Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>School Age During Breaks
allsmiles 07:00 AM 12-21-2012
ive already dug my hole, but for future reference..

how do you handle irregular schedules for school age.. such as when they are out for school breaks or early release..

i was just adding $10 to the before/after fee which is half of my drop in rate. that was cool for one day a week BUT i think i need a different plan for long weeks

do your SA pay the same rate as summer during week long breaks? If they dont come do you require they pay like a full time child to hold the spot? or just charge them the before/after fee to hold the spot?? ughhh this really isnt complicated i know, but i cant get it straight how i should be doing it.
Blackcat31 07:07 AM 12-21-2012
We are really lucky here as SA kids don't take the spaces of other kids in care so if we have space for SA'ers, it is there for them.

I no longer take SA kids but when I did, I charged them a similar but slightly higher daily rate as I charged the regular kids. My reasons for this was that SA kids actually require more attention and supervision than regular every day attending kids and the income was not at all steady due to school.

During vacation or extended breaks such as summer time, they paid the same rates I charged during no school days.

I think my rate sheet looked like this:

Infants = flat weekly rate $165
2 yrs to Kindy = $28 per day
SA kids = $30 per day (No school days and summer break)
After School = $60 flat rate
allsmiles 07:25 AM 12-21-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
We are really lucky here as SA kids don't take the spaces of other kids in care so if we have space for SA'ers, it is there for them.

I no longer take SA kids but when I did, I charged them a similar but slightly higher daily rate as I charged the regular kids. My reasons for this was that SA kids actually require more attention and supervision than regular every day attending kids and the income was not at all steady due to school.

During vacation or extended breaks such as summer time, they paid the same rates I charged during no school days.

I think my rate sheet looked like this:

Infants = flat weekly rate $165
2 yrs to Kindy = $28 per day
SA kids = $30 per day (No school days and summer break)
After School = $60 flat rate
thanks.. here, they dont take one of our spots either.. its AWESOME
but here is my dilemma..

using your rate for instance.. so you have a SA that pays for afterschool but will be out one day during the week. were you charging $60 PLUS $30?

my problem is i was offsetting the daily rate when they only needed one full day BUT i didnt let the parent know (thank God i only have one) that a whole week would not be the same rate as 1 or 2 days out of the regular school week..
and also she is only coming a few days..i guess because she is SA and they dont count toward the ratio, I should just let her pay like a drop in .. i just felt funny telling the younger kids they had to pay for the position when they are gonna miss days, but SA can pay for days they are here.. i know its my business, my rules, but if i saw how most ppl do it, then maybe i can better understand how i will do it and why..
Blackcat31 07:43 AM 12-21-2012
Originally Posted by ladyquana:
thanks.. here, they dont take one of our spots either.. its AWESOME
but here is my dilemma..

using your rate for instance.. so you have a SA that pays for afterschool but will be out one day during the week. were you charging $60 PLUS $30?

my problem is i was offsetting the daily rate when they only needed one full day BUT i didnt let the parent know (thank God i only have one) that a whole week would not be the same rate as 1 or 2 days out of the regular school week..
and also she is only coming a few days..i guess because she is SA and they dont count toward the ratio, I should just let her pay like a drop in .. i just felt funny telling the younger kids they had to pay for the position when they are gonna miss days, but SA can pay for days they are here.. i know its my business, my rules, but if i saw how most ppl do it, then maybe i can better understand how i will do it and why..
Yes, I would have charged the flat weekly rate of $60 PLUS the daily rate because the whole point of a flat rate is paying no matter how much time they use the space or don't use it...kwim?

The extra day of work would still be billed at the regular daily rate for SA'ers then at $30. So for a full week (4 days after school and a full day on Friday) their rate would be $90.

I know that seems like a lot sometimes but honestly the variation in schedules, the here one day and then not agian until next no school day, the irregularity of being here after school some days and not others all plays into the rate......COMPLEX scheduling = more pay or it simply is not worth it to me.

Oh, and the feeling bad or guilty part.....Totally NOT allowed in child care!!!!
daycarediva 07:55 AM 12-21-2012
Oh, and the feeling bad or guilty part.....Totally NOT allowed in child care!!!!
^ that!

I charge my SA kids $75 flat rate for before and after school care. If there is an additional day off of school during that week, it is an additional $30 (my SA daily rate). If they don't attend that day, they only pay the $75.

