Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cleaning Bottles & Buying Formula
Christina72684 05:06 AM 06-09-2011
I'm still in the process of opening, but I know so far I'll have my daughter, 3 months, and another girl, 6 months. In August I'll get another baby. I breastfeed so I'm not familiar with bottles and the whole process. Do you clean them as soon as you're done using them, or at the end of the day? What's the best, easiest way to clean them? Do you ask parents to supply their own bottles, or do you have a supply that all babies use? Is it safe to let different babies use the same bottles?

I've never bought formula before and I know there are several options. I've received samples of Simulac in the mail and they've been the powder kind. I know there is also the pre-mixed liquid Enfamil as well. What do you use? Do you ask parents to supply this or just have your own? Does either need refrigerated? If you make a bottle ahead of time, how long is it good for?

Sorry for the numerous questions
Meeko 05:12 AM 06-09-2011
Originally Posted by Christina72684:
I'm still in the process of opening, but I know so far I'll have my daughter, 3 months, and another girl, 6 months. In August I'll get another baby. I breastfeed so I'm not familiar with bottles and the whole process. Do you clean them as soon as you're done using them, or at the end of the day? What's the best, easiest way to clean them? Do you ask parents to supply their own bottles, or do you have a supply that all babies use? Is it safe to let different babies use the same bottles?

I've never bought formula before and I know there are several options. I've received samples of Simulac in the mail and they've been the powder kind. I know there is also the pre-mixed liquid Enfamil as well. What do you use? Do you ask parents to supply this or just have your own? Does either need refrigerated? If you make a bottle ahead of time, how long is it good for?

I provide the bottles. I got tired of parents forgetting them in the mornings! I provide the formula (food program pays me back) I buy the Walmart brand or Sams Club brand. I wash the bottles as soon as I can after use. I do not have one bottle per baby. They are washed and sanitized and fine to use with all the babies.
cheerfuldom 05:19 AM 06-09-2011
I have parents bring enough formula and bottles for each day. I don't wash, just send them home dirty for parents to wash. I don't have a problem with parents forgetting but I do check all the bags first thing in the morning and call the parents if they forgot something. It a big pain to come back with one item so most parents learn to check the bag themselves.
wdmmom 05:19 AM 06-09-2011
All of your questions about preparation and refrigeration can be answered by reading the label of the formula container. Next time you are at the grocery, take a look.

As for washing bottles, here's a question for you...

Do you eat off the same plate for lunch that you ate off of for breakfast without washing it? There's your answer to cleaning the bottles.

I have parents supply it because there are way too many kinds on the market.

Have the parents either bring you a can of powder formula and a couple bottles to leave at your house or have them bring you already prepared bottles for the day.

I don't mean to be so harsh but these are fundamental questions you should know the answer to before providing care!!!
MyAngels 05:51 AM 06-09-2011

I have each parent supply their own bottles and wash them as soon after using them as I can. I prefer to hand wash and dry them, but you can put them in the dishwasher as well.

If you are on the food program you must offer to supply formula and the parent chooses whether they will accept the type you provide. I list the cheapest brand available (usually the wal-mart store brand). The parents have always opted to buy their own. They always choose the powder as it's the cheapest option.

Once the formula is prepared, it must be refrigerated if not used right away. I always prepare bottles only as I need them, so I don't know for sure how long the bottle is good to use once it's out of the refrigerator.
Cat Herder 07:28 AM 06-09-2011
I supply bottles, parents supply formula/breastmilk daily/weekly/monthly.

I just posted a picture of my bottle setup on the other thread if you want to take a peak.
sharlan 09:55 AM 06-09-2011
I've always had the parents provide me with 5 - 6 bottles to be left at my house. I also have them provide the same formula that they use at home. I made up enough formula for the day, first thing in the morning so the bottles were ready to go. If there was a bottle left over, I would send it home with parent to be used that night at home.

I always made my formula up in advance because I felt there was less spitting up than when I made 1 bottle at a time.
SandeeAR 11:54 AM 06-09-2011
This is in my contract for babies:

The following items MUST be brought prior to the first day of care & be replenished as needed:

1. Change of clothing, including socks (appropriate for the season)
2. Babies: A large bag of diapers in the appropriate size.
3. If potty training: A large bag of pull ups or several training pants and plastic pants.
4. 2 bottles, up to 1 year. At 12 to 18 months at the latest, I will begin using sippy cups full time.
5. If on baby food, enough food for a week please.
6. A can of formula. If breast feeding, please bring an extra day’s supply for my freezer as back up.
7. 2 pacifiers. After about 6-8 months, I only use these at nap time. Usually by 1 year, they don’t even have it at nap.

