Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ideas on a couple of issues I'm having
daycarediva 10:57 AM 12-17-2014
1. dcg/3 says "Me too?" after everything I say to ANYONE. If I say another child's name "Joe, can you please put your shoes away." "ME TOO?" "Everyone, it's clean up time. We are eating lunch in a few minutes." "ME TOO?" "I like how you shared your blocks Susie." "ME TOO?" (even though she is in the kitchen area). As you can imagine, this is happening HUNDREDS of times per day.

At first I said "no dcg, just X" or "yes dcg, everyone." but she kept it up. For the last month, I have completely ignored it. NOW she is repeating it OVER AND OVER until someone answers her. Today my 4yo dcb got in her face and said "IS YOUR NAME SUSIE!?" dcg said "No." and then "ME TOO?" AHHHHHHHHHH!

2. Dcb 4, he and other dcb do.not.get.along. they are oil and water and that's that. I never pair them together, but lately dcb has been going out of his way to tick off other dcb. Everytime dcb talks, dcb starts singing LOUDLY. Dcb asks him to stop, he gets LOUDER. If dcb says he likes something, other dcb says he doesn't. The kids are all taught here that they can set limits on another child's behavior. The other kids have NO PROBLEM walking up to someone, asking them to stop whatever is bothering them, and the other child listening. This kid is INSISTENT he doesn't have to listen to any kid. I have spoken to him, his parents, and have started putting him in TO for it (which even I think is extreme but it doesn't work anyway!) It's making other dcb's days miserable. Both are FT.

I'm open to any and all suggestions, as these two things alone are happening so frequently I feel like all I do is stop dcb from instigating and ignore dcg's incessant ME TOO's.
Blackcat31 11:59 AM 12-17-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
1. dcg/3 says "Me too?" after everything I say to ANYONE. If I say another child's name "Joe, can you please put your shoes away." "ME TOO?" "Everyone, it's clean up time. We are eating lunch in a few minutes." "ME TOO?" "I like how you shared your blocks Susie." "ME TOO?" (even though she is in the kitchen area). As you can imagine, this is happening HUNDREDS of times per day.

At first I said "no dcg, just X" or "yes dcg, everyone." but she kept it up. For the last month, I have completely ignored it. NOW she is repeating it OVER AND OVER until someone answers her. Today my 4yo dcb got in her face and said "IS YOUR NAME SUSIE!?" dcg said "No." and then "ME TOO?" AHHHHHHHHHH!
Instead of you saying "Yes, Susie you too" Ask her to repeat what you said. Then ask her what (pronoun) means.

For example:

"Joey, get your shoes on"

She said "Me too?"

You say "What name did I say Susie?"

When she replies "Joey" you say "Are you Joey?"

She says "No"

You say "Ok cool! Go play!"

If you say everyone and she says "me too" do the same thing. Ask what "everyone" means.
When she says "All the kids" then say "are you a kid?"
She says "yes"
You say "Then that means you too"

Just keep re-asking her what you said and ask HER to explain what that means. Rinse and repeat.

2. Dcb 4, he and other dcb do.not.get.along. they are oil and water and that's that. I never pair them together, but lately dcb has been going out of his way to tick off other dcb. Everytime dcb talks, dcb starts singing LOUDLY. Dcb asks him to stop, he gets LOUDER. If dcb says he likes something, other dcb says he doesn't. The kids are all taught here that they can set limits on another child's behavior. The other kids have NO PROBLEM walking up to someone, asking them to stop whatever is bothering them, and the other child listening. This kid is INSISTENT he doesn't have to listen to any kid. I have spoken to him, his parents, and have started putting him in TO for it (which even I think is extreme but it doesn't work anyway!) It's making other dcb's days miserable. Both are FT.

I'm open to any and all suggestions, as these two things alone are happening so frequently I feel like all I do is stop dcb from instigating and ignore dcg's incessant ME TOO's.
This kid would get 3 chances here. Each time he purposely bothered the other child, I would Remind him of the rule (#1). If he did it again, I would warn him (#2) of the consequence. The next time he did it, he would be removed from the group (#3) and no longer allowed to participate with the group for the remainder of the day.

Then I would make sure he is FULLY aware of how much fun the rest of the kids are having.

You don't have to like everyone and you don't have to be everyone's friend but you are NOT allowed to be bothersome to others. Period.

That's how I would address those issues.

HTH
preschoolteacher 12:13 PM 12-17-2014
Ooh, I like BC's advice. I think it would totally work. I have a "me too?" kid right now who does the exact same thing. He also asks the same question over and over even after hearing my response. For that one, I say "Did you hear my answer" and he says "yes" and I say "what did I say?" he responds and then I tell him "you only need to ask one time!"
midaycare 12:55 PM 12-17-2014
My DS was a question repeater. Not quite the same as "Me too" but similar. If I told him to go pick up his toys he would say, "So you want me to go pick up toys?" "Right now?" "Pick up toys right now?" It would go on and on. I did similar to Blackcat and just started saying, "What did I say?" DS: "To go pick up toys." Me: "Yes sir." Rinse and repeat.
daycarediva 10:30 AM 12-18-2014
I am taking your advice BC!

I have been asking dcg who I meant all day and she is getting annoyed with ME. HAHA!! I got an eye roll, hand on the hip, huff and answer at lunch.

I had to remove dcb from our BIG event this morning. His mother will NOT be happy, and he certainly wasn't, but he kept sabotaging dcg's project to the point I had to help her start over. I told them all the 'rules' before we sat down, and gave him two warnings, then I MOVED him and gave him another warning- outlining that he will no longer be allowed to participate if he did it one more time. He got up out of his chair to do it again. D O N E kid. He told me from the block area that I was on the naughty list.
melilley 10:51 AM 12-18-2014
Yes, take bc's advice!
I have one dcb here who always says "who me?" every time I mention anything with another child's name. I always say "is your name Mason?" he always laughs and says "no" and that's the end of it. Hopefully your dcg will do the same!
Blackcat31 11:02 AM 12-18-2014
I am taking your advice BC!

I have been asking dcg who I meant all day and she is getting annoyed with ME. HAHA!! I got an eye roll, hand on the hip, huff and answer at lunch.
Priceless!!

I had to remove dcb from our BIG event this morning. His mother will NOT be happy, and he certainly wasn't, but he kept sabotaging dcg's project to the point I had to help her start over. I told them all the 'rules' before we sat down, and gave him two warnings, then I MOVED him and gave him another warning- outlining that he will no longer be allowed to participate if he did it one more time. He got up out of his chair to do it again. D O N E kid. He told me from the block area that I was on the naughty list.
This one will probably get worse before it gets better but the second he realizes you mean business and WILL follow through, I guarantee he will change his tune.

His mom can be unhappy but I'd let her know that the little girl who's project he ruined will be even more unhappy so....
daycarediva 11:18 AM 12-18-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Priceless!!

This one will probably get worse before it gets better but the second he realizes you mean business and WILL follow through, I guarantee he will change his tune.

His mom can be unhappy but I'd let her know that the little girl who's project he ruined will be even more unhappy so....
I sent her an email so she was aware before she walked in and his was the only project not on display. It's an annual event here. I had a parent here volunteering that said she wouldn't have been so nice had it been her son doing that. I was mortified as he laughed through my warnings. Honestly, disobeying the second time was direct defiance and I was ready to take him off the table. I moved him, stopped his participation for a minute and made it very clear that he had NO more chances.
Reply Up