Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Two Issues
MsKara 11:29 AM 04-13-2010
I'm new here. I wanted advice on how to confront parents with two issues. One of my children in care is new and her mom brought a pack n play that reeks of smoke. It was so bad it smelled the whole room up. What should I say, and how should I go about this without offending them? Also, one of my kids who is 4 yrs old is bored to tears because all the other kids in my care are 2 or under. The mom insists on having him in a home daycare instead of preschool and i'm not sure why. I do puzzles, and crafts, and learning time with him, but I can only do so much before I start neglecting the bulk of my age group. Also, the 4 year olds mother sends him with shoes that have laces and he can't get them on or off without help. I offered to give him a pair of old shoes my son had outgrown with velcro and she got upset with me. I guess I shouldn't have done that?
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 11:55 AM 04-13-2010
If she leaves the pack and play with you then clean it,.. if she transports it back and forth I would buy my own.
Be honest,.... it will be hard at first, but the mom will appreciate it,.. Just tell her that the pack and play has a slight smokey odor to it and it makes one of your others sneeze,.. or if your uncomfortable doing that,...comment in normal conversation that one of the parents noticed a smoke smell and asked you if you started smoking around the kids,... ask if she ever noticed a smell. then pretend to track down the odor? She may say,.. oh you know what I had it stored in the garage and my husbands friends go out there to smoke,... or just come out and say,.. Im sorry Im a smoker,... and then offer to clean it for her. ? as far as being bored,... make them the teacher for the littles. We (I dont let) arent allowed to use the word bored here,.. or I give the bored one something to do. =-)
Crystal 12:30 PM 04-13-2010
I would be bluntly honest with the Mom....the pack and play smells of smoke and you prefer not to use it. BUT, if you do that you will need to supply one for the child. I would not mince words. That is gross.
originalkat 12:36 PM 04-13-2010
Why tell her anything? I would just buy one to keep there at daycare and send the other one home saying that you decided to purchase some to keep at daycare. Done.

My oldest daughter (5) is 2 years older than all the other kids. She just plays along with them and I give her special activities to do at the table that the younger ones cant do. Choose special hands-on things that dont take your direct supervision. Possibly have a special box of toys that are just for him. Also involve him in being the helper if he is interested.

As for the shoes-- I would not have offered your sons old shoes probably. But it isnt a big deal. If it is that important to you, I would just request shoes be worn that he can put on and take off with little or no assistance. I have that in my policy handbook and for the most part people comply. My young 3 year olds can all do their own shoes and socks.
MN Mom 05:50 AM 04-14-2010
You can try setting the pack 'n play out in the sunshine for an afternoon, take the matress / liner out and air it out seperately. My mother gave me her couch when she got a new one, and my parents are indoor smokers. The thing REEKED. I did some research, and airing it out in the sunshine did the trick. I had to air it out for 3 days, but for something as small as a pack 'n play, a day should do the trick. **It has to be in the sunshine though, cloud cover won't do. It has something to do with the natural bleaching effect of the sun that helps neutralize smoke odors.
Tags:cigarette smoke, pack n play, smell
Reply Up