Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Craigslist
lovemylife 05:23 PM 09-14-2013
Ads like this really bug me!
Attached: image.jpg (91.6 KB) 
Scout 05:30 PM 09-14-2013
Can you copy/paste it? It's not working for me!
lovemylife 05:42 PM 09-14-2013
"I start my first daycare boy on Monday and will be starting a couple more the week after!
I was wondering if anyone could give me any ideas on best kind of schedules..punishments etc. I mean I kno what I'm doing I've taken care of kids a long time but all ideas would b great!
Also looking for any toys boy n girl that ppl would like to donate as my son doesn't have many and diffently no girl toys any learning things would be helpful and cots or anything g for kids to sleep on would be greatly appricated! Most of the money I make is being donated to the Dominic Elkins fund! I just care more about helping a child learn and grow more then I do about the money! I'm just asking for a little advice and help!
Thanks and god bless you all"

Here you go! This is what they posted. ^
Scout 05:50 PM 09-14-2013
Originally Posted by lovemylife:
"I start my first daycare boy on Monday and will be starting a couple more the week after!
I was wondering if anyone could give me any ideas on best kind of schedules..punishments etc. I mean I kno what I'm doing I've taken care of kids a long time but all ideas would b great!
Also looking for any toys boy n girl that ppl would like to donate as my son doesn't have many and diffently no girl toys any learning things would be helpful and cots or anything g for kids to sleep on would be greatly appricated! Most of the money I make is being donated to the Dominic Elkins fund! I just care more about helping a child learn and grow more then I do about the money! I'm just asking for a little advice and help!
Thanks and god bless you all"

Here you go! This is what they posted. ^
oh boy!!
lovemylife 05:59 PM 09-14-2013
The asking advice isn't the part that bugs me. It is asking for free hand outs and using the excuse of being a daycare provider! IMO you should have almost everything you need to start a daycare before you actually start accepting children. Especially toys!
jokalima 06:38 PM 09-14-2013
I don't like the word punishment that much. Sounds harsh, and after all, what else can you do besides t/out? Yes there are other things like taking a toy away, but punishment? That brings to mind sending them to their room, not letting them play with friends (more than time out) spanking etc... I would leave that for the parents and I would rather use t/out or redirection. Found this : http://urbanext.illinois.edu/nibbles...discipline.cfm and think it explains my point better.
lovemylife 06:53 PM 09-14-2013
Originally Posted by jokalima:
I don't like the word punishment that much. Sounds harsh, and after all, what else can you do besides t/out? Yes there are other things like taking a toy away, but punishment? That brings to mind sending them to their room, not letting them play with friends (more than time out) spanking etc... I would leave that for the parents and I would rather use t/out or redirection. Found this : http://urbanext.illinois.edu/nibbles...discipline.cfm and think it explains my point better.
Love that article! I agree with you that punishment was the wrong word! I don't know if it was completely by accident, like couldn't spell disapline or if she is actually using punishment.
cheerfuldom 07:08 PM 09-14-2013
I dont care what you say you are doing with the income, if you are not prepared to have children at your house then you shouldnt be doing it. shame on the parents that just send their kid over there....i am sure they can clearly see if she is prepared for kids with activities, sleeping accommodations, etc.
Leigh 09:29 PM 09-14-2013
I have seen SO many ads asking for "donations" to their daycare. If the daycare is non-profit, I can see it, but I am amazed at how many people see themselves as a charity when they run a daycare.
Starburst 09:59 PM 09-14-2013
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I have seen SO many ads asking for "donations" to their daycare. If the daycare is non-profit, I can see it, but I am amazed at how many people see themselves as a charity when they run a daycare.
I saw one similar to that in my area not too long ago (less than a week ago), she asked for a long list of items (in English and in Spanish). I understand requesting certain recycled items for art projects like milk cartons, cardboard boxes, plastic bottle tops, and paper towel rolls but she was asking for a list of children's furniture, curriculum, and toys (specifically "Montessori and Walden" toys). I know it doesn't hurt to ask but its kinda like "Really?" You are not willing to try to wait to save up for this expensive stuff and think someone is willing to just give you this stuff for free? Even if someone does give you all that for free it may be worn out or broken, which is against regulation.

