Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When Terming Is Needed ..... Help Me Rip Off This Band Aid
284878 07:37 PM 01-04-2019
DCM hours changed but we did not change anything because DCD could be picked up but then DCD was placed on 10 hours and she was 37 minutes late due to him still being at work. So they asked for increased hours. I was not happy but I increased their rates using Nanny adjustable rate schedule, hoping the increase would be temporary.

They paid for the long hours for the week of Christmas. But then DCM emails me just before Christmas and says that DCD just got laid off. --- My first thought, not my problem. They are due to return on the 27th.

The night of the 26th I prep everything just to open for them. At 6:30 AM DCM text to say that the kids are sick and she hopes I got her email. Adding that the kids were not coming either way.
(Her email said something like "DCD got laid off, we need to talk about this", nothing about them not coming until he went back to work)

Payment was also due on the 27th, I waited and she never paid, so I sent her an email responds with, she has three options, one pay as regular, two pay a 'weekly' holding fee or term. They choose the holding fee and sent the money.

Here is my trouble I did not say 'weekly' in my email but I did say per policy and reference the policy page, in their brand new copy of their handbook. This Thursday, came and went and no holding fee, so now they are past due. I do not normally remind people but I will send a text if they have not paid by nap time.

When they paid, the gave me a poor me, we are struggling right now because unemployment check won't start until xx date. --- ugh, not my problem.

Anyways, there was 2x that they were late in December. They did not pay the holding fee on the 3rd, I have not sent a reminder either. Plus the long hours (10.75 a day)

After the announcement of the new hours and dcm being late, I started advertising and reaching out to my waitlist. I had a tour on the 3rd with a family that wants to start at the end of the month. I have sent them the paperwork and started the enrollment process but it is not complete.

However ........
I have excepted a holding fee from my current dcf when I was working on replacing them.

Sooooo how do I term? Do I call them out for not paying the second-week holding fee? Do I refund the 1st holding fee? Do I give them a 2-week notice? (there are 3 weeks until the new family needs to start) What do I do if dcd goes back to work during notice? How do I say goodbye? (it is not working out, come get your stuff)

Please help, please.
Josiegirl 03:14 AM 01-05-2019
Technically, I don't think you'd have to refund their holding fee but I would, just to alleviate any guilt I'd be feeling. That's just me. I'd also give them a 2 week notice(unless new dcf ends up wanting to start right away???). Do you have an enrollment fee or anything from them; is it possible they could back out? I would tell your current dcf that since you need to keep all spaces filled per your business needs, you are giving them notice and 1/19/19 is their last day. UNLESS it's possible your new family needs to change their start date to sooner, then adjust their last day.
I'd hope they could see your business side of it. Although some people just will never understand we do this for income.
coloradoprovider 08:12 AM 01-05-2019
Do I understand this correctly? THEY informed you of the new hours? Are the new hours within your normal operating hours? By accepting their schedule are you extending your operating hours?

Seems at this point, it's best to clarify your mutual understanding with the clients. If they don't want to abide by your policies . . . time to "rip off the bandaid."

The almost 30 years I've been providing family childcare have taught me that if I don't respect my time, no one else will. Mutual respect is the only way to ensure my mental health which directly impacts the atmosphere I want to provide in order to positively impact the children under my care. "If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!"
Blackcat31 08:26 AM 01-05-2019
So they paid the holding fee for one week but haven’t paid the holding fee for the second week and now it’s past due?

If so and your contract says holding fee is due weekly then they forfeited their space themselves due to non payment.

I’d email and let them know holding fee was due weekly per policy and since they didn’t pay on due date, they’ve cancelled their contract and forfeited their space.

No need to explain,or give any other reason other than cancellation due to no payment. Include page from policy book as a courtesy and to show the policy (if they didnt read it that is their issue not yours)
284878 09:16 AM 01-05-2019
Originally Posted by coloradoprovider:
Do I understand this correctly? THEY informed you of the new hours? Are the new hours within your normal operating hours? By accepting their schedule are you extending your operating hours?

Seems at this point, it's best to clarify your mutual understanding with the clients. If they don't want to abide by your policies . . . time to "rip off the bandaid."

