Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Caring For More Than 1 Baby?
trix23 09:30 PM 02-24-2017
I'm a fairly new provider. 2 kids of my own, 3y and 5m. Currently have a 4y and a 1y enrolled Abe a prospective 8wk baby. Most of my inquiries have been for under 1. I want another client but don't know if I can handle another baby. Input??
debbiedoeszip 07:24 AM 02-25-2017
The rules are likely different, but where I live (Ontario, Canada) you are only allowed to have 2 children under the age of two in your care (your own included). That's the rule for both licensed and legally unlicensed.

I think that it's a good rule. Babies can be demanding, especially if you also have older kids needing attention/supervision. YMMV though.
finsup 08:06 AM 02-25-2017
I almost always have two babies here. Although right now those "babies" are 16 and 17 months (ones my own, but I've had the other for a while. Before that it was a dcb that was a month apart from my middle kiddo, started at about 4m or so). The way I see it as people with twins do it all the time and they make it work. There's no reason I can't either. And for me honestly babies are easy. I'd take two newborns over two 3 year olds easily lol. But that's just my preference. Now I'm so used to it, it's strange when I only have one baby. I like them to grow up here, with my expectations etc from day one. And in this area it's rare for me to get calls for older kiddos. However...For infants, I don't accept part timers. They must be 4+ days a week just because I find it's easier for adjustment etc. But then again, it's all personal preference. Give it a shot if you think you could handle it! Remember your not locked in to anything and can let someone go if it turns out it isn't for you
Leigh 08:50 AM 02-25-2017
I prefer 2 babies at a time, and usually have 2 around the same age. I find that it has reduced the boredom crying-around 5 or 6 months, I can put them down together and they will interact with one another while I make lunch and it makes my life easier. I have a set of twins who are 1.5, but developmentally around 10 months, and a 3 month old who will soon be joined by another born the same week.
Pestle 09:02 AM 02-25-2017
Oh, I see FL requires all providers to be registered and they can go with up to 4 infants (under 12 mos) including their own.

I watch 2 infants at a time and wouldn't be comfortable watching more than that. Once I'm licensed, the state of TN will permit me to go up to 4 infants (under 24 months here), but I don't want more than two under, say, 15 months-- the ability to walk and respond to simple verbal direction makes caring for them much easier.
LysesKids 10:12 AM 02-25-2017
Originally Posted by Pestle:
Oh, I see FL requires all providers to be registered and they can go with up to 4 infants (under 12 mos) including their own.

I watch 2 infants at a time and wouldn't be comfortable watching more than that. Once I'm licensed, the state of TN will permit me to go up to 4 infants (under 24 months here), but I don't want more than two under, say, 15 months-- the ability to walk and respond to simple verbal direction makes caring for them much easier.
See I am an infants only home in TN. I love having all 4 under 24 months. I've been doing it awhile though too... like the last 7 years has been 1-18 months and the 5 years prior it was still all kids under 30 months - I started with 6 kids in WV up to Kindy age originally but that was in 2000. Now that I'm getting older, i don't want to have to chase "runners" if you get my drift ( My own kids are adults now)
Jupadia 10:28 AM 02-25-2017
I used to at diffrent points have e under 2 years and 2 or 3 over 2 years. So 6 kids total. I was able to handle it but took kids on one at a time and knew what my experience and the current kids personalitys would handle a new kid either older or younger.

But ratios changed just over a year ago so now as a pp said for Ontario Canada we can only have 2 under 2 with 5 kids total so now that's all I have.

It realy depends on what you think you as a provider can handle and what the laws for your area are.
Unregistered 01:48 AM 02-28-2017
For ten yrs I only took one child under 12 mo. and one 1 yr to 2 yrs. the rest are two and up. I know my limits! Some people are total baby people and they can handle more infants! I no longer take kids under 1 yr.
Play Care 03:04 AM 02-28-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
For ten yrs I only took one child under 12 mo. and one 1 yr to 2 yrs. the rest are two and up. I know my limits! Some people are total baby people and they can handle more infants! I no longer take kids under 1 yr.
This is me. This year, due to a slow enrollment, I had two infants and it's been tough. I prefer toddler/preschoolers.
That said, I'm glad I didn't do it when my own kids were in the day care. It worked because I was able to do the work (sleep training, delayed feeding, etc.) without feeling guilty.
Blackcat31 05:32 AM 02-28-2017
In my state with one adult you are allowed up to two infants (under age 1) and one toddler (1yr - 2 yr) and up to 3 babies and 1 toddler when two adults are present but babies are hard so I try not to have more than one in each age category.

Since I only take infants from currently enrolled families it usually is that way but this last year there must have been a baby craze going on because I currently have 2 infants (age 7 months and 10 months) and one waiting....they will start care when the 10 month old turns 1 yr so it's just one baby after another.... lol!

They are hard for sure so my only advice is routine routine routine....and it helps alot if you have daycare parents that truly make an effort to work with you in those routines.
Tags:infants, one year old
Reply Up