Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Damned If You Do, Damned If You Don't
Bookworm 02:42 PM 10-07-2016
I started at a new center 6 wks ago and I received my first jaw drop.

A hurricane is headed for us and our state shut down Wednesday. Schools, Government offices, various businesses and a large amount of daycares have been closed since then. We were one of the few open all three days and around 90% of our parents were off all three days.

Starting Tuesday afternoon, several parents started complaining about us BEING OPEN. They claimed we were "not being considerate" to the parents who were off because they still had to bring their kids to daycare. These were the parents that were OFF. They couldn't understand that the didn't have to and that everyone was off. Didn't matter. They were being inconvenienced by having to drive 30-45 min to bring their kids somewhere they didn't have to. So I guess to punish us, kids were being dropped off 2-3 hours later than normal after just waking up. You can guess what nap was like. No good deed goes unpunished.
Mike 03:47 PM 10-07-2016
Wow, I guess parents think that since they pay, they have to use the services, but if it were closed, they wouldn't have to.
e.j. 03:55 PM 10-07-2016
So they thought they had to bring their kids to day care simply because you were open? Seriously? Maybe a memo needs to go out to all parents that nicely points out that attendance is at the parents' discretion - especially during major weather events. Sometimes you have to spell out even the most obvious of things.
Bookworm 04:19 PM 10-07-2016
Originally Posted by e.j.:
So they thought they had to bring their kids to day care simply because you were open? Seriously? Maybe a memo needs to go out to all parents that nicely points out that attendance is at the parents' discretion - especially during major weather events. Sometimes you have to spell out even the most obvious of things.
Oh, those parents knew it was optional. But for some reason they had to make up excuses for dropping them off. They needed justification for the long commute and not wanting to deal with their kids. Even though the older siblings were home. These are the same people who would complain if we were closed.
Nurse Jackie 04:42 PM 10-07-2016
Who brings their kids to daycare during a hurricane
Mike 04:58 PM 10-07-2016
Originally Posted by Nurse Jackie:
Who brings their kids to daycare during a hurricane
You'd be surprised.
racemom 06:35 PM 10-07-2016
I am not surprised they would bring their kids to daycare. When we have blizzard conditions, parents still want to bring their kids. We have had parents who live in the country, drive into town, drop their kids off and go back home because their office is closed. We had one mom say, I didn't know if I was going to make it because I slid in the ditch getting on to the highway, hope I make it home ok! It was still snowing and they were warning people to stay home. That is when my boss decided if there is a blizzard, she is closed!
Nurse Jackie 06:57 PM 10-07-2016
Why have kids if ur willing to drive in a blizzard to get rid of them? I don't get it.
lovemykidstoo 07:22 PM 10-07-2016
That's terrible, but that's what parents do.

