Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Michigan - Inspection
Unregistered 10:09 AM 02-26-2016
In Michigan, they randomly inspect 10% of providers every year. How do you know if you're one of those 10%?
Do they send a letter so you can prepare? Or do they just show up and barge into your house? I'm scared LOL
sharlan 11:13 AM 02-26-2016
I can't speak for Michigan, but in CA, it us unannounced. Yes, they just show up.

If you're doing things right you have nothing to fear.
Cat Herder 11:22 AM 02-26-2016
I am shocked at how inefficient Michigan is.

We are inspected 3 times a year, minimum, each... Unannounced/Random.

It isn't that scary. Annoying? Yes!

Make sure your paperwork is always up to date (shot records, enrollment forms, etc) and be sure to always stay in ratio.

They are not looking for a few dishes in the sink, they are looking for health and safety issues.
Thriftylady 12:26 PM 02-26-2016
I agree, just keep everything on the up and up. They did all of us once a year in Kansas. It wasn't a big deal. If they write you up for anything, ask them to show you the reg.
morgan24 04:01 PM 02-26-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
In Michigan, they randomly inspect 10% of providers every year. How do you know if you're one of those 10%?
Do they send a letter so you can prepare? Or do they just show up and barge into your house? I'm scared LOL
It use to be a random draw of all the providers in your county. I've been picked twice. They send you a letter letting you know that you were drawn and which half of the year it will be.
Indoorvoice 04:10 PM 02-26-2016
Originally Posted by morgan24:
It use to be a random draw of all the providers in your county. I've been picked twice. They send you a letter letting you know that you were drawn and which half of the year it will be.
I was going to say that I'm not 100% sure, but I've only heard of random visits if a violation was reported by a parent or something. Everyone I know has gotten a letter if they get picked.
Unregistered 06:58 PM 02-26-2016
OP HERE

I have really bad anxiety surrounding an unknown person knocking on my door. I'm not concerned about someone coming in, my house is up to code. But the thought of being in the middle of something and having my doorbell ring makes me sick to my stomach. I don't know who it is or what they want. What if it's a bad person? I just can't.
All my daycare parents let me know what time they're coming because I just cannot deal with unnanounced people coming to my house.

Soooo that's why I wanted to know about the 10%. I feel confident that nobody will ever report me for something. But I always get worked up when I think about being inspected as part of the random group.

When do they send letters? Would I have gotten one already if I was going to be inspected this year?
Thriftylady 07:26 PM 02-26-2016
OP HERE

I have really bad anxiety surrounding an unknown person knocking on my door. I'm not concerned about someone coming in, my house is up to code. But the thought of being in the middle of something and having my doorbell ring makes me sick to my stomach. I don't know who it is or what they want. What if it's a bad person? I just can't.
All my daycare parents let me know what time they're coming because I just cannot deal with unnanounced people coming to my house.

Soooo that's why I wanted to know about the 10%. I feel confident that nobody will ever report me for something. But I always get worked up when I think about being inspected as part of the random group.

When do they send letters? Would I have gotten one already if I was going to be inspected this year?
Is the anxiety a thing that happens often? I was suffering depression and anxiety and didn't realize it. I sought treatment when I recognized my depression for what it is, that was when I found out what my anxiety was. Turns out my depression and anxiety go hand in hand so treatment for depression helped my anxiety a lot. But if it is often bad, I strongly advise you talk to your doctor. I could kick myself for living that way as long as I did. I wouldn't ever want to go back!

Above and beyond that there are things you can do. You can ask to see ID before you open the door. If still in question, you can call the office and ask. Grab your phone, while standing at the door tell the person outside you are calling to verify. Look up the number on your phone (or program it in now if you would like), and call and ask before you open the door.

As far as being in the middle of something, you are a childcare provider. They would probably question what you were doing with the kiddos if you weren't in the middle of something!
Unregistered 08:25 PM 02-26-2016
Thank you for the response, thrifty.
I have always had a lingering anxiety issue, but it's been amplified since beginning childcare.

I feel really momma-bear over my daycare kids! With all the school shootings and the stories about estranged dads shooting up daycares, I feel really protective over these kids. I don't have any of my own kids so I'm not used to feeling so incredibly responsible for other humans.

I have a doctors appointment coming up in March. I've been afraid to bring up the anxiety in years past but I think I'll finally address it. You're right, I don't want to live like this anymore!

I like the ID idea. What if I made a sign that said something about having their ID in hand when knocking? I would feel so much safer if I saw an id badge before opening the door!
Thriftylady 05:37 AM 02-27-2016
I have always had a lingering anxiety issue, but it's been amplified since beginning childcare.

I feel really momma-bear over my daycare kids! With all the school shootings and the stories about estranged dads shooting up daycares, I feel really protective over these kids. I don't have any of my own kids so I'm not used to feeling so incredibly responsible for other humans.

I have a doctors appointment coming up in March. I've been afraid to bring up the anxiety in years past but I think I'll finally address it. You're right, I don't want to live like this anymore!

I like the ID idea. What if I made a sign that said something about having their ID in hand when knocking? I would feel so much safer if I saw an id badge before opening the door!
I would so bring it up with your doctor. It is so easy now just to take my meds and feel "normal". I am not going to say I never feel depressed or anxious, but it is not nearly as often or as deep. As far as the other. Have you considered putting in one of those speaker things so you can speak to the person on the other side of the door? You could call licensing and ask what kind of ID they carry. Do they wear it all the time? Do they only show it when asked? That way you know what to expect if they ever do come.
kate 04:23 PM 02-27-2016
OP, I have the same issue with anxiety about strangers at my door. I bought a video doorbell that connects to my phone when someone rings the doorbell or comes close enough to active the motion sensor.. It also allows me to turn off the doorbell sound in the house so it only goes to my phone. This way, I can see and speak to whomever is at the door. They can't see me, it's one way video. It's also useful because anyone ringing the doorbell at nap time won't wake any sleeping kiddos, it just buzzes my phone.
morgan24 08:16 AM 02-28-2016

The state licensing consultant will have an ID to show you. When I had the 10% draw visits it was my consultant that does my regular inspections. I have a screen door that's locked and I talk to anyone through that first. I also have a window in my living room that I open and if I don't know who it is, I ask them what they need.

Did you get a letter. It's usually done the first 1/2 of the year or the 2nd half. A letter for the 2nd half comes in May or June and your visit will be unannounced And they have from July to December to complete it. I don't know if they are even doing them right now. They just changed the areas for the consultants and I don't know how they would have time.
Tags:inspection - random, inspection - unannounced
Reply Up