Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parents vs Licensing
Unregistered 07:20 AM 12-05-2017
My bosses seem to think that parental requests override what the state says.

State says no blankets in cribs for kids under 12 months. Parents bring in blankets and instruct us to keep them in the cribs.

Parents request food and milk/formula stay at room temperature. State says it is to be refrigerated until ready to be consumed-then it needs to be disposed of in a timely manner.

How would you handle this? I think we should go by the state. If parents want something else, they need to hire a private caregiver. Otherwise, their child needs to deal with what licensing mandates.
Cat Herder 07:27 AM 12-05-2017
As is said here constantly "Parents can't give you permission to do the wrong thing".

Sounds like you need to tell your boss no. If nothing is done, file a complaint.

We are mandated reporters.
Blackcat31 07:27 AM 12-05-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
My bosses seem to think that parental requests override what the state says.

State says no blankets in cribs for kids under 12 months. Parents bring in blankets and instruct us to keep them in the cribs.

Parents request food and milk/formula stay at room temperature. State says it is to be refrigerated until ready to be consumed-then it needs to be disposed of in a timely manner.

How would you handle this? I think we should go by the state. If parents want something else, they need to hire a private caregiver. Otherwise, their child needs to deal with what licensing mandates.
Are you staff in a center or working in a different capacity?

I wouldn't follow any directive that goes against state licensing rules. If "forced" by my employer, I'd quit and I'd report to the state. Most rules, especially those in regards to safe sleep are in place for a reason and aren't suggestions.
LysesKids 07:43 AM 12-05-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Are you staff in a center or working in a different capacity?

I wouldn't follow any directive that goes against state licensing rules. If "forced" by my employer, I'd quit and I'd report to the state. Most rules, especially those in regards to safe sleep are in place for a reason and aren't suggestions.
This is the kind of stuff that made me quit the only center I worked for... I also wasn't hired at one because I wouldn't discipline how they wanted (against state rules); during the interview they got pretty pissy with me for how I want to handle things, needless to say I'm glad I didn't work there & the one I did work for got closed down for major violations (which I turned them in for )
DaveA 08:32 AM 12-05-2017
Like the others said- parents cannot give permission to violate licensing regulations. Any Director not enforcing that is begging to get in trouble.
Josiegirl 02:23 AM 12-06-2017
To me, it'd be a no-brainer to follow the state regs as opposed to the parental requests. Have dcps really pushed it or are they merely saying 'this is how we do things at home'?
Any owner, director, even in home operator knows the state rules in this aspect of the job. They hold the key. And while I don't always agree with their perspective, if you don't play by their rules, you're in the wrong.
Just wanted to add: if a baby suffocates because you've let them sleep with their blanket who do you think the parents are going to find fault with?
Leigh 06:40 AM 12-06-2017
I wouldn't do it. It might be the center's policy, but there is no way I would put a blanket in with an infant. If I saw someone else had, I would remove it and I WOULD call licensing. I know of 2 babies personally who have died from blankets in the crib and there is no way I would ever stand by and watch that happen.

The milk/formula at room temp is easily solved by a bottle warmer. I'd store properly and then heat it up.
Cat Herder 06:51 AM 12-06-2017
Originally Posted by Leigh:
The milk/formula at room temp is easily solved by a bottle warmer. I'd store properly and then heat it up.
Bottle warmers are being pulled from center regulations because kids keep getting access to boiling water and ending up with severe burns. A workable solution has not been found (read "agreed on across the boards") yet so many centers are in limbo with this issue.
Unregistered 09:28 AM 12-06-2017
We have a crock pot, but we also have parents who don’t want the bottles heated- just left out.

The number of violations here is staggering, but I’m torn about how to deal with them since I really need this job, and I don’t have a back-up plan.
daycarediva 09:43 AM 12-06-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
As is said here constantly "Parents can't give you permission to do the wrong thing".

Sounds like you need to tell your boss no. If nothing is done, file a complaint.

We are mandated reporters.
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
To me, it'd be a no-brainer to follow the state regs as opposed to the parental requests. Have dcps really pushed it or are they merely saying 'this is how we do things at home'?
Any owner, director, even in home operator knows the state rules in this aspect of the job. They hold the key. And while I don't always agree with their perspective, if you don't play by their rules, you're in the wrong.
Just wanted to add: if a baby suffocates because you've let them sleep with their blanket who do you think the parents are going to find fault with?

Parents cannot give you permission to break regulations.

I would be looking for a new job. Advertise as a nanny, if possible. Are you in the position to open your own home daycare?
Unregistered 10:00 AM 12-06-2017
I live at home with my parents, so I don't really have the space to open up my own daycare. I have profiles on Nannies4Hire and Care.com, but nothing has come of that.

I'd look at other daycares, but it's a bit of a challenge to interview when I'm working full-time; at least a private nanny job could offer a chance to interview on a Saturday.
DaveA 10:09 AM 12-06-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Parents cannot give you permission to break regulations.

I would be looking for a new job. Advertise as a nanny, if possible. Are you in the position to open your own home daycare?
I would suggest this also. If there are major issues like you're saying it will blow up in the director's face eventually. You want to avoid having to apply for a job at another center because the one you were employed at just got shut down. That's a tough situation to put yourself in. Job hunting sucks- it sucks more when you pay for someone else's bad reputation.
Leigh 10:28 AM 12-06-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Bottle warmers are being pulled from center regulations because kids keep getting access to boiling water and ending up with severe burns. A workable solution has not been found (read "agreed on across the boards") yet so many centers are in limbo with this issue.
I just used a wrap style bottle warmer when I used one, I never thought of the hot water type.
Tags:bottle warmers, licensing regulations, parents - don't cooperate, regulations
Reply Up