And for the ad the OPs talking about, I think since she claims she is not doing this for her own profit that she will quickly burn out and decide to quit. Or that since she has nothing to lose or gain from this that she will be very flakey (taking multiple vacation, inconsistent or unreliable hours) or not have enough activities or structure for the children and that many parents will grow impatient and want a provider who does take child care as a serious career; and hopefully they will learn that just because providers watch children for money doesn't mean that they are "only in it for the money". We don't all have the privilege of doing things "just for fun" without having to worry about making a living.

If I was a parent I wouldn't want to take my child to her! She sounds very immature, clueless, and way too high maintenance (AKA spoiled, bratty,...) even if her proceeds do go to charity, the fact that she flaunts it around and makes snarky remarks about people who watch children to provide for their family shows that she is doing it for attention/praise and she is not a genuine altruist (not to mention extremely unprofessional).
Lyss 10:01 PM 09-14-2013
Did they email that to you or was that in CL? Just wondering because when I had spots to fill and was posting on CL, I received 3 separate emails, from 3 different 'providers,' asking I donate toys from my program to theirs. Not a toy swap or trade. The email was similar to this asking for advice and toys, but really it was the toys they wanted.

I think its rude. Would they be ok with an email from their insurance company asking for donations of paper, ink, and stamps? or their hairstylist asking for brushes, shampoo, and a hair dryer?

Honestly the donation of all profit comment just rubs me the wrong way. Like she can't admit she's in this profession to make money, I hate ads that say "I just love kids, I'm not in it for the money" because in reality the money is a reason they are in it. Plus it pulls on the guilt factor to some people

"sorry no toys to donate! I saved to pay for mine and need to get maximum use out of them to get my investment back. Advice? Use spell check! Good luck!"
Starburst 10:13 PM 09-14-2013
Originally Posted by Lyss:
Did they email that to you or was that in CL? Just wondering because when I had spots to fill and was posting on CL, I received 3 separate emails, from 3 different 'providers,' asking I donate toys from my program to theirs. Not a toy swap or trade they the email was similar to this asking for advice and toys.
It was on craigslist but she was asking for expensive items; specifically Montessori or Walden related toys/materials. As I read this I am thinking "Sure just let me give you brand new toys that cost over $100 for free ". The problem is everyone wants and expects everything to be top of the line and brand spanking new. There are lots of discount websites and thrift stores (the Goodwill in my city is very picky about what they accept). At the end of every season most stores have clearance sales (that's how I got a toddler play kitchen at target for less than $8). For some basic things you can go to the $1 store until you can save up enough for a higher quality item (my $1 store has BPA free bottles).

I am really surprised that you got E-mails for 3 different providers who thought you would want to get rid of decent toys for free. I know BC says "We are all in this together" but honestly, if they are in your area they are still your competition!

ETA: I think there should also be more awareness for child care providers on places where they can save money on teaching tools. I know in the same city as my tri-county DHS department has a RAFT museum (RAFT= Resource Area for Teaching). Most of the items are donated from big companies and it has some of the most random items (some even in bulk) that you can't really find anywhere else. Some things you can buy a bag full of stuff (like CD cases, pens, stickers, stencils, buttons, corks) for about $1 or $2. The best thing about this store is that it is only for teachers and ECE professionals (including family child care providers). But buy you do have to be a member (membership is $40 for a year, renew I think is about $20).
Lyss 10:32 PM 09-14-2013
Originally Posted by Starburst:
I am really surprised that you got E-mails for 3 different providers who thought you would want to get rid of decent toys for free. I know BC says "We are all in this together" but honestly, if they are in your area they are still your competition!
Yeah it was over a 2 month period and none since (granted I haven't had to use CL since then), but it was really weird. I was wondering if the last 2 got the email from the 1st one and thought it was a good idea to get free stuff maybe?

Two were SAHMs looking for "contract copies and advice" as well as toys the kids were bored with because toys are "expensive" or they only had ones for a specific gender. The other was a lady opening her FCC after getting her AA in 3 months. She was looking to start a stockpile and figured established providers had stockpiles of stuff they don't use anymore and could "pass on"
Unregistered 06:23 AM 09-16-2013
I just came across this ad on Craigslist

In need of child care Monday-Friday. Does need transportation as we don't have a vehicle at the moment. He's 1 years old, loveable and listens. He's a bit clingy when mommy and daddy are gone. Uses sippy cups, and almost out of diapers. Need one ASAp! Email me if you meet the standards. Please and Thank you looking for prices between 50-100 please be reasonable. I'm currently the only one working
Blackcat31 06:30 AM 09-16-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:

In need of child care Monday-Friday. Does need transportation as we don't have a vehicle at the moment. He's 1 years old, loveable and listens. He's a bit clingy when mommy and daddy are gone. Uses sippy cups, and almost out of diapers. Need one ASAp! Email me if you meet the standards. Please and Thank you looking for prices between 50-100 please be reasonable. I'm currently the only one working
Nothing unreasonable there.

