Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>give me strength!
MsMe 01:52 PM 08-10-2012
to get through the last week of summer with a school age child who KNOWS EVERYTHING!

He is not "bad" or even "naughty" he just has an opinion on EVERYTHING! Tries to make a dozen rules when playing witht the younger kids and won't let them just play! He is forever telling/asking me what to do next when I haven't even finshed the thing I am doing (I keep telling him I know what I need to do he doesn't need to tell me)

...and the final straw was a few weeks ago when he became the proud owner if a WATCH!!!! no more sneeking 5 more minutes of peace out of nap time bc he is all over telling me nap time ends in 20 , 19, 18 minutes!!!!

If a child even leaves his sight he is immediatly asking where when how and why....jeeze kid back off!!
Blackcat31 01:56 PM 08-10-2012
*sigh* ((((hugs)))) to you because I know EXACTLY what you mean!

Glad I don't have to deal any more but the feeling is still fresh in my mind so I can totally relate!

You can do this though!!

There IS a light at the end of the tunnel!!!

Only a few more days.....

It won't be forever!!!

Hang on.....you are almost there!
Happy Hearts 02:57 PM 08-10-2012
Him giving you a countdown would probably drive you nuts! It would me. How about giving him timed activities like see how many four-leaf clovers he can find in 10 minutes. About the know-it-all thing; very irksome. I would flat out tell him his behaviour is rude to an adult and ask him to go find something to do and let me finish what I'm doing on my own.
daycare 03:03 PM 08-10-2012
stock the house with chocolate.....lol lots and lots of chocolate....lol
daycarediva 03:10 PM 08-10-2012
I don't think it's wrong to tell an older child you find his behavior rude. I certainly would!

I am counting down to the end of SA care for summer (3 weeks 2 days!)...and all together! No more SA kids for me!
AmyLeigh 04:43 PM 08-10-2012

I have his clone!!

I can't have a conversation with anyone, including my own children, without him wanting to know what, why, when, were, and how about it. Even the 2.5 yo dcg yells at him to leave her alone! He's a sweetie, but can really get on my nerves at times.

You can do it!!!!
MsMe 06:24 PM 08-10-2012
I only allow SA that I have had as full time in the past that still have a younger sibling still in care. His brother is fallowing right behind him Normally they are part time, but two months starting mid July they come full time while Mom has to go full time at work. I NEED those breaks from them and the watch put me over the edge.

I have resorted to have talks with him that his behavior is rude and he should respect me. I am also thinking I need to have the watch be put away....but now that he is so used to it I am sure he would just ask me what time it is more often....

One. More. Week.
e.j. 11:44 AM 08-11-2012
Originally Posted by MsMe:
...and the final straw was a few weeks ago when he became the proud owner if a WATCH!!!! no more sneeking 5 more minutes of peace out of nap time bc he is all over telling me nap time ends in 20 , 19, 18 minutes!!!!
I would tell him, "I will add 10 minutes to nap time for each second you count down. Nap time is over when I say it's over and not until. Put your watch away please."
jojosmommy 06:29 PM 08-12-2012
Originally Posted by e.j.:
I would tell him, "I will add 10 minutes to nap time for each second you count down. Nap time is over when I say it's over and not until. Put your watch away please."
This was the first thing I thought of. Tell him his watch needs a nap and put it at the snack table .
Zoe 09:43 AM 08-13-2012
I have the same problem, only it's my own daughter! Don't get me wrong, I love her to pieces but oh my goodness is she bugging me! She's going into first grade and I'm counting down the days where she can expand her mind at school, not at home!
Reply Up