Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>The Baby That Won't Sleep...
threelittles 10:20 AM 10-23-2014
She's 11 months old. Screams her bloody head off in the pack n play. Will fall asleep for 10-15 min max and then wakes up in it screaming. Of course she sleeps fine on my chest for 1-2 hours, but that can't be happening. So what would you do--"train" her to sleep in the crib longer? Just deal with only 15 min nap a day? Help!
AuntTami 10:30 AM 10-23-2014
Originally Posted by threelittles:
She's 11 months old. Screams her bloody head off in the pack n play. Will fall asleep for 10-15 min max and then wakes up in it screaming. Of course she sleeps fine on my chest for 1-2 hours, but that can't be happening. So what would you do--"train" her to sleep in the crib longer? Just deal with only 15 min nap a day? Help!
Can you play some soft music or even the sound of a heart beat through a speaker? Maybe she's just a light sleeper. My DCB sleeps with "lullabye radio" on in the nap room and he sleeps for 2-3 hours and goes down without one single tear but he still has to be snuggled to sleep with his mom. I attribute a lot of that to the music. It's calming and soothing and just loud enough to drown out all the "daily city noise" and any noise from my dogs.... Just a thought.
Heidi 10:36 AM 10-23-2014
I would go back in, tell her(very quietly) it's still nap time, and lay her back down. Every single time until nap time is over. I'd wait longer between each "visit". I'd do that for a few days, then stop going in altogether.

You could use an external "cue" to let her know what that is. A clock radio is a good one. Set it for when ever nap is over, wait by the door, and when it goes off, go in and say "oh, the music says it's time to get up! Did you have a good nap?" Also, I refuse to get someone who is screaming out of a bed. I put a hand up in front of me and say "Stooooop" very slowly, then wait. As SOON as she basically takes a breathe, I say "thank you" cheerfully, and get them up. If they keep going, I talk over them "I will get you out when you stop"..."Stoooop".

Mine are allowed to have a book to look at (and over a year, a doll or stuffed animal). That sometimes helps.

Oh, and when I put them to bed, I show them the bed, say "her is your lovely bed. Aren't you lucky to get to go night night. Here is your blanket. etc. Sing-songy voice. I lay them down and rub they're back or belly (by now, all of mine are tummy sleepers) for a minute, and then say "I will come get you when nap is over...night night"
Heidi 10:37 AM 10-23-2014
Originally Posted by AuntTami:
Can you play some soft music or even the sound of a heart beat through a speaker? Maybe she's just a light sleeper. My DCB sleeps with "lullabye radio" on in the nap room and he sleeps for 2-3 hours and goes down without one single tear but he still has to be snuggled to sleep with his mom. I attribute a lot of that to the music. It's calming and soothing and just loud enough to drown out all the "daily city noise" and any noise from my dogs.... Just a thought.

I got one of those cheap white noise machines that plays waterfalls or something. Or, the TV (cover the screen), with the "soundscapes" station on, if you have that option.
taylorw1210 10:47 AM 10-23-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:

I got one of those cheap white noise machines that plays waterfalls or something. Or, the TV (cover the screen), with the "soundscapes" station on, if you have that option.
We listen to soundscapes everyday during nap.

I do the same as Heidi. It works for my kids 99% of the time. Unfortunately I have a little girl who I've had since 6 weeks, who is an AWFUL napper and we have to reset every few weeks. She'll have a string of wonderful naps, and then we are spending a week or two with her screaming through naps before we adjust again. It stinks and it's been like this from 6 weeks to current, and she's 17 months.
Shell 10:48 AM 10-23-2014
I am dealing with this with dcg, 7 months. I put in all the hard work months ago, and she would sleep for hours at a time. Then, she caught a cold, and dcm started bringing her into bed so she would sleep. Parents also now hold her until she is totally asleep and then transfer her to the crib. So I once again have a child that sleeps for 15 mins and then screams until she is picked up. I honestly don't know- Heidi had the most excellent advice, and it was working...now I'm back to square one. I'm guessing your dc parents are doing similar things, based on how yours will sleep in your arms. I feel that if the parents aren't helping the child go down for nap when sleepy, and still awake, it's going to be a battle. Consistency is key, and routine is all that worked in the past, Good luck!
KSDC 11:20 AM 10-23-2014
I had this child. First year of her life was tough in my DC. But, when she turned 1, I transitioned her to a sleep mat with the other "big" kids. It was a miracle. From the 1st day, she went right down, fell asleep and slept for 2 hours! Longest nap of her life in my home! She is 19 months now and is still a great napper.
Elko 06:08 PM 10-23-2014
What do they do at home?

