Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Reasons You Question How Well The State Knows Kids...
Lissa Kristine 09:34 AM 11-12-2017
Ever look at state regulations and question whether your state knows ANYTHING about kids.

For example, in NJ, you can have 6 18 month to 2 year olds per teacher. At 2-1/2, it jumps up to a 1:10 ratio.

Have these people ever SEEN a 2-1/2 year old?!

Sometimes, state regulations baffle me.

Children under 1 year old are not allowed to have any blankets while sleeping. The ONLY thing they're allowed to have is a sleep sack. I get it. I really do.

Problem is, making rules based on AGE in this case makes absolutely NO sense. In one daycare, you can have a child who is 10 months old who is already walking around, and one who is 14 months who hasn't taken his first steps yet. Yet, the 14 month old is allowed a blanket in his crib because he's over the age of one. Yet the 10 month old, who is physically more "advanced" than his friend who is 4 months his senior is not allowed a blanket.

Anyone else notice any state regulations that really don't make sense?
Michael 01:42 PM 11-12-2017
Welcome to the forum. I'll upgrade your status.
flying_babyb 01:44 PM 11-12-2017
Yea, I get it! we can have 14 kids between 2-3 in our classroom. So I get a bunch of twos and a few 3s so I end up with 9 kids by myself. Does state not realize that two year old are hard little beings who need lots of attention? Heck, 1 to 4 with infants is hard enough!
Lissa Kristine 02:24 PM 11-12-2017
It's not even a case of "have they ever worked with toddlers before?" It's more of a case of "have they ever SEEN a toddler before?"

The general consensus is, no, they have not.
Josiegirl 02:30 PM 11-12-2017
Two things
1. You're preaching to the choir here. lol
2. You're talking about the state. lol
A lot, ok probably most, of the state rule makers have no clue about children, what they need, what's developmentally appropriate; they're only going by what they think or what new-age beliefs are at the moment.
Just look at the mess in most every state with quality child care and what they're all pushing to achieve that label.
Look at all the rules they're pushing onto teachers with standardized testing, etc. Look at all the ridiculous new rules with the Food Program.
Any place the state is involved, you have to shake your head in disbelief and ask why.
Blackcat31 03:49 PM 11-12-2017
I agree but it costs money to decipher one situation from another.

Like group care, that kind of individual “attention” isn’t feasible.
Mike 06:00 PM 11-12-2017
A perfect example of how little is put towards making rules is how one state or province says you can watch 8 infants or toddlers, while another says the limit is 2. What's the difference? Are DCPs in one state or province better than the ones in the other? There are so many differences between different areas, and even among counties. Wouldn't it make more sense for them all to get together, figure out what it really should be, then make minor variations if they want.
BumbleBee 05:15 AM 11-13-2017
It's not just daycare that the state is clueless about, I have many daycare families who are farmers (fruit, veggies, pigs, cows, etc) and they say the same thing about their state rules. The general consensus amongst them is the state has never set foot in a farm. Ever.
Tags:daycare environment, regulations
Reply Up