Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nap Time Struggle
tenderhearts 12:26 PM 09-16-2020
I have a new dcb who will be 2 here in just a week. His parents said he usually is a 3 hr napper with occasion a shorter one, but in general a good napper. I know there is an adjustment starting a new place, new nap routine ect and I obviously expect that. He lays down fine but the moment I start to leave his side he starts to cry, so I have been rubbing his back for a few minutes then stop and sit there for awhil but again the moment I leave he starts to cry. My issue is that he is in the room with 4 other kiddos and they ALL need a good nap so my question is would you put him in another room where he would be alone that way when he does cry he doesn't wake the others? I would still sit with him until he feels comfortable but that way when he does fall asleep like yesterday he wont wake up crying so loud and hard that he wakes up all the others only after a 20 min nap?
Cat Herder 01:09 PM 09-16-2020
Moving him to another room is not even an option, here. Naptime is supervised time, both sight and sound.

That said, it is also a personal choice that I would never nap a daycare child in another room, unsupervised. That is how my son's death from SIDS went undiscovered for 4 hours by his provider.

I understand the struggle, but the risks are simply not worth it in my opinion.
CountryRoads 01:32 PM 09-16-2020
Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
I have a new dcb who will be 2 here in just a week. His parents said he usually is a 3 hr napper with occasion a shorter one, but in general a good napper. I know there is an adjustment starting a new place, new nap routine ect and I obviously expect that. He lays down fine but the moment I start to leave his side he starts to cry, so I have been rubbing his back for a few minutes then stop and sit there for awhil but again the moment I leave he starts to cry. My issue is that he is in the room with 4 other kiddos and they ALL need a good nap so my question is would you put him in another room where he would be alone that way when he does cry he doesn't wake the others? I would still sit with him until he feels comfortable but that way when he does fall asleep like yesterday he wont wake up crying so loud and hard that he wakes up all the others only after a 20 min nap?

At almost 2, I would put in a separate room until he adjusts - if your licensing rules allow it.

I've done this with a few of my kiddos, and I have all amazing sleepers now!
tenderhearts 04:53 PM 09-16-2020
Oh wow I'm so sorry about your son. I understand where you are coming from.
Yes I can do this as long as it meets all the requirements and it does. So I ended up putting him in there since he wouldn't stop crying so after I did I basically sat with him for 10 then left for 2 then made a little longer and after 15 min he fell asleep and slept for almost 3 hours. I just kept door open and it's a room I can see him. So I think for now that is what I will need to do.
Rockgirl 07:52 PM 09-16-2020
I would just gradually sit a bit farther away from him each day. He will eventually adjust. I know it’s difficult, though!
springv 02:55 PM 09-17-2020
@cathoarder: I am so sorry to read about your son's passing from SIDS!!!! We are NEVER allowed to leave a room especially if a child or children are sleeping because of this exact same thing!!!
Cat Herder 03:45 PM 09-17-2020
Originally Posted by springvalley112:
@cathoarder: I am so sorry to read about your son's passing from SIDS!!!! We are NEVER allowed to leave a room especially if a child or children are sleeping because of this exact same thing!!!
Thanks. It has been 30 years, now. That is why I opened my own daycare for when I was ready to try to have kids, again. It took 7 years to get past the fear.

It is amazing to me how fast the years have gone. We are empty nesters, now.
Gemma 09:14 AM 09-18-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Thanks. It has been 30 years, now. That is why I opened my own daycare for when I was ready to try to have kids, again. It took 7 years to get past the fear.

It is amazing to me how fast the years have gone. We are empty nesters, now.

Tags:1 year old, naptime crier
Reply Up