A few years ago, we got like 16 inches of snow. I had one family that owned a motorcycle shop literally across the street from where they live. They drove across town in the 16 inches of snow to bring their kids to me. They got stuck down our road. i walked down the street to get the kids and carry them to my house while they figured out how to get their truck out of the snow. Did I mention they OWN a motorcycle shop? How busy could they have been there during a blizzard? ugh
racemom 08:17 PM 10-07-2016
Originally Posted by Nurse Jackie:
Why have kids if ur willing to drive in a blizzard to get rid of them? I don't get it.
You would be surprised. Had a school teacher last year call and say they were going to believe late because they were snowed in. Our director told her she was closed because everyone else called off, dcm then said what am I suppose to do with dcb today. Director said the school is closed, so you don't have to go to work today. She said oh, I know it's just he gets bored at home. Uh, ok?
LysesKids 08:49 PM 10-07-2016
I have it in my policies that I close for State of Emergency weather issues and there is no credit until it's day 3 of me being closed; if the county can't get a rescue squad here in a reasonable time or I lose power, what makes you think its safe to drop your child in hazardous conditions? I won't be put in that situation again ( I did it 2 years ago during an ice storm)
Josiegirl 03:22 AM 10-08-2016
Originally Posted by racemom:
You would be surprised. Had a school teacher last year call and say they were going to believe late because they were snowed in. Our director told her she was closed because everyone else called off, dcm then said what am I suppose to do with dcb today. Director said the school is closed, so you don't have to go to work today. She said oh, I know it's just he gets bored at home. Uh, ok?
I guess the easy part is creating kids, but after that....???
Why do people continue to have kids if they don't know how or don't want to be a parent???
Ariana 07:19 AM 10-08-2016
Nothing surprises me about parents anymore! Absolutely nothing.
Ariana 07:21 AM 10-08-2016
Originally Posted by racemom:
Oh my word. A kid, bored? The madness
lovemydaycare0912 07:27 AM 10-08-2016
This is why I am changing my snow policy come Monday. I use to stay open regardless. Last year some parents really did have to still work but I had a mom who lived 30 mins south of me and worked 45 mins north of me. She still dropped off dcb, and on her way to work got into an accident. I then lost power and had to close. Guess who took a while to get here because her boss wouldn't let her leave and dad didn't have a car seat. I'm thinking of closing when my town schools close now.
Ariana 07:52 AM 10-08-2016
Originally Posted by lovemydaycare0912:
This is why I am changing my snow policy come Monday. I use to stay open regardless. Last year some parents really did have to still work but I had a mom who lived 30 mins south of me and worked 45 mins north of me. She still dropped off dcb, and on her way to work got into an accident. I then lost power and had to close. Guess who took a while to get here because her boss wouldn't let her leave and dad didn't have a car seat. I'm thinking of closing when my town schools close now.
I have been thinking about this too! Maybe a policy that if schools are closed I am closed for safety reasons.

Last year we had a 3 day crazy heavy snowfall and people still came to care. People who were not working. One mom parked a few blocks away as my street hadn't been cleared just to bring her kid to daycare. She was home that day...no reason not to keep him home. Fortunately she kept him home the next day as I think she felt like a damn fool when she showed up head to toe covered in snow with baby and toddler in tow. When I asked her what happened and she explained she had to walk through several snowbanks to get him here I was shocked.
Fiddlesticks 08:08 AM 10-08-2016
My policy is that if our school district closes due to weather, so do I. One, I don't feel like juggling who can come when, and who cannot, as in the past I had children arrive after the school children left for school, I couldn't have them all here all day... But also, it is because I am worried about the parents getting BACK to pick up their children. We have recently had "cold" days, school was closed because the air temp was -30 degrees. I was closed, but one of the moms went to work and was stuck there because her car wouldn't start at the end of the day. Glad the children were not here at that time.
daycare 08:18 AM 10-08-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Oh my word. A kid, bored? The madness
lol right! I remember one time I told my mother, I am bored....she handed me a bucket and scrubber, pointed to the kitchen floor and said not any more.... I never said it again..lol

I don't understand why people feel children need to be entertained at all times. I am not their circus monkey.
daycare 08:25 AM 10-08-2016
dont most schools have in their polices that if they have to close due to weather that they will have so many paid closed days per year?

I am in CA, we don't have weather issues, we have fires and earthquakes. I have never had to close for either, but I do have it in my polices that if I am forced to close due to natural disaster or weather up to 3 days per calendar year will be paid closed days. So my parents would not be able to bring their kids and would still have to pay for up to 3 days.
Ariana 09:32 AM 10-08-2016
Here the buses get cancelled before schools get cancelled. Do you close when buses are cancelled or just when school itself is cancelled? I figure busses are cancelled for safety reasons.

When buses are cancelled there are hardly any kids at school and I keep my own child home.
Bookworm 08:49 PM 10-11-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Nothing surprises me about parents anymore! Absolutely nothing.
The same for me, but this is something I've never seen in my entire career.
Mom2Two 11:05 AM 10-12-2016
Originally Posted by daycare:
lol right! I remember one time I told my mother, I am bored....she handed me a bucket and scrubber, pointed to the kitchen floor and said not any more.... I never said it again..lol

I don't understand why people feel children need to be entertained at all times. I am not their circus monkey.
Yep, a favorite response. "Oh, you're bored? Well wouldn't it be fun to dust the leaves of my silk plants? Wait...where are you going?" lol
Tags:closed from bad weather, hurricane
Reply Up