in school, she says, because he can do higher grade math(he's in prek)?? I haven't seen that but ok.
gumdrops 07:00 AM 11-13-2018
Originally Posted by Gemma:
watching the parents take whatever their precious toddler dishes out, without implement corrective actions
Do you wonder/hope that they just don't like to discipline in front of you because that may make them look like a bad parent (in their eyes, not mine)? I tell my husband often that I wish parents would correct their child in front of me when needed, so I know they are at least trying.
Gemma 07:36 AM 11-13-2018
Originally Posted by gumdrops:
Do you wonder/hope that they just don't like to discipline in front of you because that may make them look like a bad parent (in their eyes, not mine)? .
I wish that was the case at least these kids would get some parental structure, but that would take work and consistency so I doubt it!
Blackcat31 08:12 AM 11-13-2018
Originally Posted by gumdrops:
Do you wonder/hope that they just don't like to discipline in front of you because that may make them look like a bad parent (in their eyes, not mine)? I tell my husband often that I wish parents would correct their child in front of me when needed, so I know they are at least trying.
I tell parents straight up the only time they are judged in my house/daycare is when they DON'T step up and discipline/redirect their child.

For me the biggest headache in this profession is the 3 different definitions of what this job really is:

My perspective is VERY different than DHS's perspective and parent's perspective is an even different one.

If those three viewpoints could find some common ground this job wouldn't be so (fill in the blank).
Unregistered 08:39 AM 11-13-2018
My biggest problem is with the parents and their lack of parenting. Some of the things that come out of their mouths are so stupid and hilarious. I could write a book.
Unregistered 08:52 AM 11-13-2018
Well, that's annoying!

Luckily I haven't had any complaints...at least not to my face lol I guess I did have one dcm make a comment that she had to take the week of Christmas off, but not my problem she doesn't have backup care.
I also do not charge for days when I'm closed, so I better not get any complaints!

You can't please everybody! Enjoy your days off!!
Unregistered 08:55 AM 11-13-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Well, that's annoying!

Luckily I haven't had any complaints...at least not to my face lol I guess I did have one dcm make a comment that she had to take the week of Christmas off, but not my problem she doesn't have backup care.
I also do not charge for days when I'm closed, so I better not get any complaints!

You can't please everybody! Enjoy your days off!!
Oops..
wrong thread.
Ariana 11:36 AM 11-13-2018
The worst is the guilt you have when you have to take a sick day. My yearly alottment runs from January to December and I get 5 paid sick days and 5 paid personal days. I structure it that way because I use nearly all of them from September to December and then January to March. Essentially it gives me 10 paid sick days during cold and flu season. This year I have used 2 already for one flu in September. Not feeling the best today but am suffering through to save my days...thank God for napping kids and tv on thise days.
e.j. 11:59 AM 11-13-2018
Cold and Flu season is a tough one but right now, my biggest problem is kids who haven't had consistent nap times at home. One infant finally just fell asleep and I've got 4 two year olds who haven't slept at all this afternoon because they've been talking, singing, getting off their cots, stomping around in their cribs, etc...keeping each other awake. UGH! This is the most frustrating group I've had as far as napping is concerned.
elhw4ever 12:59 PM 11-13-2018
Originally Posted by e.j.:
Cold and Flu season is a tough one but right now, my biggest problem is kids who haven't had consistent nap times at home. One infant finally just fell asleep and I've got 4 two year olds who haven't slept at all this afternoon because they've been talking, singing, getting off their cots, stomping around in their cribs, etc...keeping each other awake. UGH! This is the most frustrating group I've had as far as napping is concerned.
Yikes! That’s definitely a headache! Hang in there!
ardeur 01:43 PM 11-13-2018
My biggest issue was with a verbally-abusive parent who retaliated with false reports of abuse to both licensing and CPS after I terminated her contract for screaming and threatening me in my home. She was mad about her late payment fees and mad that I didn't let her into my home 15 minutes before I opened.
e.j. 05:13 PM 11-13-2018
Yikes! That’s definitely a headache! Hang in there!
Thank you! Currently, Tuesdays are my toughest day to get through. I actually did have a headache by the time they all left! lol Hopefully it'll be better tomorrow.
e.j. 05:15 PM 11-13-2018
Originally Posted by ardeur:
My biggest issue was with a verbally-abusive parent who retaliated with false reports of abuse to both licensing and CPS after I terminated her contract for screaming and threatening me in my home. She was mad about her late payment fees and mad that I didn't let her into my home 15 minutes before I opened.
This makes me appreciate my napping problem! Why do people have to be such jerks?!
flying_babyb 08:14 PM 11-13-2018
NAEYC visits! I swear they ask too much! Our list of "must haves" for our classroom is huge and half the stuff my one year olds dont understand.. im a teacher in a center, and I was told "just go buy what you need." and "no staples in bulletin boards" No more staples? Ok give me tape. Boss says go buy some
Firefly 05:46 AM 11-14-2018
Yes illnesses are one of my biggest issues. I will usually end up getting sick from one of the kids and that’s when I really don’t like my job.
nanglgrl 05:02 PM 11-15-2018
After doing this so long and heeding advice from this forum I’ve rid myself of many common issues. Here’s how:

Dope and drop: If a child becomes sick at daycare they have to be picked up within 1/2 hour and can’t return for 2 FULL days. So if I send home on Monday they can’t come back until Thursday. If they get sick at home they can return 24 hours after the last incident of diarrhea/vomit/fever etc. There are occasional illnesses that happen during care that I consider on a case by case basis. Generally the children rarely get sick or spread illness. I also post all illness in the private daycare group. I don’t use names but the kids do . Parents know this and don’t want to be “that” parent who started the epidemic.

