Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant HiMama Childcare App

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:59 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Late Fee W/Inclement Weather?

Here is my situation:

I recently imposed a late fee of 10 dollars per day because I now have a family who seems to NEED a late fee.

When the money was due last week ( a week after signing the new contract, with late fees specified), the parent said she did not have the money. She would pay me this week for both weeks. I explained to her that this would include the late fees. She said ok. Ugh-I'd rather just have the regular pay on time!

Anyway, today is the day she's supposed to pay both of those weeks. School systems are closed because of ice and I have a feeling she will not be showing up. I stay open for business and I only refund money for the day if there is a state of emergency (which there is not). My question, when she suddenly doesn't show up today...would you charge her an additional day of late fees? I'm generally very kind and give the parents the benefit but in this situation, I'm feeling like she'd be taking advantage of me. At least by this afternoon, ice will be melted enough that she could come pay me.

Any thoughts? Am I being unreasonable? I hate being taken advantage of and ASKING for my payment. I feel like saying WELL if you wouldn't like me to go into foreclosure, and close the business, PLEASE pay lol
Old 01-18-2011, 05:08 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I would not charge her a late fee for today as long as she gives sufficient notice she is not coming. No call; add a "inconsiderate" fee.

I would definitely still charge normal fee's for the day since you are open.

As for tomorrow, she may not drop off without all past due fees paid.

You are not being unfair to anyone but yourself.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:27 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I would charge a late fee for the day, like you said she could wait until the afternoon when most of the ice is melted to swing by. Plus, she is already a week behind in payments... she owes you the money TODAY no matter what. I would also NOT accept her child in daycare until she is paid up in full.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:32 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie View Post
I would charge a late fee for the day, like you said she could wait until the afternoon when most of the ice is melted to swing by. Plus, she is already a week behind in payments... she owes you the money TODAY no matter what. I would also NOT accept her child in daycare until she is paid up in full.
Thanks. Yes, I already intended on telling her that her child would not stay without payment ( I just didn't anticipate the weather playing into things Thanks for the support.

Tags
late fee, weather