Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Question About My Son
Worried mom 10:01 AM 03-15-2010
This is not a daycare question but I figure since you all have kids of your own, or daycare kids I might get some answers here.

My son likes to run around with just his underwear on, which I'm fine with...better then changing like 5 times in a day. He's under preschool age.

He's got this habit of picking and messing with his anus. A lot of times it's when he's having a problem pooping. He'll pick at it and then have poopy fingers. Which if I don't get him in time, it might be rubbed on something.

So I did some looking online last night and didn't come up with much other then it might be pinworms. Anyone here know anything about it?

I don't know if I need to call the doctor about pinworms, or just work on breaking this bad habit. I'm not one to follow my son all day long, he plays in his own room or while I'm cooking or cleaning.

Please help if you can.
Carole's Daycare 01:26 PM 03-15-2010
If he's picking, he's probably uncomfortable. Whether its pinworms or some other problem, like constipation etc, I would certainly inquire of your family physician. There are some children who have a behavioral issue involving playing with their anus/feces. If the doctor finds no physiological reason for the activity, he may have recommendations regarding the behavior as well. As a daycare provider, we are very reluctant due to sanitation reasons to accept kids in care (as are preschools) with this type of behavior. Good luck- hopefully its just a mild case of anal itching due to irritation or an easily remedied problem. Good Luck
Pammie 05:31 PM 03-15-2010
I would definitely make an appt to talk with your pediatrician. If it is pinworms, then it's very easily treatable. I've had several little boys that do "pick" when they are quite constipated too. Regardless, I always err on ruling out a physical reason before trying to modify behavior.
Good luck to you and your son!
jen 07:30 PM 03-15-2010
I would go with the pedi as well...also, I would probably put him in pants until you get the situation resolved.
mac60 03:01 AM 03-16-2010
I would go to the doctor as well. I would also keep him in clothing where he could not touch himself there. That is really quite disgusting, unsanitary, and could easily spread whatever may be the problem.
Crystal 07:04 AM 03-16-2010
You can check his poop for pinworms. If he has them, you will most likely see them. You can also check at night, as they tend to come out when the child is sleeping. Use a flashlight in the dark and just take a quick look. If there are any pinworms, they will try to "escape" eeeewwwww, I know, but I'm for real.

As mac60 says, put clothes on him so that he doesn't have easy access. Pinworms are HIGHLY contagious.
Tags:pinworms, poop
Reply Up