Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Some Advice. Spot Holding
NiNi.R. 06:43 AM 08-20-2012
Most recently I changed my daycare hours. Cutting me down to 3 families. 2 of them have infants on the way (due within days of each other) and both infants will have a start date at about the same time. Both of them have an older sibling in care.

Well 1 family decided that their 3 year old was going to attend a preschool with after school care. They would need care for him during the summer months or school closures and would still like for me to keep the baby.

The 2nd family is unsure rather she will at first go back to work only part time before returning full time.

With the unexpected change of the one child going to preschool money is going to be really tight until the infants start. I've also had several people contacting me needing care all of a sudden.

I have a spot holding policy I would like to implement in Sept. so I can make sure that these mom's will follow through with their plans for their babies to attend. I know the 2nd family won't have an issue with this.

The first family termed their original contract for their 3 year old. So I guess my question is do I email them the new paperwork for the baby and ask them to return a signed contract for the unborn baby to implement the spot holding fee and then have them return the rest of the paperwork on the infant's start date.

How would you handle this? This would be the first time I would have a non enrolled client pay to hold a spot. Thanks in advance!
JenNJ 06:56 AM 08-20-2012
I do NOT hold spots for ANYONE without pay. Not just a deposit either. I have 5 spaces. Each one is worth 1/5th of my income. If someone wants me to hold a spot, they must pay for it or chance that it will not be there when they need it.
Blackcat31 07:07 AM 08-20-2012
Originally Posted by NiNi.R.:
With the unexpected change of the one child going to preschool money is going to be really tight until the infants start.
I've also had several people contacting me needing care all of a sudden.!
If you have people calling to fill spaces, I would fill them. YOUR income is important and I am sure why you are doing this in the first place.

Originally Posted by NiNi.R.:
I have a spot holding policy I would like to implement in Sept. so I can make sure that these mom's will follow through with their plans for their babies to attend. I know the 2nd family won't have an issue with this.

The first family termed their original contract for their 3 year old. So I guess my question is do I email them the new paperwork for the baby and ask them to return a signed contract for the unborn baby to implement the spot holding fee and then have them return the rest of the paperwork on the infant's start date.

How would you handle this? This would be the first time I would have a non enrolled client pay to hold a spot. Thanks in advance!
Personally I wouldnt hold a space for a reduced fee at all. Like JenNJ said, each space is worth *** dollars and unless the space is filled you are taking a loss. I would require the parent to pay for the space in full since you have other people interested in you.

If you don't have other potential clients and really want to take this family, then I might consider requiring a holding fee of 50% of the normal rate but no less.

I would e-mail them the new policy immediately so they can let you know of thier intentions and prepare for making budget changes if necessary.

Either way, don't sell yourself short or take the loss in income because of someone else's situation.
Reply Up