Just a tip on the personal side regarding YOUR baby. From experience as a new breastfeeding mom 29 years ago. Give your baby one bottle a day, it can be pumped breast milk, formula or water. (You may have to have your DH give it at night) I didn't give mine one. I became her pacifer. But worst of all, when I got the flu and she was 9 months old, I couldn't feed her. (We didn't pump and store back then)

It was 18 hours before she was willing to take a bottle of formula and another 8 hours before she did it again. Instant weening at 9 mos, just about killed us both. My second baby got a bottle daily from day one!
Michelle 12:02 PM 06-09-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
I provide the bottles. I got tired of parents forgetting them in the mornings! I provide the formula (food program pays me back) I buy the Walmart brand or Sams Club brand. I wash the bottles as soon as I can after use. I do not have one bottle per baby. They are washed and sanitized and fine to use with all the babies.
Babies sharing bottles is NOT sanitary.
All my babies get their own bottles, they are too young and their immune system is not built up yet. I cringe at the thought of babies sharing bottles even though they are cleaned and sanitized.
nannyde 12:18 PM 06-09-2011
Originally Posted by Michelle:
All my babies get their own bottles, they are too young and their immune system is not built up yet. I cringe at the thought of babies sharing bottles even though they are cleaned and sanitized.
If I have multiple babies on the same bottle I don't keep them separate. I have NEVER had a problem with using the same bottles on mulitple babies. I run everything through the dishwasher and heat dry cycle after use.

I've had as many as three babies on Advent bottles and same size nipple at one time and all of them on breast milk. It was SO much work keeping them all separate and making sure that they all got the right milk. The last thing I worried about was a perfectly clean bottle being used by a baby that didn't use it the day before.

They are either clean or they are not. If you run them through a dishwasher and they are cleaned at high heat, stored properly, and the milk is made properly it doesn't matter if the bottle/nipple/ring was used by another baby before the cleaning.

I could never keep up with keeping identical baby bottles on mulitple babies separate. With the bottle, ring, and nipple being separate in every wash every time... it would be impossible for me to do it with the dishwasher. Also, my staff assistant wouldn't keep them straight.

We use a ring system to go around the actual bottle if they are identical. I use the livestrong bands on the advent bottle. If it's a regular bottle then we do colored rings to keep them separate. Keeping all that together is enough. I wouldn't want to add the layer of making sure none of the three bottle pieces were used by more than one baby.

I have the parents supply three bottles to keep here and then the milk to stay here. I don't have parents bringing daily bottles with the exception of bringing fresh squooozed bmilk.
Michelle 01:26 PM 06-09-2011
I'm glad that works for you.
I just have a daycare full of nurses and even one lawyer that would royally freak out if I did that and it's just my own personal feelings too. I always worry about cross contamination with breast milk because it can carry the aids virus among other things.
for me it's really not that hard to keep them separate.
I'm pretty organized and I just rinse the bottles really good afterwards and put them in their cubbies.
nannyde 01:47 PM 06-09-2011
I'm glad that works for you.
I just have a daycare full of nurses and even one lawyer that would royally freak out if I did that and it's just my own personal feelings too. I always worry about cross contamination with breast milk because it can carry the aids virus among other things.
for me it's really not that hard to keep them separate.
I'm pretty organized and I just rinse the bottles really good afterwards and put them in their cubbies.
Well whatever works for you and your clients. That's the beauty of this job.

I don't think your nurse clients would worry too much about AIDS transmission.

HIV, unlike most viruses has to be within a host or culture at a temperature of 98.6 degrees give or take only a degree or two. Outside of the body, the virus dies within minutes without the temperature necessary for its survival.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_long_d...tside_the_body
Michelle 01:59 PM 06-09-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Well whatever works for you and your clients. That's the beauty of this job.

I don't think your nurse clients would worry too much about AIDS transmission.

