Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Beginning Spanish Curriculum
sunlight 09:04 AM 09-08-2014
Good morning! I am thinking about adding beginning Spanish to my current curriculum. I think it would be fun! I do speak Spanish but want to find a supplemental monthly pack I can just order and use. Does anyone do this? Any ideas on where to find a curriculum like this?

Thank you in advance!!
Shell 09:26 AM 09-08-2014
I'm thinking it would depend on the ages of the kids, and how fluent you want them to become. As a pre-k/k teacher, I used to teach the Spanish words during circle time (colors, #'s, days of the week). We also used to translate our hello/goodbye songs, and expressions like: time for lunch, snack, etc. We also sang familiar songs in English and Spanish (heads, shoulders, etc). Sorry if that doesn't help as far as buying a specific program, but my method was more immersive- just added into our everyday routine. Being that you already speak Spanish, I would think you could start there (assuming you haven't already).
Blackcat31 09:29 AM 09-08-2014
Maybe try these

http://www.spanishforpreschoolers.com/

http://www.trampolinelearning.com/ex...m-program.html

HTH
midaycare 09:44 AM 09-08-2014
I have a Spanish teacher come in and play with the kids. She only talks and plays with them in Spanish. I have all 2's and under. They love it! If you speak Spanish, I would imagine you can do the same thing.
sunlight 11:53 AM 09-08-2014
Thanks everyone for your ideas! Blackcat I checked into both of those websites. Great ideas!
nothingwithoutjoy 05:23 PM 09-08-2014
My daughter and I took Spanish classes at our library with a wonderful woman (technically, my daughter was taking the class and I was there with her, but since I don't speak Spanish, it was like a 2-for-1 deal!). The classes were so great. Now this year, that teacher is coming to us and we're taking the class as a group. What's so wonderful in her approach is that it's like a great circle time: mostly songs and actions (dance, fingerplays), plus a few felt stories (which she does so well with a set for each child to manipulate), plus a book now and then. She only speaks Spanish, but is very expressive, which combined with all her visual aids (puppets, charts, etc) really helps. But the best thing is the songs. Each 10-week session has a group of songs clustered around a few themes (clothing words, weather, colors, etc) so you repeat, repeat, repeat in different songs. And because they're songs, they stick in your head. More so because she sends every kid home with a CD for practice. I keep wondering why we didn't learn through music back in high school--it makes a huge difference!
Reply Up