The almost 30 years I've been providing family childcare have taught me that if I don't respect my time, no one else will. Mutual respect is the only way to ensure my mental health which directly impacts the atmosphere I want to provide in order to positively impact the children under my care. "If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!"
I am contract hour daycare with a limit of 9.5 hours per day. At drop off one day, she said, I got a new job and I will be working more hours. She went on to say that it was a little farther away and it looks like she would need to drop off a little early and she would let me know the hours she was going to need. My unofficial hours are 7-5 and they were coming 730-430, I thought they were changing to 7-430. I felt a new job was a legit reason to request new hours.
The weekend before she emails with the times and she wants 7-5 except for one day (Thursday) she asked for 7-530. Then Monday she calls at 430 saying she made a mistake and dcd was on 10 hours, so he would not be able to get here on time and needed a later pickup time for every day, starting today. I was steamed and if I didn't need the money I would have packed their things right then.
I got my kids ready so we could leave when she arrived. I walked at of my house right behind her. I wanted her to know that she was causing me to be late.
So yes, she informed me of her hours and I charged her more with the hopes that dcd 10 hours were temporary. The weeks prior to this he was picking up between 330-430 but then he got laid off.
284878 09:45 AM 01-05-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
So they paid the holding fee for one week but haven’t paid the holding fee for the second week and now it’s past due?

If so and your contract says holding fee is due weekly then they forfeited their space themselves due to nonpayment.

I’d email and let them know holding fee was due weekly per policy and since they didn’t pay on due date, they’ve canceled their contract and forfeited their space.

No need to explain, or give any other reason other than cancellation due to no payment. Include page from policy book as a courtesy and to show the policy (if they didn't read it that is their issue, not yours)
Yes, this is true they have not paid for the second week. I also did not remind them but with that said I do not have it in my policies that I am responsible to remind them. However, following most business practices, a late notice invoice would normally be sent out.
284878 09:49 AM 01-05-2019
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Technically, I don't think you'd have to refund their holding fee but I would, just to alleviate any guilt I'd be feeling. That's just me. I'd also give them a 2 week notice(unless new dcf ends up wanting to start right away???). Do you have an enrollment fee or anything from them; is it possible they could back out? I would tell your current dcf that since you need to keep all spaces filled per your business needs, you are giving them notice and 1/19/19 is their last day. UNLESS it's possible your new family needs to change their start date to sooner, then adjust their last day.
I'd hope they could see your business side of it. Although some people just will never understand we do this for income.
No, I do not have the enrollment fee from them but DCM is working on the paperwork and emailing it currently.

Currently, they are not attending and not up to date with their holding fee. Do you really feel that a 2-week notice would be required?
Josiegirl 01:25 PM 01-05-2019
Originally Posted by 284878:
No, I do not have the enrollment fee from them but DCM is working on the paperwork and emailing it currently.

Currently, they are not attending and not up to date with their holding fee. Do you really feel that a 2-week notice would be required?
No, I don't believe you owe them anything because it sounds like they've broken their dc contract with you through nonpayment. Whether or not they know they should've been paying a holding fee each week, it sounds like it's written in your policies and they should've been informed through that. Is it written in your policies and did they sign something affirming they've read and understood it? They cannot expect you to stay in limbo due to their troubles. I feel the 2 week notice isn't necessary but if the dcf isn't starting for 3 weeks, I don't see the harm in giving it either.
Blackcat31 03:34 PM 01-05-2019
Yes, this is true they have not paid for the second week. I also did not remind them but with that said I do not have it in my policies that I am responsible to remind them. However, following most business practices, a late notice invoice would normally be sent out.
You are right, sending a reminder invoice to a family ATTENDING (not a family “holding” a space) is a courtesy most of us extend.

We don’t promise a reminder “contractually” or in writing.
I assume we do it mostly because we plan to continue having them as clients and want to avoid awkwardness or termination.

Not paying the required holding fee IS a policy violation and a great “out” or reason to term IMO since this is a family you don’t want to continue as clients
284878 08:01 PM 01-05-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
You are right, sending a reminder invoice to a family ATTENDING (not a family “holding” a space) is a courtesy most of us extend.

We don’t promise a reminder “contractually” or in writing.
I assume we do it mostly because we plan to continue having them as clients and want to avoid awkwardness or termination.

Not paying the required holding fee IS a policy violation and a great “out” or reason to term IMO since this is a family you don’t want to continue as clients
Thank you, I just remembered, this is not the first time DCM has paid me a holding fee. They paid me 1.5 years ago while DCD was off on disability. DCk came two days and they paid a holding fee for the other two days. (attended T and TH, pay holding fee for M and W) Still the same policy as before.

what way is the best way to return their belongings?
Cat Herder 06:10 AM 01-06-2019
what way is the best way to return their belongings?
You can have them come pick them up and hand the package to them. - Easiest, cheapest.

You can tell them their stuff will be packaged on the front porch for pick-up and be gone. -Risky, but works for those nervous of confrontation.

You can mail them to their home address with their final W-10, sign on receipt. - Can be spendy.
Tags:backbone - not, terminate - non-payment
Reply Up