Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>Ok, Here Goes....
treehugger82 08:09 PM 03-13-2011
I will be opening in May. I am just getting my contract together and all of the other paperwork that I need.
Anyway... the more I think about it, the more I realize I don't want to to any sort of curriculum, I don't want any kids under 12 months of age, and I will be taking the dck with me to run my kids to their extracurriculars (sports, library time, etc.) as I don't want them missing out on those things. I am starting to wonder if anyone else runs their daycare this way. I guess I am thinking, to boil it down here, that the dck will be a part of our every day life, instead of our every day revolving around a business in our home. Does this make sense? I just don't know if this is realistic. Input?
Lucy 09:08 PM 03-13-2011
I think it's entirely realistic with the right families. I run my daycare as if I have my nieces and nephews over. It just so happens I'm getting paid to have them here every day. (They're not my nieces & nephews; I'm just using that as an example.) If I need to go to the grocery store, I wait till my school-age kids are at school, and then I load up the 2 & 3 yr olds (of which I only have two or three kids depending on the day), and we go. If I need to do laundry, I do it and sometimes they'll "help" me fold. I'm not saying things are loosey-goosey; we do have rules and expectations, and the ones that need naps do take naps. But I'm flexible, and every day is different. I don't sweat the small stuff. Things are run just as if these were my own kids and we're just doing our thing everyday.
marniewon 10:33 PM 03-13-2011
Yes, I believe it's realistic. I don't do any sort of curriculum, and I am no longer taking children under 12 months. I don't take them here there and everywhere, but mostly that's due to not having enough car seats (and being too cheap to buy more) and not wanting to bundle them up and get them in and out of the van every time.

When you are interviewing, just make sure that the parents know that you will be transporting their children anywhere that you see fit or need to, that way they can decide whether you are a good fit for them or not, before signing the contract. I have a general transportation permission slip that the parents sign at the same time they sign the contract, and every one of them have signed it. Like I said, I don't go anywhere very often, but my parents know that it is a possibility.
morgan24 02:39 AM 03-14-2011
I think it's realistic. I had the parents sign the a slip giving me permission to transport. Don't forget in MI you have to have the child information cards and a first aid kit in your car. I made copies of the cards and put them right in the first aid kit. My licensor did want to check my first aid kit to see if it had everything required in it, but my insurance company did a survey on how I use my cars and when I told them one of them was for my daycare kids, a couple of days later I got a certified letter saying that I was canceled because of the liability. I guess being honest hurt me. I never went anywhere very often but it didn't matter to the insurance company. I ended up signing a notarized paper saying I wouldn't transport any daycare kids anymore. I did check on the extra liability and it was really high, I couldn't afford it. You should make sure your insurance company is okay with it.
nannyde 04:58 AM 03-14-2011
Originally Posted by morgan24:
but my insurance company did a survey on how I use my cars and when I told them one of them was for my daycare kids, a couple of days later I got a certified letter saying that I was canceled because of the liability. I guess being honest hurt me. I never went anywhere very often but it didn't matter to the insurance company. I ended up signing a notarized paper saying I wouldn't transport any daycare kids anymore. I did check on the extra liability and it was really high, I couldn't afford it. You should make sure your insurance company is okay with it.
I don't transport kids. I've never put a daycare kid in my car.

Your expeirence is another example of how parents can't give permission to do the "wrong" thing. Now in your case transporting kids wouldn't be WRONG with their permission but transporting them without the proper vehichle coverage is. The insurance company was saying to you that you have to have a separate policy for it and they make the policy high enough that most of us couldn't afford it. That works for them.

It's important for providers who transport to make sure their insurer and their regulators rules are met. Parent permission is just ONE piece of that puzzle. Other entities have a stake in what is done with the kids and the kids outcome.
R&R 06:20 AM 03-14-2011
I think it's admirable that you're evaluating your program in terms of how realistic it is for your lifestyle. So long as you meet the needs of the children you are charged to care for I think this is a great idea! Is this the age group you work best with? Not all of us click with all ages after all.
morgan24 06:30 AM 03-14-2011
You are right about that Nannyde. That happened when I first started out in 1996. I had the liability for the home but had never thought about it for the car. I never transport kids either. Everyone needs to know that if you do transport without insurance and your in an accident with your daycare kids, your insurance will call it nondisclosure and will not cover any injuries the daycare kids recieve, that's what I was told.

Treehugger83-Check your policy for your own protection.
treehugger82 08:41 AM 03-14-2011
Originally Posted by Joyce:
I think it's entirely realistic with the right families. I run my daycare as if I have my nieces and nephews over. It just so happens I'm getting paid to have them here every day. (They're not my nieces & nephews; I'm just using that as an example.) If I need to go to the grocery store, I wait till my school-age kids are at school, and then I load up the 2 & 3 yr olds (of which I only have two or three kids depending on the day), and we go. If I need to do laundry, I do it and sometimes they'll "help" me fold. I'm not saying things are loosey-goosey; we do have rules and expectations, and the ones that need naps do take naps. But I'm flexible, and every day is different. I don't sweat the small stuff. Things are run just as if these were my own kids and we're just doing our thing everyday.
Exactly what I was thinking! Thank you Not that I don't want to have some structure and routine, we have that with our kids and my niece that I watch now, but I like this way for me and my tribe...just seems more my style.
treehugger82 08:43 AM 03-14-2011
Originally Posted by marniewon:
Yes, I believe it's realistic. I don't do any sort of curriculum, and I am no longer taking children under 12 months. I don't take them here there and everywhere, but mostly that's due to not having enough car seats (and being too cheap to buy more) and not wanting to bundle them up and get them in and out of the van every time. .
I thought about the carseat thing too...guess I just need to know I have it as an option, so I don't totally stress about how I'm going to get my own kids somewhere or if I have to go do something. I like options, lol.
treehugger82 08:47 AM 03-14-2011
Originally Posted by R&R:
I think it's admirable that you're evaluating your program in terms of how realistic it is for your lifestyle. So long as you meet the needs of the children you are charged to care for I think this is a great idea! Is this the age group you work best with? .
Thank you! And yes, I feel like I click well with that age group, but also I feel that it would be a better fit for my household/family dynamic. Lots of reasons, I guess. I will have my sister's baby, so I feel like that will be enough for me. I love babies, but one at a time is good for me.
Tags:contract, curriculum
Reply Up