Many providers offer transportation and in all sorts of situations....
Many providers charge $50-$100 per week

He sounds like a typical 1 yr old to me, other than the "almost out of diapers" comment, but he could be 1 yrs old but in reality be 1 year and 10 months....

Sounds like a lower income family trying to make ends meet.
Familycare71 06:31 AM 09-16-2013

Soooo... Why does he need daycare if the Poster is the only one working??
And one year old and almost out of diapers! I hope she means they need to make a trip to the store!!
Blackcat31 06:36 AM 09-16-2013
Originally Posted by Familycare71:
Soooo... Why does he need daycare if the Poster is the only one working??
And one year old and almost out of diapers! I hope she means they need to make a trip to the store!!
I have many parents who say their child is 1 when in reality they are 18 months or whatever....once they reach 1 year old, they just say 1 verses saying the months too....

Only one parent may be "working" but that doesn't mean the other one isn't in college full time or volunteering or doing something else that makes them unavailable to care for the child during the day...
Unregistered 06:36 AM 09-16-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Nothing unreasonable there.

Many providers offer transportation and in all sorts of situations....
Many providers charge $50-$100 per week

He sounds like a typical 1 yr old to me, other than the "almost out of diapers" comment, but he could be 1 yrs old but in reality be 1 year and 10 months....

Sounds like a lower income family trying to make ends meet.
I've never heard of a provider picking up a child at home watching them all day and then taking them home. Especially for only $50-$100 a week.
Blackcat31 06:37 AM 09-16-2013
I've never heard of a provider picking up a child at home watching them all day and then taking them home. Especially for only $50-$100 a week.
There are two providers here in my community that transport kids to and from their homes. One actually owns a little bus to do it with...totally cute!!

Normal rates around here is $75-$150 per week for full time care.
Unregistered 06:54 AM 09-16-2013
There are two providers here in my community that transport kids to and from their homes. One actually owns a little bus to do it with...totally cute!!

Normal rates around here is $75-$150 per week for full time care.

That would be so much fun to have a little kid bus! Your rates are a lot lower than here. In home is around $150-$180 and Centers $200-$280!
Blackcat31 07:12 AM 09-16-2013
That would be so much fun to have a little kid bus! Your rates are a lot lower than here. In home is around $150-$180 and Centers $200-$280!
I know right?! I think it definitely lends to a unique service

Yep, I charge $150 for a full time child ages 2-5. I charge a bit more for kids under age 2 and don't take school age kids at all.

I definitely am at the high end of the rates around here and have been doing this for 20+ years. When I first started out, rates were barely over $1 per hour.

New daycares opening up around here charge anywhere from $75-$120 per week.
Unregistered 07:18 AM 09-16-2013
I know right?! I think it definitely lends to a unique service

Yep, I charge $150 for a full time child ages 2-5. I charge a bit more for kids under age 2 and don't take school age kids at all.

I definitely am at the high end of the rates around here and have been doing this for 20+ years. When I first started out, rates were barely over $1 per hour.

New daycares opening up around here charge anywhere from $75-$120 per week.

It is so interesting to hear how different things are from state to state!
MarinaVanessa 10:15 AM 09-16-2013

I just think it's funny that (because everything else is pretty common) that her only standard criteria is to have a car for transportation . At least it's not a laundry list of expectations for next to nothing pay.
madwilp3 01:00 PM 09-16-2013
Originally Posted by lovemylife:
IMO you should have almost everything you need to start a daycare before you actually start accepting children.
Agreed!
nanglgrl 01:55 PM 09-17-2013
I've never checked the ads in my area on Craigslist but all of my daycare kids are gone and I have nothing to do while I wait for my child to get off the bus. Here are a few winners I found:

Another Craigslist ad: Seeking Senior or College student part-time (Janesville/Waverly)
I am trying to find a reliable and responsible high school Senior or college student for about 30 min a day, Mon-Thurs from 3:15-3:45. This will pay $20 a week so $80 a month for about 8 hours of work per month!!
My son attends Waverly Middle School and we live outside of the district in Janesville. I need someone to help pick him up after school and drive him to our house in Janesville. This is not a babysitting position, it is just picking him up and dropping him off at home. Once home, we have a teenager from Janesville who watches him, just doesn't drive yet!

