Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Definition of Potty Trained
CraftyMom 12:43 PM 02-11-2014
I've seen many potty training posts, and have my own strict policy on potty training, but I need to clarify potty trained to a mom who I know will not agree with me. What is your definition of potty trained?
craftymissbeth 12:47 PM 02-11-2014
I feel like this post written by nannyde is the best I've seen regarding potty training.

https://www.daycare.com/nannyde/pott...to-parents.htm
SilverSabre25 12:49 PM 02-11-2014
Able to initiate going, hold it until they get there, manage own clothing (down AND back up), wipe, flush, and wash hands.
blandino 12:53 PM 02-11-2014
From lots of confusion concerning the definition, I have learned to emphasize:

*initiates going
*accident free for at least two weeks before wearing underwear. There seems to be a lot of people who consider a child toilet trained while still having accidents. So I am very clear that I expect toilet trained children to be accident free (any more than 1 in a two week span and they need to return to someone more absorbent/protective than underwear)
*able to complete toileting process (other than wiping for BMs) independently
butterfly 12:55 PM 02-11-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Able to initiate going, hold it until they get there, manage own clothing (down AND back up), wipe, flush, and wash hands.
And be able to TELL me they need to go before going (or go on their own) without me having to bring them every hour.

Just because they are accident free with me taking them every hour, isn't potty trained to me. That means they have ME potty trained! They need to be responsible for reading their own body!
grandmom 02:04 PM 02-11-2014
My definition: when I say they're done, then they're done. Until then, they stay in diapers. No negotiation on this one for me.
CraftyMom 02:55 PM 02-11-2014
Thanks! I have a two week accident free rule. I have a child 2.4 months, been here only a couple weeks. Was "potty trained" at his previous daycare 4 months ago. This means they put him on the potty every hour and he peed. He has NEVER, at home or otherwise, pooped on the potty. Now he is here, and does not initiate potty, and has had at least 5 accidents in his short time here, 3 today alone! And two were poop today yuck! Super unsanitary! Had a talk with dcd at pick up, told him dcb will need to wear pullups until 2 weeks accident free, in my opinion he is not potty trained. Dad then told me they still use pull ups at home and he only wears underwear here!! Seriously? um ya, pullups from now on! I will continue potty training process, but he is NOT potty trained!
thetoddlerwhisper 08:35 AM 02-12-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
this exactly!
Reply Up