Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Doing Childcare in Second Home
Country Kids 09:48 AM 07-20-2016
HI Ladies!

Something has come up that I never thought I would really consider-doing childcare in another house. A darling house came up for sale three houses down from mine. We knew the owners and how it was taken care of, improvements, etc. We did a walk through last night and I love it.

It is a four bedroom, one bath, kitchen (with laundry right there), small dining area, living room. It is dated but nothing crucial. Nice front yard, would need to work on back yard, tool shed that would be cute to be fixed up as a play house or outdoor classroom.

Now my question-for those that have a second home what are the cons of not doing it in home, also the pros. Do you keep all the children in one room at a time or can they go into individual bedrooms? How do you stay with all the kiddo's are do you just supervise room to room?

Thank you for any help!
thrivingchildcarecom 09:59 AM 07-20-2016
I am so jealous! In CA they don't let us do the childcare in a second home. Regs say we must reside in the home. I wish I could do it in another space and get my house back.
Country Kids 10:03 AM 07-20-2016
I've been doing it 19 years in home. I will actually have to go up in my licensing to do this. I can have more children but do to zoning no employees. So going to have to have a strict game plan for numbers that still will give me an income and stay within ratio.
DaveA 10:23 AM 07-20-2016
I wanted to do it but was told no way it was legal except for a center license in IL. I suppose you could chance it and list the center house as your legal address, but I don't know if they would take that.
Country Kids 11:07 AM 07-20-2016
Black Cat do you have any advice/answers?
jenboo 11:16 AM 07-20-2016
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
HI Ladies!

Something has come up that I never thought I would really consider-doing childcare in another house. A darling house came up for sale three houses down from mine. We knew the owners and how it was taken care of, improvements, etc. We did a walk through last night and I love it.

It is a four bedroom, one bath, kitchen (with laundry right there), small dining area, living room. It is dated but nothing crucial. Nice front yard, would need to work on back yard, tool shed that would be cute to be fixed up as a play house or outdoor classroom.

Now my question-for those that have a second home what are the cons of not doing it in home, also the pros. Do you keep all the children in one room at a time or can they go into individual bedrooms? How do you stay with all the kiddo's are do you just supervise room to room?

Thank you for any help!
I think the biggest thing is less tax write-offs since you don't live in the home. But if you are able to add enough kids so that it gives you a big enough income, i would do it.
I would love to have more space. I might do it down the road.
Country Kids 11:37 AM 07-20-2016
From what I can tell though from talking to my tax lady, everything is 100% write off except the house payment. Its all for business use, so I wouldn't have to do any time/space percentage.

So it sounds as if it would be a better deal.
Blackcat31 11:47 AM 07-20-2016
Black Cat do you have any advice/answers?
Sure! Anything in particular you want/need to know?

Originally Posted by jenboo:
I think the biggest thing is less tax write-offs since you don't live in the home. But if you are able to add enough kids so that it gives you a big enough income, i would do it.
Actually, it's the opposite. I don't live in the home so I don't have to figure T/S %. EVERYTHING is 100% write off.
Blackcat31 11:48 AM 07-20-2016
You are welcome to PM me or e-mail (blackcat@daycare.com) if you have questions you don't want to ask openly.
AmyKidsCo 11:50 AM 07-20-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Not that this is an option for me, but I'm always curious about everything...

You can't write off anything in your own home, can you? For instance, time/space if you're doing paperwork at home?

Were you always in a separate space or can you compare the finances of being in your own home vs a separate place? Every time I think about getting out of FCC I think about how much we're saving with the T/S deduction and realize it's not worth it.
Blackcat31 11:55 AM 07-20-2016
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Not that this is an option for me, but I'm always curious about everything...
Hey, no worries...I'm a "why, how" person too!

You can't write off anything in your own home, can you? For instance, time/space if you're doing paperwork at home?
Nope. I make a point of not doing ANYTHING work related anywhere but work.

