Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>I May Have Made A Mistake. Deposit?
AnneCordelia 04:43 AM 02-06-2012
Hello,

I had a family leave a deposit when they signed up last year. I gave them a written reciept for it immediately and then gave them a year end reciept for 2011 including those funds.

I had to terminate them the 2nd week in January and the situation was such that I returned their deposit to them. They are asking for a reciept for services rendered in 2012 and I'm wondering if it's legal and appropriate for me to deduct the amount of their deposit from the monies paid to me in 2012?

Thanks,
Emily
heyhun77 06:06 AM 02-06-2012
If you refunded the deposit then you didn't receive those funds and as such they don't get credit for that money. You would add up the total payments in 2012 and subtract the refund to get their total for 2012.
TomCopeland 09:53 AM 02-06-2012
Heyhun77 is exactly right.

Join me this Thursday evening for my webinar "2011 Family Child Care Tax Update: How to Reduce Your Taxes". I'll cover all the new changes in tax laws (100% bonus depreciation, lower Social Security taxes, higher mileage and food rates, and much more). For details:http://events.r20.constantcontact.co...&llr=yatrx4cab
Tags:receipts, taxes - loss of income
Reply Up