Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Book Recommendation
Josiegirl 06:31 PM 11-27-2014
I'd like to get a book for a 4 1/2 yo girl who's not your typical little 'loves Frozen, Hello Kitty and everything princess' girl. Last year for Christmas she wanted a shark and she dressed up as a dinosaur for Halloween. Any clues? Thanks!
Or any other gift ideas would be much appreciated!
Laurel 08:07 AM 11-28-2014
My granddaughter likes all things nonfiction.

I've found the books by DK publishing to be very nice. I am looking now on Barnes and Noble online. Look through the non fiction section. I am finding some non fiction paperback books 'how to draw' books because that is her interest. I see some from DK that are paperback non fiction with stickers. Some are trucks, cars, etc. and I'm sure you'll find an animal one. Those were only $6 odd dollars too. They also have quite a collection of the seek and find kind of books like I Spy, etc. I'm sure you could find an animal one or other non fiction one.

Laurel
Indoorvoice 11:32 AM 11-28-2014
My tom boy 4 year old girl loves Pete The Cat books.
midaycare 12:29 PM 11-28-2014
Originally Posted by altandra:
My tom boy 4 year old girl loves Pete The Cat books.
I second this!
Starburst 08:32 PM 11-29-2014
Boy or girl, you can't go wrong with Dr. Seuss or Winnie the Pooh (unless her parents already have a collection).

My cousin's 5 year old son had a book called "Clark the Shark" (might be a series), since she apparently likes sharks that's something you can look into.

The only book in my head that comes to mind with a dinosaur is a book called "All My friends Are Dead". It's a very funny book (they have readings of it on youtube) but some parents might find it a bit too morbid or inappropriate for a 4 year old (though the writing style is at about a preschool level), depends on their sense of humor.

You can also try 'I Spy' books (hidden object activity book).
Unregistered 07:18 AM 11-30-2014
Originally Posted by Starburst:

The only book in my head that comes to mind with a dinosaur is a book called "All My friends Are Dead". It's a very funny book (they have readings of it on youtube) but some parents might find it a bit too morbid or inappropriate for a 4 year old (though the writing style is at about a preschool level), depends on their sense of humor.
Um, that book is suppose to be a joke or gag gift...it is definitely not meant for kids.
Unregistered 09:33 AM 11-30-2014
I second the I Spy Books. There are dozens of them in all different topic areas.
Hours of challenge and fun for boys or girls.
Rachel 10:27 PM 12-04-2014
I like the Klutz books. And there are a bunch of how to draw or those types. We have one making hand art my kids love.
Josiegirl 02:45 AM 12-05-2014
Thank you all very much for your suggestions!! I knew I'd receive help here.
Tags:book suggestions, book suggestions - 4 yo
Reply Up