The problem with this ad is that the person who takes this job would be driving a minimum of 25 miles a day to and from the school if they lived next door to the poster but would more than likely be driving at least 40 miles a day for a whopping $5!

Another good one:
60 year old retired teacher will give quality childcare in your home, I'm firm at $650/hr, cash only, will do very lite house work, I'm very active and ready to please, can't list me as a tax write -off, thanks so much!!

I'm doubting she got any calls for childcare at $650 an hour but then again I don't know the rate for nannies in this area. I like how she pretty much says, "trust me with your children" and "I have no problem breaking the law" all in one sentence!

The last one for the day isn't an ad but a warning:
Independence, IA daycare alert (Independence, IA)
This is for anybody that lives in or around Independence, IA looking for daycare: Do not take your kid to XXXXXXX. She was previously registered by the state for an in home daycare and after a few months of it she got it taken away from her. Reasoning: She had taken a .40 calibur hand gun out everyday and set it on her TV in the bedroom that the daycare kids had access too. One day she had ...a daycare kid find it, reach, it and shot the gun through the wall. This was an event that could of turned into a deadly event but she was lucky enough it didnt. She nor her boyfriend, Jeremy, is taking responsibility for any of it. I have heard that she is contuniuing to watch daycare kids and this is concerning to me. Dont take your kids there unless you want to take the chance that your kid could be not supervised and get shot.

I don't even know what to say about this one!
Familycare71 02:43 PM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
I've never checked the ads in my area on Craigslist but all of my daycare kids are gone and I have nothing to do while I wait for my child to get off the bus. Here are a few winners I found:

Another Craigslist ad: Seeking Senior or College student part-time (Janesville/Waverly)
I am trying to find a reliable and responsible high school Senior or college student for about 30 min a day, Mon-Thurs from 3:15-3:45. This will pay $20 a week so $80 a month for about 8 hours of work per month!!
My son attends Waverly Middle School and we live outside of the district in Janesville. I need someone to help pick him up after school and drive him to our house in Janesville. This is not a babysitting position, it is just picking him up and dropping him off at home. Once home, we have a teenager from Janesville who watches him, just doesn't drive yet!

The problem with this ad is that the person who takes this job would be driving a minimum of 25 miles a day to and from the school if they lived next door to the poster but would more than likely be driving at least 40 miles a day for a whopping $5!

Another good one:
60 year old retired teacher will give quality childcare in your home, I'm firm at $650/hr, cash only, will do very lite house work, I'm very active and ready to please, can't list me as a tax write -off, thanks so much!!

I'm doubting she got any calls for childcare at $650 an hour but then again I don't know the rate for nannies in this area. I like how she pretty much says, "trust me with your children" and "I have no problem breaking the law" all in one sentence!

This is for anybody that lives in or around Independence, IA looking for daycare: Do not take your kid to XXXXXXX. She was previously registered by the state for an in home daycare and after a few months of it she got it taken away from her. Reasoning: She had taken a .40 calibur hand gun out everyday and set it on her TV in the bedroom that the daycare kids had access too. One day she had ...a daycare kid find it, reach, it and shot the gun through the wall. This was an event that could of turned into a deadly event but she was lucky enough it didnt. She nor her boyfriend, Jeremy, is taking responsibility for any of it. I have heard that she is contuniuing to watch daycare kids and this is concerning to me. Dont take your kids there unless you want to take the chance that your kid could be not supervised and get shot.

lovemylife 02:44 PM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:

Another good one:

Wow! Just wow! First one: working to loose money, especially with gas so high!

Second I really hope she meant $650 a week. Which is still outrageous! Working with kids and breaking the law...great idea!

Last one: How is this slipping past the police or DHS? That is so scary!!
lovemylife 04:58 PM 09-17-2013
Found another one. Not bad, just sounds desperate.
Attached: image.jpg (60.8 KB) 
NeedaVaca 05:05 PM 09-17-2013
I just read one that wasn't really that bad until the end...she says "I have experience but not professional experience, nor am I CPR trained but I live right next the the hospital"

I just kind of chuckled at the last part
Tags:craigslist oddities
Reply Up