Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Laundry Detergent
Learning Daycare 06:50 PM 12-28-2014
*What brand do you use for daycare linens? When my DS and DD were infants, I used All free and clear and it worked amazingly well on their sensitive, new skin. How many of you actually send linens home on the weekend?
midaycare 08:08 PM 12-28-2014
Originally Posted by Learning Daycare:
*What brand do you use for daycare linens? When my DS and DD were infants, I used All free and clear and it worked amazingly well on their sensitive, new skin. How many of you actually send linens home on the weekend?
I use a free and clear (whatever is on sale) for all the blankets here. I send the babies pack and play sheet home because dcm prefers to do it herself - first time mom and wants to feel in control . I would use dreft until 1 year old.
Cradle2crayons 08:59 PM 12-28-2014
I use either arm and hammer or tide pods etc. whatever it have and use for he regular laundry. Right now, I don't have any with allergy issues so I can use whatever I want.
Sugaree 05:34 AM 12-29-2014
DS has a few skin issues (mainly rosacea) and we've found that Charlie's Laundry Soap is the best detergent for him. We initially bought it because it's cloth diaper safe (i.e. no scent, softener, etc) and found that the diaper area was the only area we never had a problem. So we started using that on all his clothes. We do have to order it off Amazon, though I'd imagine in larger cities you might be able to find it in stores. We like that it only takes a tablespoon for a load so a container lasts for a while.
Blackcat31 06:40 AM 12-29-2014
I launder all daycare linens. Nothing is sent home with parents until they leave my care. I do not want to risk getting bed bugs, lice or, fleas or scabies etc....by allowing linens to go back and forth.

NOT saying any of my families have any of those things....just don't want the linens I use to have such travel experiences where it "could" happen.

Anyways, I wash all my laundry in Tide. Sometimes I buy the stuff with Frebreeze and other times I buy Cold Water Tide or Tide Free and Clear....whatever I grab I guess.
Baby Beluga 07:21 AM 12-29-2014
I wash all DC linens as well. Less risk of something not getting washed or picking something up in transport back to my home.

I use All free and clear or Kirkland's brand of free and clear (whichever is on sale) on all DC linens and all my families clothing/linens. I am horribly allergic to Tide
Learning Daycare 02:45 PM 12-29-2014
My family uses Gain and we love it! It's the only thing we ALL can use with skin irritation. I will definitely not allow anything to be taken home because my biggest fear is someone bringing bugs into my home,not knowing where it came from and paying out the rear to get rid of it. I live in fear of this happening, whether it's daycare related or not.
Meeko 04:19 PM 12-29-2014
I love Oxi-Clean. My husband had a stain on a shirt that I couldn't get out despite several tries. A friend suggested Oxi-Clean. First wash...stain gone.
madimomma 02:31 PM 08-07-2015
my baby girl is developing an allergy to soaps and detergents. I have changed everything at home to free and clear and gentle, but the daycare she goes to said No when I asked if the could switch to something free and clear. becuase what they use is surf or gain either of with I'm allergic to so I'm guessing my 6 month baby girl is to.
I can bring her own sheet for the crib and bibs but the swing and all the soft toys get washed in the same harsh stuff.... I really don't know my options here.
I'm so mad but don't know what I should do.
MyAngels 03:46 PM 08-07-2015
You should probably look for a daycare situation that better suits your desires (i.e., using the type of detergent that you would like).
jenboo 04:20 PM 08-07-2015
I wash everything. I use foca. It's super cheap and even my sensitive skin isn't bothered by it and neither were any of my daycare kids.
Febby 04:32 PM 08-07-2015
Originally Posted by madimomma:
my baby girl is developing an allergy to soaps and detergents. I have changed everything at home to free and clear and gentle, but the daycare she goes to said No when I asked if the could switch to something free and clear. becuase what they use is surf or gain either of with I'm allergic to so I'm guessing my 6 month baby girl is to.
I can bring her own sheet for the crib and bibs but the swing and all the soft toys get washed in the same harsh stuff.... I really don't know my options here.
If your day care won't change detergents and your daughter is allergic to the one they're using, then you're going to have to switch day cares. It sucks, but you can't force them to switch and you can't undo your baby's allergy.

I use Arm & Hammer Sensitive at home because it's one of the few detergents I'm not allergic to (even most of the free and clear ones bother me). I'm not sure what detergent my current center uses, but most of the ones I've worked at in the past have used All Free and Clear.
Conoad 04:59 PM 08-07-2015
I make my own and love it. Works well on stains and costs next to nothing.
Thriftylady 10:07 PM 08-07-2015
I also make my own. It is so much cheaper and works just as well. Also there are very few ingredients for there to be an allergy.
Play Care 05:49 PM 08-08-2015
Originally Posted by madimomma:
Ask if you get a note from the doctor saying she's allergic to the detergent will they change what they use (they may have to) it's worth a shot.
LysesKids 06:49 PM 08-08-2015
Originally Posted by Learning Daycare:
My family uses Gain and we love it! It's the only thing we ALL can use with skin irritation. I will definitely not allow anything to be taken home because my biggest fear is someone bringing bugs into my home,not knowing where it came from and paying out the rear to get rid of it. I live in fear of this happening, whether it's daycare related or not.
Gain is one of the detergents that is my worst enemy; I am allergic to most store bought, and I have a policy that all families need to use fragrance free detergents because I can either go into an asthma attack or break out in hives otherwise (my health trumps their wanting to smell pretty). I also request no fabric softness as it's not just the scent, but the chemical on the sheets that causes problems for me - it's made to stick and it clogs up dryers too, so even if you stop using softer sheets, unless you clean out the dryer with vinegar towels, the next load will still have the stuff on the clothes
Thriftylady 07:09 PM 08-08-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Ask if you get a note from the doctor saying she's allergic to the detergent will they change what they use (they may have to) it's worth a shot.
Yeah that is part of the reason I make my own. With no dyes and scents there is so much less to cause a problem to my kiddos. And I have skin issues so I am careful with everything.
auntymimi 09:51 PM 08-08-2015
Originally Posted by Conoad:
I make my own and love it. Works well on stains and costs next to nothing.
I've done this as well. 3 ingredients, cheap, and easy.
bklsmum 04:03 AM 08-09-2015
My daughter is wicked sensitive too so I also make my own and use it on everything I wash here, including the daycare laundry.
Reply Up