Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ice Storm
Unregistered 10:29 AM 01-13-2017
Anyone here in the path of the ice storm? I am and have had parents ask me if I will be closed on Monday? I don't know if we will close or not it depends on what the weather does. I close when schools close but the schools are already out for milk day. So if other daycares and business close we will too! Better safe than sorry!

What are you all doing to prepare for the ice storm?

Everyone in the path of the ice storm stay safe!
finsup 10:33 AM 01-13-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Anyone here in the path of the ice storm? I am and have had parents ask me if I will be closed on Monday? I don't know if we will close or not it depends on what the weather does. I close when schools close but the schools are already out for milk day. So if other daycares and business close we will too! Better safe than sorry!

Everyone in the path of the ice storm stay safe!
I would just say you will be keeping an eye on the weather and let them know asap. However, it wouldn't be a bad idea to secure back up care now, just in case
No ice storm for us this time! I'm in Maine though, and this winter has been awful for ice. We've had a ton of melting the last few days but my driveway is still just a pure sheet of it. So ready for spring!
jenboo 10:38 AM 01-13-2017
I'm not sure what ice storm you are referring to but my city has broken every one of its winter records this year for snow.
We had 5 snow days plus the weekend in there. The past few days its been raining and then it freezes over night so our city is just a big ice rink.
Gemma 10:54 AM 01-13-2017
school here reopen today after 5 days of being closed due to icy conditions...
I don't close due to poor weather, but I let parents know if they choose to come, it's their choice, I won't be held responsible if they get into an accident.
I shouldn't even have to say that....I mean you can't sue Walmart if you decide to go shopping during a storm, why should it be any different with Daycare, right?
e.j. 11:33 AM 01-13-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I'm in New England so not in the path but we did have an ice storm several years back. If you're in an area that is expected to get enough ice to coat and take down trees and power lines, consider getting a generator if you don't already own one. We waited for 8 days for our power to come back on; it felt like the longest 8 days of my life! It was cold. We had no heat, hot water or lights. Our basement flooded so we lost all kinds of household supplies we had stocked up on. We lost all of the food in the refrigerator and extra freezer that we had stocked up on...Not a fun experience! A generator would have saved us a lot of headaches. Unfortunately, by the time we knew we needed one, you couldn't find one anywhere because they had sold out so fast. Good luck and stay safe.
ColorfulSunburst 11:52 AM 01-13-2017
I keep my daycare open during all snow days and any other bad weather days. The parents pay me good money for my service and I do not want to play "bad weather day" game with them. I do not have any commute and it is not difficult for me to be opened. Usually, nurse's and doc's kids are here during bad weather days.
Ariana 12:34 PM 01-13-2017
I never close for weather
Blackcat31 12:42 PM 01-13-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I never close for weather
If I closed for weather, I'd have definitely closed today...
Attached: COLD.jpg (52.9 KB) 
Silly Songs 02:28 PM 01-13-2017
Oh Backcat, it's over 70 here today and I have the a/c on in the house. We should house swap, preferably in the summer. I have a feeling it's probably nice in the summer where you live.
Blackcat31 03:17 PM 01-13-2017
Originally Posted by Silly Songs:
Oh Backcat, it's over 70 here today and I have the a/c on in the house. We should house swap, preferably in the summer. I have a feeling it's probably nice in the summer where you live.
Yes, summers are very nice here! 80-90ies but very humid... We actually have textbook seasons...all 4 of them.

Which is what makes each of them bearable.... when you are sick of one, another is just starting.
Silly Songs 03:47 PM 01-13-2017
Hopefully not as humid as Houston.
Mike 05:01 PM 01-13-2017
Originally Posted by e.j.:
I'm in New England so not in the path but we did have an ice storm several years back. If you're in an area that is expected to get enough ice to coat and take down trees and power lines, consider getting a generator if you don't already own one. We waited for 8 days for our power to come back on; it felt like the longest 8 days of my life! It was cold. We had no heat, hot water or lights. Our basement flooded so we lost all kinds of household supplies we had stocked up on. We lost all of the food in the refrigerator and extra freezer that we had stocked up on...Not a fun experience! A generator would have saved us a lot of headaches. Unfortunately, by the time we knew we needed one, you couldn't find one anywhere because they had sold out so fast. Good luck and stay safe.
Reminds me of a big ice storm we had several years ago.
Power went out... ah, won't be long...
Called a couple hours later and couldn't even get through.
Found out later that evening that it was massive, and basement started flooding. Only an inch at the pump, but was spreading quick, so my father and I ran in town, (15 min drive), to get a generator, while my brother and mother took turns bailing out the basement. All we could get was 1 500W generator. Last one in the store and all other stores were out.
Went back home and plugged in the sump pump.
We slept that night with lots of blankets and comforters.
Next day, my father and I ran to Toronto, (3.5 hours away), and came back with a 3500W generator.
I rigged up a reverse plug and we used it to power the house. We couldn't power everything at once, but could keep the house comfortable, and save the food, and bring in a few other family members.
8 days later, we got our power back. Some places were still a few days away.