In summer, or weeks off from school they get a 'break' with a flat rate of $150. I don't care if they come 1 or all 5 days, same price.

HTH!
allsmiles 07:57 AM 12-21-2012
Yes, I would have charged the flat weekly rate of $60 PLUS the daily rate because the whole point of a flat rate is paying no matter how much time they use the space or don't use it...kwim?

The extra day of work would still be billed at the regular daily rate for SA'ers then at $30. So for a full week (4 days after school and a full day on Friday) their rate would be $90.

I know that seems like a lot sometimes but honestly the variation in schedules, the here one day and then not agian until next no school day, the irregularity of being here after school some days and not others all plays into the rate......COMPLEX scheduling = more pay or it simply is not worth it to me.

haha!! okay i will work on that..
that was my thing. i was like WOW they are paying the same as a toddler that is here and eats everyday and they only ate one day so i will lower it.. but you are right.. its just too much to think of all the different scenarios and have a rate for each!
the rates should be the rates, no if and and buts about it..
i saw that some dcp's charge a slightly higher rate for before and after school and the parent doesnt pay anything extra for school out days..might think about that too..
thanks alot!!!
allsmiles 08:00 AM 12-21-2012
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
^ that!

I charge my SA kids $75 flat rate for before and after school care. If there is an additional day off of school during that week, it is an additional $30 (my SA daily rate). If they don't attend that day, they only pay the $75.

In summer, or weeks off from school they get a 'break' with a flat rate of $150. I don't care if they come 1 or all 5 days, same price.

HTH!
cool beans! is your SA daily rate lower than your regular child daily rate?
Springdaze 08:06 AM 12-21-2012
I wish we could have SA not count! It would be so much easier! I could make good money during breaks! Not that they arent their own kind of pain, but when they are siblings of kids I have, it would be nice to be able to take them!
daycarediva 09:03 AM 12-21-2012
Originally Posted by ladyquana:
cool beans! is your SA daily rate lower than your regular child daily rate?
Yes, it is $5 lower, but is being raised next year to the same rate (35$ full day or $175/week and $100/week for before and after care).
familyschoolcare 03:45 PM 12-21-2012
During week long school breaks I charge 200 a week same as summer school week is 100 I do not charge extra for inservice days. However I only do school age.
familyschoolcare 03:52 PM 12-21-2012
Forgot to add that every one pays their weekly rate regardless of attendance the school year rate is considered the normal payment if someone wants to stay home for a week only the normal payment is due even if it is Christmas break. Next week 4 children will be out but still charging them the normal payment.
jen2651 12:13 PM 12-26-2012
I charge my afterschool amount (varies depending on their schedule - K is only half a day here) and any additional time (holidays, no school days etc) are an additional $15 per day with a cap of $125 (my preschool rate). So, I have a b/a K who pays 100/week. During MEA his bill would have been 130 but he had reached my cap of 125....I like it this way because like BC said, then I get paid more for my extra work! And his b/a spot is still reserved!
Meeko 04:06 PM 12-26-2012
I only have 2 KG kids right now, but have had kids as old as 13 in the past. School age costs the same as any other slot.
mom2many 10:03 AM 12-27-2012
I have several S/A & they pay $30/day whether they are in school or not. My rate for infant & preschool is $40/day. I do have to count them in my licensing capacity & can watch a total of 8 kids.
allsmiles 10:14 AM 12-27-2012
Originally Posted by jen2651:
I charge my afterschool amount (varies depending on their schedule - K is only half a day here) and any additional time (holidays, no school days etc) are an additional $15 per day with a cap of $125 (my preschool rate). So, I have a b/a K who pays 100/week. During MEA his bill would have been 130 but he had reached my cap of 125....I like it this way because like BC said, then I get paid more for my extra work! And his b/a spot is still reserved!
nice idea
thanks
itlw8 10:24 AM 12-27-2012
my school age pay their SA rate to hold the spot . I may or may not have room on a vacation to fit them in . So if they book it they will pay for it because I told someone else it is full.
They pay the drop in rate minus the SA rateif they do come.
Summer they pay the weekly preschool rate . Though I encourage them to find other arrangements. If they want the SA spot in the fall they better put a deposit down or I may fill it for the fall.
Reply Up