Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How to Find Substitutes and Assistants?
Lil_Diddle 09:59 PM 01-10-2019
I’ve been fortunate the last few years to be able to hire friends and acquaintances as my substitutes and assistants. Im an in-Home daycare with the business completely out of my basement. So separate from my living area. I don’t have to have an assistant but I choose to, and she comes in for four hours a day, four days a week. I also like to have someone that comes in one day a week. I get a day off to run errands or just do as I please and I now have two people that are available should I have to close, that are familiar with the children, families and how I run things.

Anyways, my one day a week substitute quit in november and I can’t seem to find a replacement. Ideas on where to find a quality person? Someone that I would be able to trust in my home and with the children. I’m very nervous about going too public in my search.
amberrose3dg 03:21 AM 01-11-2019
Originally Posted by Lil_Diddle:
I’ve been fortunate the last few years to be able to hire friends and acquaintances as my substitutes and assistants. Im an in-Home daycare with the business completely out of my basement. So separate from my living area. I don’t have to have an assistant but I choose to, and she comes in for four hours a day, four days a week. I also like to have someone that comes in one day a week. I get a day off to run errands or just do as I please and I now have two people that are available should I have to close, that are familiar with the children, families and how I run things.

Anyways, my one day a week substitute quit in november and I can’t seem to find a replacement. Ideas on where to find a quality person? Someone that I would be able to trust in my home and with the children. I’m very nervous about going too public in my search.
I will be honest this is why I stopped doing the all day daycare. Finding people that are good, reliable and want to work was exhausting. I am hoping you have better luck. For me it appeared they were lazy and thought they could show up and sit around or call often and keep their job.
Indeed allows for you to post a job for free. You may find more qualified persons there .I would stay off craigslist if you can.
LittleExplorers 05:44 AM 01-11-2019
My mother in law is my only sub. Maybe reach out to a local college with a child development program.
Jupadia 06:54 AM 01-11-2019
Wish I could help, my MIL is also my sub, with my husband filling in for true emergencies. But I'm lucky cause she retired last year so she is usually available.
Can you check with other providers near you to see where they find their subs.
Lil_Diddle 10:42 AM 01-11-2019
I would never use craigslist or any swap pages, I’m really hoping to find someone that comes personally recommended. I care for all teachers kids, so I asked them first. Then reached out to a select group of my fb friends and acquaintances. I’ve then put it public on my personal fb page (which I am very particular who I’m friends with) I’ve now reached out to my local parents as teachers, hoping they know a SAHM that would live some extra income. They can bring their child because I’m not at full capacity.

I just don’t know where to go from here, I’m really missing my one day off a week. 55 hours a week, plus now I’m doing my grocery shopping etc on my weekends. I have a 3 year old that’s home 24/7. For my mental health I just need one day a week I can count on.
HL0605 02:40 PM 01-11-2019
I use Care.com. It costs $30 to join I think. I usually cancel after the first month as I typically find several quality candidates in the first 30 days. I have also used by neighborhood facebook page to find candidates. I live in a large city in the same neighborhood as one of the largest universities in the nation, so I think I probably have an easier time than most finding highly qualified college students. I typically just need someone 10-12 hours a week, and that fits most student schedules well.
Lil_Diddle 11:57 PM 01-12-2019
Originally Posted by HL0605:
I use Care.com. It costs $30 to join I think. I usually cancel after the first month as I typically find several quality candidates in the first 30 days. I have also used by neighborhood facebook page to find candidates. I live in a large city in the same neighborhood as one of the largest universities in the nation, so I think I probably have an easier time than most finding highly qualified college students. I typically just need someone 10-12 hours a week, and that fits most student schedules well.
I live in a rural area, so that’s not an option. I looked into care.com but it doesn’t look like anyone near my area used it. Just the biggest city which is an hour away from me.
BumbleBee 11:35 AM 01-13-2019
I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I've had 2 assistants in the last 3 years. 1 worked 7 months and left to start her own daycare, the other has been here 2 years. The one who has been here for 2 years isn't great but options are slim and I don't want to jump out of frying pan into the fire.

My mom is a back up/emergency assistant but I try not to use her often because of some health issues she has.
Tags:assistant, assistants, substitute
Reply Up