Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Can Anyone Help Me?
Thriftylady 03:54 PM 07-15-2016
I need to find the name and address of the owner of the property next to me. The renters have a rottie who they let out in the yard off leash. If it sees any other animal on leash or off cats, dogs etc will will attack them. It has come in my yard three times and attacked my dog. Today I watched as it attacked another neighbors dog who was outside with owner on leash. The owners used to live on this property but moved and it is now a rental. They own 7 or so homes on the block. I know where they moved sort of, not exact address and am not sure if they are still there. The neighbors in question have been in the rental maybe a year. Does anyone know if I can find the contact for the property owner online?
Second Home 04:05 PM 07-15-2016
Check the tax records for the property .many places have them online .
spedmommy4 04:15 PM 07-15-2016
Given the number of aggressive incidents at this point, it seems like this might also be a matter for animal control and/or the police. It sounds like the animal has become a safety risk for the neighborhood.
Mike 04:35 PM 07-15-2016
Rottie off leash, unfenced yard, = police or animal control
very dangerous
Thriftylady 04:45 PM 07-15-2016
Originally Posted by Mike:
very dangerous
I called animal control today they told me they can't do anything unless they catch it loose or we get pictures and can prove it is the same dog. They are supposed to go over tomorrow and talk to the family.

The police say next time it attacks another animal if it causes injury they will come out.

The dog is fine with people, but not with other animals, it is downright violent with them. I am scared that I (or someone else) will get hurt trying to save our pets who are contained in our yards on leashes. I mean we could keep our animals always in, but that isn't really fair.
Mike 04:57 PM 07-15-2016
Can be very dangerous if it attacks another persons pet and they try to stop it. A friend of mine was taking her dog for a walk a few years ago when another dog came running and attacked her dog. Her dog was quite old and not in shape to fight, so she had to try to stop it. She ended up getting 12 stitches in her leg and her dog had to go to the vet to be treated.

Several years ago I used to ride my bike to a friends place. One day on my way home, a dog came running after me and didn't sound friendly. I peddled faster than I ever thought possible, almost got nipped, but eventually the dog quit and went back home. The next day I brought my bb pistol with me. Dog started running, I stopped and took a shot, and next time I saw the dog, it was tied up. Guess the owners got my message.
Michael 05:51 PM 07-15-2016
Originally Posted by Mike:
very dangerous
Agree. Rottweilers are one of the top killers of "people" much less animals. http://www.streetdirectory.com/trave...ll_people.html
Thriftylady 06:00 PM 07-15-2016
Originally Posted by Michael:
Agree. Rottweilers are one of the top killers of "people" much less animals. http://www.streetdirectory.com/trave...ll_people.html
I am not much of a "breed blamer". I am more of a "bad dog owner blamer". In this case especially, because they take the dog out in the front yard unrestrained, knowing it will take off after other animals. That is really the fault of the human, not the dog.
Josiegirl 03:39 AM 07-16-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I am not much of a "breed blamer". I am more of a "bad dog owner blamer". In this case especially, because they take the dog out in the front yard unrestrained, knowing it will take off after other animals. That is really the fault of the human, not the dog.
I agree completely. Have you tried talking with the owner?
It's too bad everybody has to wait until the dog actually causes harm. I wouldn't want my dog to be the victim.

I'm embarrassed to say that I have 2 dogs and mine were the ones attacking(protecting 'their' property and people but still.... ) or trying to attack neighbors' dogs, cats, cows, pigs, squirrels, birds, etc. I finally spent some money for a dog trainer and the best thing was to get 2 leashes for them, kind of like a Gentle Leader but better. Now I can bring them outside without them pulling me around the whole neighborhood or worse, getting out of my grip entirely. They can run in my fenced-in yard.

Good luck!! Until something happens to change this danger, guard your own animals!
Leigh 08:48 AM 07-16-2016
I agree with you, Thrifty, to a point. Temperament is BOTH environmental and genetic. Lots of Rott owners make the mistake of searching for a dog from "working" lines, thinking they're getting a better dog. What they get is a dog BRED to react to stimuli. I've met a LOT of Rotts who are gentle giants, but SOME are not bred to be pets. It's all in the breeding. Same with Pits. If you're getting a pit bull type dog, you NEED to find a reputable, responsible breeder to ensure that the dogs are bred for health and temperament, and never buy from a backyard breeder.
Thriftylady 09:15 AM 07-16-2016
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I agree with you, Thrifty, to a point. Temperament is BOTH environmental and genetic. Lots of Rott owners make the mistake of searching for a dog from "working" lines, thinking they're getting a better dog. What they get is a dog BRED to react to stimuli. I've met a LOT of Rotts who are gentle giants, but SOME are not bred to be pets. It's all in the breeding. Same with Pits. If you're getting a pit bull type dog, you NEED to find a reputable, responsible breeder to ensure that the dogs are bred for health and temperament, and never buy from a backyard breeder.
Well my dog is a beagle pitt mix. We call him a beagle on steroids. I talked to my vet though because any time another dog barks or growls at him, he will cower down and pee all over himself. He loves to play with other dogs, but not if they seem like a threat to him. My vet explained it has to do with the whole dominant, and non-dominant and that even though my dog has some pitt in him, he is very non-dominant. In fact, he is an all out wuss lol. So when this other dog comes in my yard and goes after him when he is on his lead, my dog just sits there and takes it.
284878 12:44 PM 07-16-2016
Originally Posted by Michael:
I am not a Breed blamer either. My brother got a rot as a pup and he was the most gentle dog around. He decided to breed the dog and got an adult rot to breed with. That dog was not so friendly and snipped at many people. So was it the breed or the trainer (or the fact the pup did not get his tail snip off.)

