Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Wake Them Up From Nap??
SunflowerMama 04:16 PM 04-06-2010
All my dck (including my own 2) slept from 1pm to after 4pm (one until 4:45 when her mom came). I have always just let a sleeping baby sleep but what about everyone else? One of the moms seemed a little upset that she was still sleeping and asked me next time to wake her when everyone else gets up. I just think if they are sleeping they need the rest .
Unregistered 04:21 PM 04-06-2010
You should wake them with the others. That mother is probably wondering why their child is awake later at night.
originalkat 04:22 PM 04-06-2010
I agree with you. I will let my little ones sleep until they wake up. But I have found a lot of daycare parents don't really like that idea too much. I wake the kids by 3:45 if they are still sleeping because my first parent arrives at 4:15. This gives time to eat snack and potty etc...
tenderhearts 04:25 PM 04-06-2010
I usually let them sleep. Usually if they aren't awake by 3:45 I go in and start to put the beds away and they kind of start stirring and finally get up, most of my parents tell me to let them sleep if they are sleeping which is really nice
nannyde 04:56 PM 04-06-2010
All the kids nap from around noon till around three. I don't have them sleeping past three because that schedule seems to work with parents bedtime time. Too much later than that and you will have parents complaining their kid won't go to bed at night.

I do not allow parents to request their children to be up during nap for any reason. If they want them up before three then they have to find another day care. I don't do one to one care at nap time unless the parent is willing to pay an additional ten dollars per hour for whatever portion of nap they want their kid up which would pay for the one to one care and done by my staff assistant. Never had a taker on that.

As soon as you say they can have them up at nap but there is a fee.. they are perfectly fine with your schedule.

Nan
Former Teacher 05:33 PM 04-06-2010
Since we are both from TX...I know from a centers point of view..children can not sleep longer than 3 hours except infants. It might be different in home settings but it is 3 hours in centers.
SunflowerMama 05:47 PM 04-06-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
You should wake them with the others. That mother is probably wondering why their infant is awake later at night.
She is almost 4 years old though so I think her going down at night is more an issue of consistency. But I will definitely do as her mom wishes. They usually don't rest that long but it's only her 2nd day so it might be the excitement of everything being so new. I will make sure everyone is awake by 4 if they are not already.

When do others usually have the dck down? Is 1 too late?? I have just stuck with my girls' schedule and it's been 1 for a while so I just went with that.
emosks 06:27 PM 04-06-2010
Our kids go down for naps at 1:00. One goes down at 1:30 per the parents request. We wake them by 3:30 if they are not already awake for snack and afternoon schedule to stay on track. The one that goes down later is up at 3:30 as well.

If a parent wanted their kid to sleep longer I would do it...as if they wanted them up by a certain time too.
gkids09 07:39 PM 04-06-2010
My dck lay down between 1 and 1:30, and wake up between 3 and 4. If there are any sleeping past four, I usually try to wake them up.
Unregistered 07:44 PM 04-06-2010
My kids go down from 12 to 2:30. At 2:30 I have to pick kids up from school.
momma2girls 07:45 PM 04-06-2010
My daycare children go down between 12:30 and 1:00 and I wake them up at 3:30, all children, that way pretty much everyone inc. smaller ones, can have a snack and drink, diapers changed, etc. before parents start arriving sometimes at 4:00. I hate waking them up as well, but I do this for now anyways. The older ones have the tv on for 1/2 hr. before they go to sleep. The smaller ones go down between 12:30 and 1:00.
AmandasFCC 09:24 PM 04-06-2010
My daycare kids go down at about 12:45pm for their naps and usually wake up shortly before 3. For the most part I won't wake them up but if it starts getting too long after 3:30 I start making noise.
safechner 09:41 PM 04-06-2010
They are taking a nap time from 12:30pm to 2:30pm or 3:00pm but one of my dcg go to sleep around 1:30 to 2:00 if it is on TV. Another one almost never take a nap but she stays quiet lay down on the couch when tv is on. I decided I no longer turn TV on for nap time so one of dcg finally go to sleep between 12:45 to 1:00 but another one still don't take a nap at all whether tv is on or not. I also watch an 8 month old dcg but it was so hard to stay routine for her to go sleep. She only sleep about 15 mins to 2 hours in here. Her mother told me that she went to sleep after she pick her up (6:30pm) from my daycare for an hour then wake her up for a little while. After that, she went back to sleep at 8:30pm.
TGT09 04:34 AM 04-07-2010
My nap time is only for 2 hours from 1:15-3:15. If the kids have been super active that day or not feeling good, I will let sleep until 3:30. I don't necessarily wake them up but I stop being quiet, open curtains, and turn lights on.
jen 07:24 AM 04-07-2010
I wake them up...I want to make sure that they are fed and changed and ready to go when Mom or Dad gets here...
newtoeverything 07:55 AM 04-07-2010
I ask the parents preference. They have to be with them in the evenings...
Carole's Daycare 10:58 AM 04-07-2010
My kids lay down shortly after lunch- so 12:30 - and I wake them up by 2:30 except babies. Occasionally til 2:45. Once one wakes up naturally the rest usually follow anyway- and my school agers arrive @2:55- and I want my littlest ones to have a chance to get to the potty first- rather than be awoken by school agers etc going to the bathroom, then having to hold it. This way they get enough rest for the last couple hours of our day to go well- I get a 2 hr break for lunch, bathroom, paperwork, internet , but we have plenty of time for afternoon activities and they are plenty tired at bedtime for parents.
momofsix 08:24 AM 04-08-2010
Quiet time starts at 1:00, but kids actually fall asleep anytime between then and 1:30. They usually sleep until they wake up on their own, unless they go past 4, then I'll wake them up. Some of my kids go to bed very late, (the parents let them decide kind of thing) and others have a reasonable bedtime and seem to do fine with our nap schedule. There have been years where i've had to do school pick up and leave the house at 3, and it reallly messed up our days to have to wake everyone up early. So glad I don't have to do that this year!
kdparadise 12:01 PM 04-13-2010
What do you do with an infants? Are they on the same nap schedule, with an additional morning nap offered? What do you do with an infant that won't nap more than an 45min to 1hour during nap time?
DBug 10:15 AM 04-15-2010
I have a 9-month-old -- he sleeps for an hour in the morning (same as the other morning nappers) and then I put him down again at the same pm nap time as everyone else. If he wakes up, I'll rock him for 10 minutes or so, and then lay him back down. He'll sleep after that until I wake him along with all the other kids. He's an easy baby, though, and he picked up the routine pretty quickly ...

I do try to keep everyone on the same schedule. It's just so much easier to my way of thinking.
Tags:sleep - length, sleeping - too long, waking
Reply Up