Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When do We Get a Lunch Break?
kpa0627 01:36 PM 04-10-2010
Does anyone out there hire someone to come in for just a couple hours mid-day so you can get out of the house and have a lunch break? I'm contemplating hiring someone to come in after lunch from 12:30-2:30 so I can just get out for a couple hours each day. I think it'll help to have some time to myself. Minimum wage is 7.75 here I believe.... what should I pay someone? They would be there during rest time... I would have diapers done and children laid down and they dont get up until 2-2:30ish?
SunflowerMama 01:41 PM 04-10-2010
Originally Posted by kpa0627:
Does anyone out there hire someone to come in for just a couple hours mid-day so you can get out of the house and have a lunch break? I'm contemplating hiring someone to come in after lunch from 12:30-2:30 so I can just get out for a couple hours each day. I think it'll help to have some time to myself. Minimum wage is 7.75 here I believe.... what should I pay someone? They would be there during rest time... I would have diapers done and children laid down and they dont get up until 2-2:30ish?
Once the kids go down is when I take a little lunch break. They go down between 12:30 and 1 and I'll use that time to eat a little, clean, get things ready for the afternoon and take some internet time. I usually grab something to eat and sit with the kids at their lunch time but have rest time if I'm still hungry.
ohana1 02:11 PM 04-10-2010
Same here.... when the kids nap, is my lunch time...Hiring someone just for that is not worth it,, but that is just me....
Crystal 07:50 PM 04-10-2010
Yep, nap time.
originalkat 07:52 PM 04-10-2010
I take my break during naptime as well. My husband is home a few days a week because of his schedule so sometimes I run to the bank or grab something to eat out on those days. I would not hire someone to come during nap personally because that is the only time my house is quiet. I want to enjoy it!

But keep in mind, for tax purposes you probably will not want to hire an employee (which is what that would be considered by the IRS even though it is only a few hours). You have to start paying a lot of extra taxes and stuff and would be a real pain. I wont go into details but I have done a lot of reading on this topic. If you do want to have someone come in, try to see if their is a sub agency for home daycares in your area. We have a few and then you dont have to worry about all the tax stuff. But around here I think it is $11 an hour with a 2 hour min.
Chickenhauler 01:48 AM 04-11-2010
OK, this sounds like a great idea, but who are you going to get to come in for only two hours per day, which translates to $15.50 that you'd feel comfortable and safe leaving in charge of children and loose in your home?

Maybe I've gotten jaded in my 'old age', but if I won't even get out of bed for $15 anymore, much less drive somewhere and do something for two hours.
Unregistered 02:10 PM 04-11-2010
Originally Posted by Chickenhauler:
OK, this sounds like a great idea, but who are you going to get to come in for only two hours per day, which translates to $15.50 that you'd feel comfortable and safe leaving in charge of children and loose in your home?

Maybe I've gotten jaded in my 'old age', but if I won't even get out of bed for $15 anymore, much less drive somewhere and do something for two hours.
But $15.50 for 2 hours every day translates to 10 hours/wk which is $75.75 each week. I'm sure a lot of people, especially college students would jump at the chance. They can only work a few hours a week because of school and since they'd be there at nap time they could do some studying while the children sleep, if you didn't mind them doing that (or you could let them know what needs cleaned (daycare related) during that time. Older women would probably also like just a few hours/week (to give them something to do, supplement their retirement income, etc). Working during naptime would be perfect for them since it wouldn't be as physical is the other parts of the day are.
I agree with another poster, though, about the taxes stuff. You'd have to decide first if it's worth the extra trouble. I know some employers choose to have the employee keep out their own taxes and they (the employee) just have to pay out at Tax time. Doing it like that helps with some of the hassle of taxes and paychecks, I'm sure.
And to answer the question of how much you should pay them, I would definitly not pay anything over the minimum wage, since it's during the easiest part of the day when the children are sleeping. Plus most daycares only pay minimum wage even for someone actually working with the kids the whole time they're there.
As for someone being in your home while you're not, maybe you could have an adjustment period where you're both there, but once in a while go in another room so they think they're not being watched. Or do the first few times during a school break when one of your school-agers or older children would be at home and could let you know if anything seemed "off" about the employee. Or, more simply, hire someone that you already know is dependable and trustworthy (without kids of their own that would count in your maximum number of children allowed, of course!).
kpa0627 05:05 PM 04-13-2010
I live in a very big college town so I think there will be many college students who would be willing to come in for two hours a day when they have a break from class or don't have class that day, etc. I mean 7.75 is the least amount I'd pay which would be 77.50 minimum a week so I think it'd be worth it for extra cash. All I would need is for them to pass a background check and get a TB test which the background check is free and I could pay their copay for the shot. SO, I'm seriously thinking I will put an ad out because it wouldn't be costing me an arm and a leg and it will get me out for 2 hours which will really break down my day and then I can go to a doctors appointment if needed without such a headache of closing early or finding a sub, etc.
Chickenhauler 03:36 AM 04-14-2010
I live in a very big college town so I think there will be many college students who would be willing to come in for two hours a day when they have a break from class or don't have class that day, etc. I mean 7.75 is the least amount I'd pay which would be 77.50 minimum a week so I think it'd be worth it for extra cash. All I would need is for them to pass a background check and get a TB test which the background check is free and I could pay their copay for the shot. SO, I'm seriously thinking I will put an ad out because it wouldn't be costing me an arm and a leg and it will get me out for 2 hours which will really break down my day and then I can go to a doctors appointment if needed without such a headache of closing early or finding a sub, etc.
No CPR certs needed?
emosks 05:30 AM 04-14-2010
In Michigan any assistant will need to have CPR/FA/BBP training, 6 hours of certification/training, TB testing, medical forms, certification from the state that there is no involvement in sexual abuse/child abuse/child neglect. I think it would be a PITA for me to go through all of this just for a lunch break each day. But that's just me!
kpa0627 05:35 AM 04-14-2010
No, all that's needed is a clean background check.. which is one paper I fill out and send in (free). She also needs a wellness check and tb test (I will be paying her co pay to the Doctor... $20). And I gotta do some checking because I think she needs either First Aid or CPR but I know it's not both... so that would be $35 that I would pay for her to get certified and then that's it... I could use her for lunch breaks, appointments, extra helper, etc.
Tags:lunch break, part time help
Reply Up