My nephew went to the county pound a got a pit pup, he raised that pup and he was better behaved than most dogs in general. But when my nephew moved to another county (adjacent county, not that far from where he had previously lived), his new neighbor found out he had a pit, reported him and he was forced to put him down or be fined. A good dog died because of breed blamers.
Thriftylady 05:51 PM 07-16-2016
So I ended up calling animal control again this afternoon after we got pictures of the dog on a neighbors property and then video of him with us on our back patio.

I talked to the head animal control officer today after leaving a message he called me back. He told me he was going to call the deputy I talked to yesterday and see if he went and talked to them this morning like he told me he would. I am thinking he did, because when they realized the dog was wondering he went calling it in a whisper. We could see this from our patio and it was after we had pics and video.

The guy today told me that with the pictures and video, it sounds like they need to come issue a citation for dog on the loose. I told him I don't care what they do, if they keep everyone safe. I also told him it isn't about the breed, and that the dog seems fine around people, because I have walked him home before (before we started having issues with him going after other animals). I have actually taken the dog home several times.

I still want to find out the info for the property owner and send a letter, but am wondering if I can bring it up if they come see my pictures and maybe animal control will do that? I dunno but something needs to happen.
Thriftylady 12:29 PM 07-19-2016
So animal control called me back today and had me email pictures of the dog on my back patio and in the other neighbors yard. He is going over to write the citation and wanted to know if I would go to court if they fought it. I don't really want to, because I don't want them to know I was the one calling and causing issues for my daycare. Because we all know how false complaints are. But at the same time, I couldn't deal with it if someone got hurt because I said no. So I am praying that they will just pay the fine and be done with it. That would mean admitting their dog was out potentially causing issues, and the fine would increase each time. I guess I don't care about the fine, other than when you hit people in the pocket book it usually makes a difference.
Mom2Two 01:32 PM 07-19-2016
So hard. Having problems with neighbors is almost like having problems with family--you can't ever really get away from them.

Is your backyard super protected now so the dog can't get in? You'd have liability problems if it's not.

I would be careful about trying to be too sympathetic and "not blame the breed." If it attacks other animals, isn't it reasonable to think it might attack a child? Would a normal person be concerned about that? I would say that, yes, a normal person would be concerned about that, which also makes you liable if you don't take strong enough action.
Thriftylady 01:41 PM 07-19-2016
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:
So hard. Having problems with neighbors is almost like having problems with family--you can't ever really get away from them.

Is your backyard super protected now so the dog can't get in? You'd have liability problems if it's not.

I would be careful about trying to be too sympathetic and "not blame the breed." If it attacks other animals, isn't it reasonable to think it might attack a child? Would a normal person be concerned about that? I would say that, yes, a normal person would be concerned about that, which also makes you liable if you don't take strong enough action.
The landlord will not allow me to fence it. But I am not really worried about that. He has never bothered people, in fact he has been nothing but sweet the times I took him home. And there are dogs at the park all the time, you can't be overprotective of everything. I am much more worried about someone trying to save their pet and getting hurt. He is down right mean to other animals. Had the neighbors little dog in his mouth last week. I think I have done all I can really reasonably do.

ETA: THEY have a fully fenced back yard, but they don't put the dog there much he stays in when they do. But they take him outside off leash, and let the kids (one being about 3) take him out there alone. They don't watch him and he wanders off. It's all good, until he runs into another animal.
grandmom 03:26 PM 07-19-2016
If he allows you to take him home, then put him in the car and take him out of state. Done. Or get a gun.
Mike 03:32 PM 07-19-2016
Hopefully the citation will get them to use their fenced back yard.
Thriftylady 03:37 PM 07-19-2016
Originally Posted by grandmom:
If he allows you to take him home, then put him in the car and take him out of state. Done. Or get a gun.
Yeah but I won't approach two dogs fighting. He has caused my dog injury and a vet bill once, and fought with him three times. That is the issue, if he wasn't attacking other animals, I may not care so much.
Tags:animal control, dogs, dogs - rottweiler
Reply Up