Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ipdp
Josiegirl 05:02 PM 09-06-2014
Do any of you have to do these? Individual Professional Development Plan
I did my 1st one last fall. Well, it's time to create new projects and plans. I'm at a loss this time around.
I have no ideas right now, as to what I'd like to learn or implement, as far as my daycare goes. Any suggestions? I think I don't even want to think anymore. I just want to sit on the floor and play with toddlers ya know?
Annalee 08:12 PM 09-06-2014
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Do any of you have to do these? Individual Professional Development Plan
I did my 1st one last fall. Well, it's time to create new projects and plans. I'm at a loss this time around.
I have no ideas right now, as to what I'd like to learn or implement, as far as my daycare goes. Any suggestions? I think I don't even want to think anymore. I just want to sit on the floor and play with toddlers ya know?
We have to do professional development plans each year when we re-license......It can be as extensive or simple as we like.....just a paper trail that we are continuing education on a particular subject and how we plan to reach this goal which can be through college classes, workshops, support groups, etc. Some goals I have used are to 'create an environment that reduces behavioral issues', 'develop age-appropriate curriculum', 'develop parent resource center', 'become consistent with contracts/policies', etc. Hope this helps!
Josiegirl 03:40 AM 09-07-2014
Thanks Annalee I just feel so drained right now and not at all 'into this', KWIM?
We have to do 3 plans. Last time one of mine was improving the food choices I offered, offering more vegetarian meals and fish, which was good, it went well. I also offered up more sensory play, researched why sensory play is so important along with different ways to incorporate sensory play, etc. That was great. The other one was moving more towards a natural play ground which turned into kind of a fiasco. It seemed like everything I tried to accomplish fell through.
Follow-thru has never been my strong point and I'm afraid if I choose plans that I can't accomplish, well.... For instance I would LOVE to provide weekly themes and create a curriculum to follow along with them but I can also realistically see myself failing. *sigh*
My mentor comes tomorrow, maybe I can ask (beg) for her help.
Josiegirl 04:40 AM 09-07-2014
I think I've come up with a couple topics. Strong-willed children plus better record-keeping and updating of records.
Now to come up with a 3rd. Hmmm, maybe the affects of food additives on kids' behaviors.
What do you all think?
SignMeUp 08:41 AM 09-07-2014
Could you not specify that it would be weekly themes? I find that my kids usually need to and want to spend more than one week on a topic and you can generalize the topics so that it's clear that more time should be spent.

In preschool, we often start out with topics that expand outward like this:
Myself > My family > My house (work on learning address) > Community workers (police, fire, construction -which can lead into construction vehicles, medical, etc.) > My state > My country > Earth > Solar system

A lot of it is stuff you already do - you just organize your materials more. There can be topics within those topics.
VTMom 11:37 AM 09-07-2014
I think I've come up with a couple topics. Strong-willed children plus better record-keeping and updating of records.
Now to come up with a 3rd. Hmmm, maybe the affects of food additives on kids' behaviors.
What do you all think?
Have you taken the Fundamentals class? It sounds like that may be required in the near future to be registered with the State. Maybe adding that to your plan will kill two birds with one stone.

Another one may be to add/increase your individual observations. That's one I'm adding to mine. Instead of observing when there's problems, I've started to observe each child and jot down the observations in a notebook. It helps to catch things you may not normally notice, check development, and create appropriate activities, etc.
KidGrind 04:27 AM 09-08-2014
Originally Posted by VTMom:
, I've started to observe each child and jot down the observations in a notebook. It helps to catch things you may not normally notice, check development, and create appropriate activities, etc.
Great idea!

I am also doing a simple Alphabet Recognition Project.
Josiegirl 11:33 AM 09-08-2014
I like the observation one, I'm going to go with that one! Thanks VTmom! Also my mentor said because I didn't finish one from last year I can continue on with that one. And either the Fundamentals idea or working towards maintaining my Stars level.

Vtmom, are we still going to need the fundamentals hours if we've been doing daycare for a long time? My mentor said some things will be 'grandfathered' in for providers that have been at it for awhile. The draft is supposed to be available online soon, we were told to comment comment comment about any regs we don't like or do like.
VTMom 05:31 AM 09-09-2014
I like the observation one, I'm going to go with that one! Thanks VTmom! Also my mentor said because I didn't finish one from last year I can continue on with that one. And either the Fundamentals idea or working towards maintaining my Stars level.

Vtmom, are we still going to need the fundamentals hours if we've been doing daycare for a long time? My mentor said some things will be 'grandfathered' in for providers that have been at it for awhile. The draft is supposed to be available online soon, we were told to comment comment comment about any regs we don't like or do like.
I'm not sure about the new regs and requirements. I've just heard rumors here and there (Fundamentals being one of them). I took this class a few years ago. It was useful, and it qualified me to be a level I on Northern Lights which carried a cash incentive. I've recently seen it being offered online. I believe when I took it it was only $25, but I think I've seen it offered now at $50.
Reply Up