Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Scarlet Fever Minus the Fever
wahmof3 04:19 PM 10-09-2012
Anyone ever have this?

My DS got sick (vomited) Sat. night just once.

Sunday developed a rash.

Today it is worse. Mainly in armpits, creases of legs, groin area. Took him to doctor.

Doctor said it's scarlet fever without the fever. He could've had the fever last week. Treatment is just benadryl for itch. No antibiotics bc he is not showing any symptoms of strep throat.

Doctor DID stress that if he comes down with any symptoms of meningitis he needs to go straight to ER. <---SCARES ME!

My DD had Scarlet fever a while back and had symptoms of and a positive strep test. This seems different, but reading info on it- it does follow the description.
Kaddidle Care 04:48 PM 10-09-2012
My oldest had Scarlatina - it was the weirdest thing. Since he was sick, he was in a red sleeper all day. When he took it off for a bath he looked like he was sunburned! I thought the red sleeper bled. Nuh-uh.

They did test your DS for the strep right? I'm betting the overnight comes back positive. Be prepared to get antibiotics tomorrow.

In the mean time, I'd treat it like he has strep and keep him away from your DC kids and vice versa.

Feel better kiddo!
AnneCordelia 05:33 PM 10-09-2012
My daughter and youngest son had scarlet fever last year. It is caused by the strep bacteria and is contagious. Like strep, if it isn't treated with antibiotics then children will continue to be contagious after the symptoms have subsided. That is my understanding of the illness though. I hope your baby feels better!
wahmof3 06:01 PM 10-09-2012
Doctor said no antibiotics or no exclusion as long as he isn't running a fever. Hmmm I know when my DD had it she tested positive for strep & was given antibiotic injections.

And they did not rapid strep test him. It might not be in the throat.

Doctor thinks he had the fever last week and the rash is the virus leaving his body. That's why he doesn't have any other symptoms now.

If he isn't getting any relief tomorrow I will be going to our family doctor.
Meyou 01:35 AM 10-10-2012
My kids have had it twice. We had antibiotics both times. The first time I closed since one of my dd's was really sick but the second time I just isolated them.
AnneCordelia 03:31 AM 10-10-2012
The rash is the body having a reaction to a toxin produced by the strep bacteria. It is not like when the body gets a rash after a virus (hfmd, pox, etc). But scarlet fever is bacterial and not viral.

I would get a second opinion, imo, because the doc is either over simplifying for you or doesn't know about scarlet fever.
Angelsj 06:02 AM 10-10-2012
One of my dds woke up one morning nearly purple!
It was a deep purple rash covering her trunk and face. She had a mild sore throat the day before with a very low grade fever (under 100.) No other symptoms, and no fever that day at all.
She was diagnosed with Scarlet fever. We also go antibiotics. I think I would try another doc or get a better explanation as to no antibiotics.
wahmof3 01:17 PM 10-10-2012
Going for second opinion in the morning
spud912 03:04 PM 10-10-2012
I hope he feels better! Keep us posted on what they say tomorrow!
wahmof3 06:25 AM 10-11-2012
Went to family doctor this morning and I feel horrible for my DS.

He DOES NOT have scarlet fever because there is no fever or strep symptoms.

It is a random rash & they gave him steroids for relief.

DS has been MISERABLE and benadryl was not helping. Hoping that the steroids help!!

Thanks everyone!!
AnneCordelia 06:36 AM 10-11-2012
Awww poor guy! Benadryl makes a cream that I find works well on my ds who is prone to rashiness. Hope you all feel better!
Tags:scarlet fever, strep throat
Reply Up