I'm always curious about this as (you may have read ) I work as an assistant and bring my nursing toddler with me.

I didn't bring her to daycare before, but when I left her with friends or family after about 12 months I always got a report that she would sleep for them if they spent a little while rubbing her back. Before that, it was touch and go.

I'm no help, but curious what the parents say they do for sleep in case that would give a clue?
hope 06:38 PM 10-23-2014
I have 7 month old dcg that won't sleep either. Here for 9 hours and sleeps 25 minutes total. I think it started with parents sleeping her in swing. Think they stopped that. They carry her around all day on the weekends. Hoping consistency here helps. Sleep sack seems to help if you can use one.
SignMeUp 09:04 PM 10-23-2014
Originally Posted by hope:
I have 7 month old dcg that won't sleep either. Here for 9 hours and sleeps 25 minutes total. I think it started with parents sleeping her in swing. Think they stopped that. They carry her around all day on the weekends. Hoping consistency here helps. Sleep sack seems to help if you can use one.
My five month old does not sleep in a crib at home, but has transitioned well here, using a long-sleeved sleep sack. It's just snug enough to inhibit movement a tiny bit, and that seems to help. The leg box is pretty much straight, not flared out.
hope 04:11 AM 10-24-2014
Originally Posted by SignMeUp:
My five month old does not sleep in a crib at home, but has transitioned well here, using a long-sleeved sleep sack. It's just snug enough to inhibit movement a tiny bit, and that seems to help. The leg box is pretty much straight, not flared out.
I didn't even know they made ones that don't flare out. Thank you! I will be out shopping for one this weekend!
threelittles 11:52 AM 10-27-2014
Well for 3 days now I have been letting her tough it out, giving some reassurance every 10-15 min with a nice soothing voice. She will NOT sleep now. She's exhausted, crabby, I cannot have her in my arms every minute, I can not have her napping on me. This has to end!!!! I'm at my absolute wit send because hours of crying isn't healthy for anyone.
Cradle2crayons 12:05 PM 10-27-2014
Well for 3 days now I have been letting her tough it out, giving some reassurance every 10-15 min with a nice soothing voice. She will NOT sleep now. She's exhausted, crabby, I cannot have her in my arms every minute, I can not have her napping on me. This has to end!!!! I'm at my absolute wit send because hours of crying isn't healthy for anyone.
Does she startle? Flail and wake or flail and can't fall asleep?

My youngest dcb who is now 5 months old... Had a startle wake issue... And had a hard time falling asleep flailing around.

I started using a folded weighted blanked across his legs. Removed after he fell asleep. Had parents do the same. Works like a charm. We are now two weeks into him napping awesomely on schedule here... And sleeping all night at home. Which I think is amazing considering he's in an alternating schedule. Two weeks 5:00 am until 3:00 pm and then two weeks of 1:00 pm until 11:00 pm.
threelittles 12:18 PM 10-27-2014
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
Does she startle? Flail and wake or flail and can't fall asleep?

My youngest dcb who is now 5 months old... Had a startle wake issue... And had a hard time falling asleep flailing around.

I started using a folded weighted blanked across his legs. Removed after he fell asleep. Had parents do the same. Works like a charm. We are now two weeks into him napping awesomely on schedule here... And sleeping all night at home. Which I think is amazing considering he's in an alternating schedule. Two weeks 5:00 am until 3:00 pm and then two weeks of 1:00 pm until 11:00 pm.
No she screams to fall asleep and will slowly wake up then start screaming. Parents rock her to sleep every time.
Cradle2crayons 12:33 PM 10-27-2014
No she screams to fall asleep and will slowly wake up then start screaming. Parents rock her to sleep every time.
Ahhhhh thankfully, my dcb parents are awesome and were totally on board with he plan. I sat mom and dad down a month ago after two weeks of care and had THE TALK. We came up with a plan and schedule together. They are sticking with it.

The baby has reflux and hey had him in a vibrating bassinet thing by their bed. He's now in his crib.. Without vibration.. Flat on his back... With a monitor. Parents are so happy. The first night he slept all night, mom calls me on a sat morning so excited and proud of herself for sticking with it. After a few days of seeing the benefit of our efforts... They would follow me off a cliff if I said jump.
Tags:won't sleep
Reply Up