HIV, unlike most viruses has to be within a host or culture at a temperature of 98.6 degrees give or take only a degree or two. Outside of the body, the virus dies within minutes without the temperature necessary for its survival.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_long_d...tside_the_body
I just look at it like this, Would I put a bottle in my OWN new born babies mouth knowing it had another woman's breast milk in it? or in the mouth of an 8 month old that just got diagnosed with strep throat or some other
illness?
The 2 R.N.'s that I have would boil their babies bottles and bottled water, send the bottles,nipples etc. in sterile bags every day. I have had their kids since they were born and they LOVE it that I take germs so seriously.
Because they are in the medical field, they see the things that could happen to little ones. I know that when kids get older they all share the same toys but what I'm talking about is young babies that need to be protected.
Blackcat31 02:21 PM 06-09-2011
Babies share toys. I highly doubt each toy is touched only by one child before it is sterilized for the next one to pick up, examine and then chew on.....just saying.

...also what does a lawyer have to do with bottle sharing? Are you saying it is illegal somehow to use the same bottles for different kids?
Cat Herder 02:30 PM 06-09-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Babies share toys.
And the mats, the providers clothing/skin, the linens, the cribs, the room air, etc...

IMHO, THAT is what it is to choose to put your child in group child care. That is also one of the reasons why I did not.

Infectious Disease Control is one of the MAJOR components of my program.

I supply bottles because that is the ONLY way I can ensure they are clean and the fluid contained inside is fresh.

My parents like being able to depend 100% on me...it takes one of the balls out of the air for them for 10 hours each day.
Michelle 02:41 PM 06-09-2011
Babies share toys. I highly doubt each toy is touched only by one child before it is sterilized for the next one to pick up, examine and then chew on.....just saying.

...also what does a lawyer have to do with bottle sharing? Are you saying it is illegal somehow to use the same bottles for different kids?

I think it should be against regs. but what I was saying I have a very good group of parents that expect me to take very good care of their babies. AND I do. That's why I have had them so long and they tell everyone about me.
You have to answer honestly if you would give your own newborn baby a bottle that dozens of other babies have used. Try to think of all the sneezing, coughing, and recently diagnosed illness. (and no, I don't allow sick kids in my daycare) but we all know that they are contagious before symptoms appear.
AND I am talking about very young babies! Newborns that have very low immune systems.
Seriously, would you give your own baby these bottles that another woman's breast milk has been in.?
No one will answer this question.
The op asked for the best advise and I think this is the best advise. It's about being healthy not whats easier.
Michelle 02:55 PM 06-09-2011

Well, the bottom line should be, what's best for the child and not what's easier for you. That's what we are getting paid for.
So my advise is to not share bottles and there is a cute website www.inchbug.com where you can get cute bottle/cup labels that are dishwasher safe (for when the parents bring them back the next day, there's no icky tape stuff on them) There are even labels where you can have the child's picture and name on their "own" bottle or cup
good luck with those cuties
Blackcat31 02:59 PM 06-09-2011
I think it should be against regs. but what I was saying I have a very good group of parents that expect me to take very good care of their babies. AND I do. That's why I have had them so long and they tell everyone about me.
You have to answer honestly if you would give your own newborn baby a bottle that dozens of other babies have used. Try to think of all the sneezing, coughing, and recently diagnosed illness. (and no, I don't allow sick kids in my daycare) but we all know that they are contagious before symptoms appear.
AND I am talking about very young babies! Newborns that have very low immune systems.
Seriously, would you give your own baby these bottles that another woman's breast milk has been in.? No one will answer this question.
The op asked for the best advise and I think this is the best advise. It's about being healthy not whats easier.
My DD (now 22 yrs old) was about 5 weeks old and I had traveled with her to visit some relatives. I wasn't great at packing a diaper bag yet (new first time mom) and packed everything except a bottle. My SIL was a breastfeeding mom and she had a couple bottles packed (her 2nd child) and lent me one of her bottles and nipples. I mixed my DD's formula in it, fed it to her and never gave it a passing thought. So in response to your question: Yes, I guess I would because I did.

I can't answer that question in regards to today because I am a long way off from having newborns of my own and like I said, the last few newborns I have had in care all come with different bottle preferences.
nannyde 03:11 PM 06-09-2011
Seriously, would you give your own baby these bottles that another woman's breast milk has been in.?
If it had been washed thru my dishwasher at "High Temp" wash and hot air dried. YES I would. Of course.
Meeko 03:26 PM 06-09-2011
Michelle.....I feed my babies each day...snuggled up against me. They touch me and my clothes and my skin. I touch them and talk to them as I feed them. My face is close to theirs and as I have to breathe during the process, my breath touches them also. I have my assistant do the feeding if I KNOW I am sick....but in 25 years I am quite sure I have spread "germs" on the babies in my care. That's just life.