I'm going to post a separate thread about powering a house with a generator.

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Yes, summers are very nice here! 80-90ies but very humid... We actually have textbook seasons...all 4 of them.

Which is what makes each of them bearable.... when you are sick of one, another is just starting.
That's Canada, unless you go too far north, and northern US. Hot summers, cold winters, wet springs, and colorful falls.By the end of summer, we're looking forward to cooler temperatures, but by the end of winter (or the middle), we're looking forward to the warmer weather.
Mad_Pistachio 08:55 AM 01-14-2017
Monday is MLK Jr day, many are off... no?
LysesKids 10:37 AM 01-14-2017
Originally Posted by Mad_Pistachio:
Monday is MLK Jr day, many are off... no?
I'm not closed but all the schools & Federal/State offices are. Thankful I'm not in the way of the ice... had that issue 2 years ago & it was no fun
Ariana 10:37 AM 01-14-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

We are the same! I usually leave it up to the parents to brave the weather. If I closed for snow, ice rain, thunder and lightening etc I wouldn't be open much!

Now if it was a hurricane or a tornado like you guys on the coast have to deal with then I might make an exception.
Ariana 10:42 AM 01-14-2017
Originally Posted by Mike:
Reminds me of a big ice storm we had several years ago.
Power went out... ah, won't be long...
Called a couple hours later and couldn't even get through.
Found out later that evening that it was massive, and basement started flooding. Only an inch at the pump, but was spreading quick, so my father and I ran in town, (15 min drive), to get a generator, while my brother and mother took turns bailing out the basement. All we could get was 1 500W generator. Last one in the store and all other stores were out.
Went back home and plugged in the sump pump.
We slept that night with lots of blankets and comforters.
Next day, my father and I ran to Toronto, (3.5 hours away), and came back with a 3500W generator.
I rigged up a reverse plug and we used it to power the house. We couldn't power everything at once, but could keep the house comfortable, and save the food, and bring in a few other family members.
8 days later, we got our power back. Some places were still a few days away.

I'm going to post a separate thread about powering a house with a generator.

That's Canada, unless you go too far north, and northern US. Hot summers, cold winters, wet springs, and colorful falls.By the end of summer, we're looking forward to cooler temperatures, but by the end of winter (or the middle), we're looking forward to the warmer weather.
I used to live in Northern Canada and moved to Southern Canada the year of the ice storm. I remember driving to the grocery store wondering why it was empty I literally had no idea why people were freaking out. 20 years later I get it! Up North we had a storm with windchills of -80 degrees celcius (-112F I think). Everyone was smart enough to have a woodstove to supplement the oil furnaces so everyone was safe. A few trees landed on rooves but most everyone was fine.
Mike 11:54 AM 01-14-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I used to live in Northern Canada and moved to Southern Canada the year of the ice storm. I remember driving to the grocery store wondering why it was empty I literally had no idea why people were freaking out. 20 years later I get it! Up North we had a storm with windchills of -80 degrees celcius (-112F I think). Everyone was smart enough to have a woodstove to supplement the oil furnaces so everyone was safe. A few trees landed on rooves but most everyone was fine.
We have some relatives who live up in Northern Ontario. They are generally prepared for their weather and power outages. More people need to prepare for things better.
mommyneedsadayoff 12:48 PM 01-14-2017
I close if schools close. That is rare, so when they close, it's bc the roads are bad and usually closed or no travel advised. They will actually ticket drivers at that point, so i just close and hopefully everyone stays home
LysesKids 12:56 PM 01-14-2017
Originally Posted by Mike:
We have some relatives who live up in Northern Ontario. They are generally prepared for their weather and power outages. More people need to prepare for things better.
Some of us either don't have the $$ for extras and in my case, I also live in a manufactured home... can't have a wood stove put in because of codes & I don't have a fireplace nor anywhere to store a small generator.

I went thru the ice storm here 2 years ago & we were without power for 5 days; I ended up in an extended stay hotel 30 minutes away because of extreme negative temps (yes, I had to close the childcare because of no power, but then everything else was closed too including stores, offices etc)... it was either that or go to the shelter that everyone else packed into.

I left 48 hrs into trying to stay in a cold dark house lol (down comforters and thinsulate clothing can only do so much) I do have a Grill, camp lights and heater meals (back up stash), but in -20 and you have to pick when to give up lol
Tags:ice - hazard, ice storm, storm, winter weather
Reply Up