Were you always in a separate space or can you compare the finances of being in your own home vs a separate place? Every time I think about getting out of FCC I think about how much we're saving with the T/S deduction and realize it's not worth it.
I've always had a separate home. You ladies and gents that do this in your own homes are a little cra-aazy.
I was a Head Start employee before I opened my own FCC.
I make the job change because I had that child we all vent about.

My expenses (in my own home) are very minimal.
My DH and I do nothing on credit, only buy things when we can pay cash for them and spent the first decade of our married lives paying double payments on our home so that we wouldn't have payments later.
Rockgirl 11:56 AM 07-20-2016
I wish we could do this in Tx! My neighbor's house is for sale, and it would be perfect.
Country Kids 02:41 PM 07-20-2016
I'll email you later tonight or this week if I get a chance! Thank you so much
jenboo 02:49 PM 07-20-2016
From what I can tell though from talking to my tax lady, everything is 100% write off except the house payment. Its all for business use, so I wouldn't have to do any time/space percentage.

So it sounds as if it would be a better deal.
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Actually, it's the opposite. I don't live in the home so I don't have to figure T/S %. EVERYTHING is 100% write off.
Originally Posted by jenboo:
Ooo well that's cool!! Glad I was wrong!!
Meeko 06:19 PM 07-20-2016
Depends on whether it is legal to do so in your state. In Utah, you must reside in the home you do daycare in.

We owned two homes and so we let our son live in one and we also did daycare there. He was the licensee.

I lived in another home.

We finally re-modeled our current home's basement and our daycare is self-contained down there with a separate entrance etc. We then sold the other home and our son moved back in with us.
Country Kids 08:51 AM 07-21-2016
Originally Posted by Meeko:
Depends on whether it is legal to do so in your state. In Utah, you must reside in the home you do daycare in.

We owned two homes and so we let our son live in one and we also did daycare there. He was the licensee.

I lived in another home.

We finally re-modeled our current home's basement and our daycare is self-contained down there with a separate entrance etc. We then sold the other home and our son moved back in with us.
For the license I would be obtaining I don't have to live in the home.

If I was a registered provider you have to live in the home.
daycarediva 09:42 AM 07-21-2016
I would do this and would snag the house up the street in a heartbeat for it but you have to live in your home unless you're a center in my state (which would have to be small, maybe 3 'classrooms' since it's a 3b 1b ranch). I crunched the numbers once, the house is a foreclosure and needs some interior work, but dh could gut it and put in new floors in a few weeks. Between the issue of employees, the additional children/tours, the additional mortgage payment.... yuck.

Now I just want out of daycare all together.
Country Kids 10:04 AM 07-21-2016
I just found out it only has one heat source which is only in the living room-a gas fireplace There is no heat to any part of the house! Our realtor said it will be hard to finance.

The owners must have known as they want cash only so they must know it will be hard to sell.
daycarediva 10:07 AM 07-21-2016
Does it have a basement? What's the square footage? Gas/electric ran to the property?

It wouldn't be hard (or even that expensive) to have a furnace, duct work and vents installed.
Country Kids 10:20 AM 07-21-2016
No basement-small crawlspace.

Square Footage is 1100

Heat is gas, stove is gas but washer dryer is electric I believe.
KSDC 11:22 AM 07-21-2016
I know someone who used to do daycare in a separate home. She loved it. I remember her specifically commenting on the fact that during inspections she didn't have to have someone going through the private areas of her home.
ColorfulSunburst 08:12 PM 07-21-2016
Originally Posted by thrivingchildcarecom:
In CA they don't let us do the childcare in a second home. Regs say we must reside in the home.
the same rule is in NY.
Country Kids 08:45 AM 08-19-2016
Well having it in a second home isn't going to happen

I just can't manage to come up with the down payment for the house. It was a great thought, dream but time to move on. It's just hard because it is three houses from me so I always have to drive by it and I can see the backyard from mine and keep picturing all my stuff there.

Everyone have a great day!!!
Tags:second home
Reply Up