Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Handwriting Without Tears.... Who Has It??
Crazy8 10:01 AM 08-27-2012
I think it was mentioned here, and just saw a local preschool uses it. Was looking around on their site and trying to figure out what it all entails.

If you use it, what is the essentials to buy? The Pre-K kit looks to be $99. Do I need anything else?? My kids are all young - under 4 - should I even bother with this at all?? What does it do that is different then just teaching by recognition, tracing, etc.???

Their ipad app is $4.99 - wonder if its worth it?? Anyone have it???
SquirrellyMama 10:22 AM 08-27-2012
I haven't used it but I think I can answer at least one question. It is different from tracing because it is a multi-sensory approach. You use wooden letters, a slate board and workbooks.

I don't think you need to start them at 4 though. I think K is a great time to start handwriting. It isn't bad to start at 4 if they are ready. But... It can be very frustrating for kids who are not ready.

I would work on letter recognition and maybe finger tracing of letters at this age. Actually, playing with the wooden letters and the chalk board would be lots of fun for the kids too. I wouldn't stress writing letters too much if they aren't ready.

The ipad app looks like fun.
Annalee 10:25 AM 08-27-2012
My "special needs" nephew was introduced to these through his homebound teacher....I traced them off on pieces of foam and had my uncle make them for me out of wood.....then ordered the letter pages that are laminated so the children can make the letters using the pieces. There are workbooks to be ordered as well along with more expensive stuff, but I didn't order anything else. My children love the wooden pieces and making the letters. I placed the pages in a binder. Hope this helps.
Crazy8 12:43 PM 08-27-2012
Originally Posted by SquirrellyMama:
I haven't used it but I think I can answer at least one question. It is different from tracing because it is a multi-sensory approach. You use wooden letters, a slate board and workbooks.

I don't think you need to start them at 4 though. I think K is a great time to start handwriting. It isn't bad to start at 4 if they are ready. But... It can be very frustrating for kids who are not ready.

I would work on letter recognition and maybe finger tracing of letters at this age. Actually, playing with the wooden letters and the chalk board would be lots of fun for the kids too. I wouldn't stress writing letters too much if they aren't ready.

The ipad app looks like fun.
I was looking at their pre-k program though, its called "get set for school" so wouldn't that be for 3-4 year olds?? I figured maybe it was more about letter recognition, etc. not the actual handwriting part that is in their K/1st program.
snbauser 05:48 PM 08-27-2012
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
I was looking at their pre-k program though, its called "get set for school" so wouldn't that be for 3-4 year olds?? I figured maybe it was more about letter recognition, etc. not the actual handwriting part that is in their K/1st program.
I use the program with my 3's and 4's but only use the workbooks and the chalkboards with the 4's. They are not recommended for any younger the 4's because most of the 4's do not have the fine motor skills to form letters the correct way and should be focusing more on strengthening those skills. My 3's like the mat man and can use the wooden letters and dough letters.
AmyLeigh 07:29 PM 08-27-2012
I don't know about the pre-K specifically, but I use it for homeschooling (1st grade and 4th grade this year) and we love it. I don't start handwriting until K. Until then, we just work on fine motor skills by doing simple art and crafts.
melskids 03:46 AM 08-28-2012
I have most of the materials from HWT. I do use it with my 3 and 4's, but its mostly just for them to manipulate and practice their fine motor skills.

It's not just about handwriting, as the name implies. It's about letter recognition as well.

We have the wood shapes to make letters, the stamp & see set, the chalkboards, and the roll a dough letters.

I dont bother with the workbooks, as mine are too young, and I dont feel worksheets are appropriate for their age.
Reply Up