Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When You Close Your Daycare
BusyBee 12:41 PM 06-08-2011
I know this is a long way off, as I won't be closing until next summer, but I have a question.

When you close what do you do about vacation pay? For example, I have the parents pay me 1/2 rate for my 2 weeks of vacation and they each get a week of unpaid. Say that I take one of my weeks in the spring (we usually take a family trip) but none of the families take their vacations until summer (as per usual). If they don't take their vacations before I close (probably August 1 of next year) do they just lose it? Would you reimburse them for the 1/2 rate that they paid in the spring or do they just lose it?

Maybe a dumb question, but I haven't been doing this long and am not sure what to do about that. I like to plan--obviously!--and want to have all of my ducks in a row. I keep planning my closing in my mind and don't want to have issues when the time comes.
wdmmom 12:55 PM 06-08-2011
I offer my families a 2 week vacation at 1/2 the normal rate as long as I receive a months notice and "vacation" consists of an entire week.

I'm taking my vacation in 2 weeks. Any parent that has payment due while I am gone is required to pay it in advance.

For example:

If parent pays weekly, they are required to pay a week in advance. If parent pays monthly and payment is due on the 1st, payment is due before I go on vacation.

Any discount the parent is offered and doesn't take is forfeited.
BusyBee 08:35 PM 06-08-2011
So even if you are closing before they would have a chance to take it?

No one else has any opinion??? I know it is a long way off, but I would still like input on this if you have time... TIA
MyAngels 05:58 AM 06-09-2011
Originally Posted by BusyBee:
I know this is a long way off, as I won't be closing until next summer, but I have a question.

When you close what do you do about vacation pay? For example, I have the parents pay me 1/2 rate for my 2 weeks of vacation and they each get a week of unpaid. Say that I take one of my weeks in the spring (we usually take a family trip) but none of the families take their vacations until summer (as per usual). If they don't take their vacations before I close (probably August 1 of next year) do they just lose it? Would you reimburse them for the 1/2 rate that they paid in the spring or do they just lose it?

Maybe a dumb question, but I haven't been doing this long and am not sure what to do about that. I like to plan--obviously!--and want to have all of my ducks in a row. I keep planning my closing in my mind and don't want to have issues when the time comes.
If you are talking about closing your daycare permanently next August, and give ample notice that that is what you are planning to do, then I would say that any vacation that they have not used at that time they will lose.
Cat Herder 06:09 AM 06-09-2011
In January, I personally would give them my permanent closing date on their Annual Closings Calendar and a simple reminder that they need to get their Unpaid Vacation Schedules in before that time. (I give 2 free weeks per family)

Some may even choose not to use it, most probably will. I would not refund yours since they had the option of using their time as well.

Be prepared that most will probably leave BEFORE your last week since they will start looking for care immediately. Many providers would wait until 30 days before closing to give notice, but even that leaves you with partial pay as most get in that free week and leave early, YKWIM?

IMHO, you should start putting aside a bit of floater money weekly for the rest of your time... I am also a planner.
momma2girls 06:39 AM 06-09-2011
Definately take all remaining vacation!! You deserve it!!!
Tags:closing daycare, notice of closure, vacation pay
Reply Up