Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Part Time and Paid Holidays
tenderhearts 03:07 PM 10-30-2012
This has come up for me in the past and each time I just get frustrated with it.
So in my contract it states that Thanksgiving and the day after are paid holidays for me and if these are scheduled contract dates they pay them. I have a part time family, here Mon, Thur & Fri, yesterday she asked me since I was closed those days if I could watch her son on Wed instead and keep the same rate, all I said due to it was a chaotic time I said I'll have to see if I have anything available not thinking at all about what she said keeping it the same rate. In my contract it does also state that if you need another day during the week if there is availability you can do this but you will be charged, I don't really have anything in there about switching days. They fill out a sheet that says these are your contracted days and times and you pay for these days whether or not your child is in care.
So I don't have anything available for him on Wednesday so I can't add the day for them, but how do others of you handle part time and "switching" days? I generally would do it IF I have the availability it doesn't happen very often any more but being it's a Holiday and it's paid would you switch it and just charge the same amount or would you make them pay the Holiday since it's their normal day AND make them pay the added day? Hope this made sense.
Michael 03:25 PM 10-30-2012
Some helpful threads: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...=paid+holidays

https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=part+time
bgmeyers 03:45 PM 10-30-2012
She is trying to NOT pay your for a holiday/paid day. Don't do it.
tenderhearts 05:07 PM 10-30-2012
I agree she's trying to not pay anything more, but how do others word this whole thing in their contracts? I have it in mine but maybe I need to be more specific even though I think it's pretty clear. I do know alot of people will switch a day if someone is part time if they are contracted for Mon, Wed, Fri and they'll switch Mon for Tues if they have the room and don't charge for the added day they just switch. I just hate it when people expect you to do it.

Also how do I correct what I didn't say to her when she asked about wednesday since I was closed the rest of the week and paying the "same" amount? It was busy and all I said to her was I'll see what the availability is on that Wednesday.
In my contract this is exactly what it says
"Part time care is min. 3 days per week. You must pay all contracted days whether or not child is in care. Additional days may be added with authorization and you will be charged for that day." Do I just say I'm sorry I don't have anything available Wed (which is true) and also I need to explain that I don't "switch" out days, you can come an additional day but you are charged. It should be fresh in her mind because they have only been here about 2 months.
JenNJ 07:02 PM 10-30-2012
If it is a holiday, they pay their regular rate. If they want to add days, I charge by the day.

It seems harmless, but what she is really doing is taking a paid holiday away from you. She is breaking contract. If she wants to pay for four days I would have no issue, but that isn't what she is asking.
EchoMom 07:36 PM 10-30-2012
Only because it's 2 days and she is M/Th/F so she'd be using only one day but paying for three, it seems a little harsh. I totally agree with you though and that's the contract so that's what it should be and she's just SOL and happens to have a bad schedule that week as far as getting her money's worth. But I would switch at no extra cost IF I had the room, just to be nice, and just because it does seem like 2 paid days off is a tough pill to swallow. Plus she's only been with you 2 months and she happens to be joining you right during the holidays when most paid closed days occur.

You totally have the right to charge her the full week and she'll just have to deal with that. But IF you have the room, I would be nice and let her switch at no extra cost.
MyAngels 07:42 PM 10-30-2012
Originally Posted by glenechogirl:
You totally have the right to charge her the full week and she'll just have to deal with that. But IF you have the room, I would be nice and let her switch at no extra cost.
One problem I can see with doing this, is that every time there is a paid holiday she will be expecting the same accomodation. Since her schedule is M-Th-F that will happen with nearly every holiday.
EchoMom 07:57 PM 10-30-2012
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
One problem I can see with doing this, is that every time there is a paid holiday she will be expecting the same accomodation. Since her schedule is M-Th-F that will happen with nearly every holiday.
I agree, this woman has a crappy schedule, lol!
Chatter Box 08:11 PM 10-30-2012
I have it in my contract that if a holiday falls on their normal day they are required to pay it and they can come another day if they want to pay extra. Or they can utilize their required back up care. If the holiday does not fall on their regular day they do not pay. They are permitted to switch days provided that they pay the extra day(s). Seemed the most fair to me.

I do not take part time families that come different days every week. It has to be a set schedule for the most part. I have one that can move her days around if she wants to but she only does it for the holidays. I let it slide only because she pays me more every week by choice than my other part timer because she doesn't ever want me to quit her since she went from full time to part time on me.

It seems to work out though. They think it's fair.
melissa13 06:26 AM 10-31-2012
I have parents that try this all the time. It gets easier each time. We just tell them if we have the availability then yes but you will be charged the extra day. They also try and do this on party days. Very annoying!
tenderhearts 07:24 AM 10-31-2012
That's exactly what's in my contract and like someone else said IF I had the opportunity to switch I feel I want to do it to be nice but then again for years I'd give in and I've had a few families that have taken advantage of it and do it all the time and if I do it once they'll just keep expecting it.
I just don't know if I should just say, I don't have anything additional on Wednesday and explain that I'm at full capacity each day now (which is true) and therefore "adding" a day probablly will not be an option unless someone is on vacation or sick? Or should I tell her I have nothing on wednesday and explain that I don't "switch" days but they can add a day if available.