Late payment: Clients pay on Monday morning prior to care. Children aren’t accepted without payment. I deposit online during nap. I thought about making it due Friday but didn’t want parents showing up Friday night. Every once in a while a parent pays at pick up on Monday..I don’t have a problem with that.

Children from open to close: I charge a flat rate for the hours of 7:30-3:30. The rate doesn’t change if they drop off later. The rate goes up every 1/2 hour after 3:30. I now close at 4. Clients only use the care they need for work/commute. However, until they learn of my rate structure many potential clients claim during the interview that they NEED care until 5/5:30/6. Then change their mind when I tell them my rates. I’m still full all of the time.

Early arrival/late pick up: I make it clear during the interview that I don’t open before 7:30 and that they are to pick up by the time stated in their contract. I also make it clear that I don’t do early drop off or late pick up fees and if this is something they do their contract will be terminated. A couple times a year I usually have a client running late (usually due to weather). I handle it on a case by case basis but usually they’re going to be maybe 15 minutes late and still pick up by the time I close. It’s truly an unavoidable situation and not abused.

Leaving without 2 weeks notice: I went a different direction with this. I don’t charge a deposit. I tell clients I expect them to do what works for their family just as I would. I tell them I don’t want them to stay with me if they aren’t happy. I tell them when preschool/kindergarten sign up is and ask them if they will be leaving. I promise I will not fill their spot and term them if they’re leaving on good terms until they don’t need the spot. So far everyone gives me notice as soon as they find out and in the last 5 years I’ve only had people leave for school.

Bounced checks: They pay my late payment fee and my bounced check fee before their child can return and all future payments are in cash.

Annoyances for closings: I have 10 paid holidays a year. My clients are reminded about any upcoming closures and if they’re paid or unpaid months in advance on a Facebook group. They have to “like” the post to show they understand. I take vacation at least twice a year for a week each but it’s not limited (unpaid). Clients know my trips are usually in May and August and I tell them concrete dates ASAP. My rates reflect that I’m not being paid. In 6 months we’re traveling to Europe for 2 weeks and my clients already know and are planning their vacations for that time. I close between Christmas Eve and New Year’s Day every year and it’s a combo of paid/unpaid. I post it in the group and note when payment will be so and again each client has to “like” the post. Luckily I rarely have unplanned closures.

Not providing supplies: it just doesn’t happen. I don’t know why exactly. I give reminders when something is low. I choose my clients wisely. Parents all supply wipes monthly whether or not their child is potty trained. Old diapers and pull-ups go into our “stash”.

Bringing children in underwear/expecting me to train: I tell them flat out I don’t do timed interval training. I tell them I don’t train at all and will tell them when their child can come in underwear. The truth is I train 99% of the children I enroll but I wait until their ready and it takes a week. Their parents are always shocked and pleased. I teach them self help skills first, I teach them it’s their body and they make the choices about going on the potty. I expect them to be able to do certain things. I inform parents when theyre getting close to meeting the criteria and at that point I just start asking them if they want to try 4x a day during regular potty breaks for a week. Usually they’re going themselves are ready for underwear by the end of the week.

Not following policies: my policies are few. Pay on time. Pay the same amount every week unless I take unpaid vacation or unpaid sick days..in those cases they receive notice about the amount that will be due and when. Clients don’t get unpaid days. Adhere to drop off and pick up times. Communicate. Provide for your child. Don’t bring sick children. I tell them when their child can come wearing underwear. Don’t cause me stress. I will term and fill your spot if you’re a PITA. Truthfully I don’t even need them to sign a contract because they know if they can’t treat me with basic decency by following the above policies I will term.
Asking not to pay during absences: They don’t ask. Their rate is the same every week. Next week I have 3 out the entire week. The parents have already brought a check without me asking. I will wait to deposit them until Monday when payment is regularly due.

I think it all comes down to choosing clients wisely and letting them know from the get go what your rules are, that they’re not your employer and that you’d rather have less income than deal with constant stress. I also want to add that not taking infants (the parents of infants I used to get were always high maintenance) and not taking school agers.

That said nothing is perfect. There are some battles I choose not to fight because they’re minor, periodic or I know I won’t win them. My main problem is lying about potty training readiness/success or self help skills. It’s usually the moms. The dads and nannies/family members always tell me much more realistic facts (some have nannies/family pick up to avoid my higher rates). When this happens I just say “hmm..I’m not seeing that here so here is how we will proceed”..it’s not without annoyance though. It’s always the clients that give me the feeling they want to try and make me feel like I’m not good enough to make themselves feel better. I just turn it back around on them.
nanglgrl 05:07 PM 11-15-2018
Please excuse my use of their/they’re/there and the other mistakes in a few areas. I’m typing on a phone and it’s amazingly difficult to fix things without messing them up more. Plus I’m tired lol.
Flowerchild 05:30 AM 11-16-2018
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
Snow usually. We have snow in the forecast for Thursday. It is early for the year. Supposed to be 8 inches. I will have to close in order to keep from being stuck with kids that parents wont be able to come and get.
Yes and I don't get paid. Love my days off not my short checks. Same for holidays
Tags:#biggestdaycareissues, #childrenandgerms, #keepingstaffhealthy, difficult parent request, don't need hashtags, illness policy, issues, problem solving
Reply Up