Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Dilemma, Delimma!
Binkybobo 10:03 AM 12-19-2012
On eof my little friends left our daycare last Friday due to her mother being laid off. i knew she would be returning should mom score interviews or a job. This little girl was a handful! I love her to death, but I didn't realize how much she was really making my life a living hell until she left. There are two children here that I didn't even realize had the ability to form complete sentences because she was always running around reaking havoc loudly, and hogging all of my attention. These two little ones have been chatting up a storm all week! My house is clean(er). We are getting so many activities done. We have been goping to nap a little later each day because of the number of activities we have been able to squeeze into a day without me wanting to pull my hair out. I can talk on the phone! I can answer my door! I can do my daughter's hair before school! I have Christmas cookies in the oven as we speak! All I could do during the 4 months that she was here was look around miserably and wonder what I had done to deserve this. Her mom texted me this morning and told me how much she missed being her. I texted back with we should plan a playdate. Mom's response was I hope to find a job by then! SHE'S NOT COMING BACK HERE! I need to let that be known.. the dilemma is not whether or not she is coming back. The dilemma is that I don't want to lie or "be mean". Saying that I am full seems like the best option, but it's not true "I will certainly be adding a 2 week probation period to my handbook. I started to put an ad out to fill the spot, but the truth is life has been so beautifu without her that I want to give myself a break before I start giving people tours of my home, and possibally welcoming another wild child into my home again.
Play Care 10:11 AM 12-19-2012
Maybe I'm mean, but I wouldn't have agreed to hold her spot (for free?) while mom is laid off. I can't afford to take a pay cut. I would probably tell mom that while you loved caring for Susie, you did not realize the financial hardship not having the spot filled would create for your family, and you can no longer guarentee the spot when she finds employment. If she does call back later on looking for the spot you can then say you filled it (even if you didn't) as she would have had the heads up that you were doing this.
Good Luck!
MamaG 10:25 AM 12-19-2012
I had a kid like that, I terminated about 2-3 months in for some policy infraction. Thank goodness. I would just tell her in a couple days 'hey I just signed on another kid so I'm full now.' Then she can begin looking elsewhere.
countrymom 10:33 AM 12-19-2012
tell her that your full. I termed one too (acually they beat me to the punch) but I couldn't believe what a big difference it made. I felt that I was constantly yelling and sending to the time out corner. Its been several months and I can't believe what a big difference it has made.
slpender 10:47 AM 12-19-2012
you could always tell mom that you have decided to down size. I have a child just like this I am trying to decide what to do about here. I would enjoy your stress free days.
itlw8 11:13 AM 12-19-2012
You either tell the truth and say. Our days run so much smoother I will not be holding an opening for you any longer. You need to locate new childcare while you are looking for work

or you say. I no longer have an opening available for your child . Best of luck.
Binkybobo 11:21 AM 12-19-2012
You guys are not going to believe this. My sister just called me and told me that sh eis starting school on January 7,and wants me to watch her 2 girls. The state pays for her daycare. I usually would'nt accept state funded, but she is my sister. I have a listed daycare that limits the amount of unrelated kids I can have to 3, but I can have up to 12 related children. I will still have a spot open for one unrelated child, but no one needs to know that(escept for the families on craigslist). I am not a religous person,but when things like this happen, I wonder if someone may be looking out for me! Maybe it is simply the law of attraction.
My answer: "My sister has asked me to watch her kids, so that she can return to school. I'm full!" woooohoo!
Blackcat31 12:16 PM 12-19-2012
Originally Posted by Binkybobo:
You guys are not going to believe this. My sister just called me and told me that sh eis starting school on January 7,and wants me to watch her 2 girls. The state pays for her daycare. I usually would'nt accept state funded, but she is my sister. I have a listed daycare that limits the amount of unrelated kids I can have to 3, but I can have up to 12 related children. I will still have a spot open for one unrelated child, but no one needs to know that(escept for the families on craigslist). I am not a religous person,but when things like this happen, I wonder if someone may be looking out for me! Maybe it is simply the law of attraction.
My answer: "My sister has asked me to watch her kids, so that she can return to school. I'm full!" woooohoo!
Glad things worked out.

Somehow the world of daycare seems to have a mind all it's own and things do work out in the end.
Binkybobo 12:27 PM 12-19-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Glad things worked out.

Somehow the world of daycare seems to have a mind all it's own and things do work out in the end.
Thanks, but she just texted me again asking me to watch her while she goes to an interview in the morning. Also asked if she could pay me at pickup. Seems that saying no I'm full will not be as easy as I thought afterall..... Is there an emoticon on here that is weeping? I'd like to use that one if I may...
Blackcat31 12:32 PM 12-19-2012
Thanks, but she just texted me again asking me to watch her while she goes to an interview in the morning. Also asked if she could pay me at pickup. Seems that saying no I'm full will not be as easy as I thought afterall..... Is there an emoticon on here that is weeping? I'd like to use that one if I may...
Take her while she interviews and use pick up time as an opportunity to let her know that while she waits to see if she gets the job, she will need to be looking for daycare too as you received a call this morning filling your open space.

I would say that money got tight and waiting and hoping for her to get a job doesn't pay the bills.

Here is a crying emoticon for you:

I still think you can get out of this though.....
Binkybobo 12:39 PM 12-19-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Take her while she interviews and use pick up time as an opportunity to let her know that while she waits to see if she gets the job, she will need to be looking for daycare too as you received a call this morning filling your open space.

I would say that money got tight and waiting and hoping for her to get a job doesn't pay the bills.

Here is a crying emoticon for you:

I still think you can get out of this though.....
HAHA! Thanks for the emoticon! This made me laugh. She is sending me on an emotional roller coaster! I'm happy! I'm stressed. I'm excited! I'm relieved. Now I'm crying again, and tomorrow I'll be emotionally eating anything sugary or fried AGAIN! Thanks for the advice. I'll help her out, but give her heads up before she finds another interview.
Binkybobo 12:40 PM 12-19-2012
HAHA! Thanks for the emoticon! This made me laugh. She is sending me on an emotional roller coaster! I'm happy! I'm stressed. I'm excited! I'm relieved. Now I'm crying again, and tomorrow I'll be emotionally eating anything sugary or fried AGAIN! Thanks for the advice. I'll help her out, but give her heads up before she finds another interview.
I mean another daycare provider before she gets another interview.
cheerfuldom 01:02 PM 12-19-2012
This is the perfect excuse. Of course you would take your nieces especially when the funds are guaranteed and it is two kids.....very convenient! glad it worked out.
Reply Up