I'm not trying to make extra money out of someone by doing this and I feel that's how some would see it and I want to be nice and understanding too. I hate when these types of things come up.
daycarediva 07:36 AM 10-31-2012
I don't switch days. I have it in my parent handbook as well, it's pretty clear. Your contracted days are set to allow me to enroll another PT child. I'm not mean about it, but I have been asked a LOT about this, and it does get old as it is something that is hammered in at interview and signing. Your fees are based on CONTRACT and not attendance. I always refer to that and add that if I have the availability I would be happy to do an additional day (my drop in rate is higher but I charge them just an additional days rate).
Blackcat31 08:06 AM 10-31-2012
My handbook states :

Holidays

ALL families are required to pay for holiday days when the child care is closed. Families may not schedule around holidays to avoid being charged. For example, if you are scheduled to attend 3 days per week, the holiday will be counted as one of your days leaving you 2 days of attendance to use.

The only exception to this is families who attend 2 or less days per week. Those families must pay for their regular days in addition to the holiday day.

For families who attend 5 days per week and there is a closed day in the week, they still have to pay their full tuition as well as lose out on a day of care since I am closed. The part time families should have the same boundaries....pay for their normal tuition rate and lose out on the day of care.

The point of a paid holiday to me is being paid for a day off and NOT having the child one (or however many) less days per week.
tenderhearts 08:13 AM 10-31-2012
I agree, I don't think it's fair to FT people that are out a day, they can't switch a day so I don't think PT should do it either, although I feel bad in a way still.
I will tell her that I don't have an opening on Wednesday and say and I also wanted to let you know for future reference that I do not "switch" days, you can add a day and pay an additional rate for that day. Should I explain why? I always feel I need to explain myself lol
WDW 11:39 AM 10-31-2012
Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
I agree, I don't think it's fair to FT people that are out a day, they can't switch a day so I don't think PT should do it either, although I feel bad in a way still.
I will tell her that I don't have an opening on Wednesday and say and I also wanted to let you know for future reference that I do not "switch" days, you can add a day and pay an additional rate for that day. Should I explain why? I always feel I need to explain myself lol
I wouldn't explain unless she asked, and if she did, I'd try and be brief. I tend to "over explain" myself too, and I'm trying to stop. Actually, the f/t families not getting to switch is a good example, you "have to be fair." I agree with the pp who said the point is to get a paid day off... less work for the week for the same money. This is the same deal your parents are getting.. they don't have to work Saturday or Sunday because they got Thursday off, right? And as far as the crappy sch.... yeah, that's tough BUT it's ONE WEEK out of the whole year. In the past I would have let her switch, but I have put my foot down on that now. If only I could do that for so many other things....
tenderhearts 12:30 PM 10-31-2012
I'm trying to put my foot down too, I feel bad but then I don't. This particular family, she has Tue/Wed off, I do not believe she gets paid for the Holiday but I think her husband does, but still THEY signed the contract and know that's what's in it so if you don't like it don't sign up.
Unregistered 01:25 PM 12-01-2015
sounds like only in child care do you receive paid holidays for doing a part time job.
midaycare 01:47 PM 12-01-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
sounds like only in child care do you receive paid holidays for doing a part time job.
Completely untrue. I had a job working 20 hours a week here I had paid holidays and vacation time.

I'm also not sure why you think child care is part time? I work from 7:00 am to 6:00 pm every Mon-Friday, and also spend weekends working on daycare things. How many hours a child comes doesn't affect my total hours. If I had a part time parent who argued with me about this, they would be termed immediately. Obviously, they don't respect my job.
Blackcat31 01:59 PM 12-01-2015
and....?

If getting paid for holidays as a child care provider sounds like a good thing, then you'd better hurry and open a child care business before the holiday season ends.

I hear they make a TON of money!!

If you are speaking as a parent that has to pay your provider for holidays and you don't like that, then you better hurry and find a new provider. There are providers/programs out there that don't charge parents for holidays.

Otherwise, I fail to see what the issue is...

Find a provider that suits YOUR needs. I have to find clients that suit mine so it's only fair.
e.j. 05:29 PM 12-01-2015
Definitely not true. I've worked several part time jobs outside of child care that paid part timers holiday pay - as long as they were normally scheduled to work on that day of the week.
rosieteddy 09:48 AM 12-02-2015
I encouraged part timers to choose other days.I was very upfront with them.If you choose Mon ,you will pay for Holidays.If I had space they could add a day for extra tuition daily rate that week...They may have worked part time but my job was full time .I had paid holidays.
Ariana 10:24 AM 12-02-2015
Originally Posted by bgmeyers:
She is trying to NOT pay your for a holiday/paid day. Don't do it.
Yes. This. She is trying to get him cared for in lieu of the holiday not in ADDITION to the holiday. I would carry on business as usual. Let her know you are unavailable to take him on Wednesday and expect full payment.

Everyone knows that part-time employees get paid on holidays if they are scheduled to work. ALSO businesses are required to pay time and a half if an employee does work on a scheduled holiday. Maybe that arrangement would work better for parents (doubt it!). I am also upfront with parents that since most holidays fall on Monday they are wise to choose different days if they can. I have never had a parent that had an issue with this.
daycarediva 10:29 AM 12-02-2015
Originally Posted by midaycare:
Completely untrue. I had a job working 20 hours a week here I had paid holidays and vacation time.

I'm also not sure why you think child care is part time? I work from 7:00 am to 6:00 pm every Mon-Friday, and also spend weekends working on daycare things. How many hours a child comes doesn't affect my total hours. If I had a part time parent who argued with me about this, they would be termed immediately. Obviously, they don't respect my job.

I work 50+ hours a week 50 weeks a year, with NO other benefits. So yep, don't begrudge us paid holidays.
Tags:paid holidays, part time
Reply Up