I am assuming you hold and feed your babies the same way and do not prop.

So do you shower, wash your hair and change your clothes between each baby feeding to avoid cross-contamination? If you don't...then why bother with just the bottles?

Personally I can see no point in being so protective over JUST the bottles if EVERYTHING else they come in contact with during the day is touched by anyone else.

When my oldest son was a baby, I lovingly boiled water and bottles etc. One day an older neighbor/nurse from across the street came over and laughed at me. She said
"Honey...while you're in the kitchen boiling bottles, he's chewing his hand...are you gonna boil that too?
Michelle 03:42 PM 06-09-2011
My infants all have their own mouth toys until at least 6 months.
Yes, of course I hold my babies when I feed them and cuddle etc.
and no, I don't shower in between feedings.
I am just in the good practice of having the cleanest daycare and I am trying to have the healthiest. Yes, some of my kids get sick.

Sometimes I read some of your ladies posts and I think , Wow, I want to be like that too...such as eating like Nanny De or making teepees for my kids.
I just thought that I would share my ways of doing things with this new provider. To help her get off to a good start.
I have asked around here, friends, parents etc. if I am just crazy and they all say, no, that my obsession for wanting the best for these kids are why they chose me. I have had perfect strangers ask me, so which kids are yours?
I love them all so much and I just want the best for them as they start out in life.
sorry if I made anyone mad.
cheerfuldom 03:58 PM 06-09-2011
I don't see the posters as being mad about you. I think they really want to point out that there is no legitimate reason to do this and it is just making extra work for yourself. I think its great that you are so careful with your kiddos and it is way better to be "over cleaning" than not so kudos to you for going the extra mile. In my opinion, doing these extra things does not have a significant benefit and only creates more work for me. Thats why I chose to have each parent bring a days worth of bottles and formula each day. Some might not see that as easier but it is what works for me. I only have two bottle fed babies right now so its no big deal to keep stuff separate. I don't wash bottles either. I also don't usually hold the babies once they can hold their own bottles provided there is a safe place to put them down during meal time. Thats just me though.
Michelle 04:19 PM 06-09-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I don't see the posters as being mad about you. I think they really want to point out that there is no legitimate reason to do this and it is just making extra work for yourself. I think its great that you are so careful with your kiddos and it is way better to be "over cleaning" than not so kudos to you for going the extra mile. In my opinion, doing these extra things does not have a significant benefit and only creates more work for me. Thats why I chose to have each parent bring a days worth of bottles and formula each day. Some might not see that as easier but it is what works for me. I only have two bottle fed babies right now so its no big deal to keep stuff separate. I don't wash bottles either. I also don't usually hold the babies once they can hold their own bottles provided there is a safe place to put them down during meal time. Thats just me though.
thank you so much
sharlan 04:48 PM 06-09-2011
There is no one right or wrong way to operate our daycares. We are each different individuals and do things differently.

As far as sharing breast milk, no way. As for sharing a bottle that's in use, no way.

I don't have a problem using properly washed and sterilized bottles for different babies. Once the bottle is washed and sterilized what difference does it make?

I've often had two babies on bottles at the same time. After feeding the baby, I rinse it out with hot water, fill it with water with the nipple inside and add a couple of drops of dish soap. I run all the bottles through the dishwasher at night.

I boil the bottles and nipples until the baby is 6 mos old. I have a daughter that is an OCD germophobe. She uses more alcohol that most of us use dishsoap.
Meeko 04:49 PM 06-09-2011
Michelle...you are a sweetheart......there is nothing WRONG with what you are doing........some of us see it as not necessary that's all. Kudos to you for wanting a healthy day care. Just don't tire yourself out! {{HUGS}!
Cat Herder 05:41 PM 06-09-2011
It was not what you "said"...it was how it was "said". No worries, we have all done it and will do it again sooner or later. I am absurdly literal and have to explain myself often. After a while we all learn personalities and know no harm was meant.

We all have our hot buttons...just mention to me that you like infants to sleep in a swing because it is easier than waking them up. I turn into a blustering sailor with a hangover...

There are other providers with hot buttons, too.... Sharing bottles is yours. Point taken and filed away...
Abigail 06:07 PM 06-09-2011
Do you clean them as soon as you're done using them, or at the end of the day? No, I rinse them out though.

What's the best, easiest way to clean them?
You can always purchase a bottle sanitizer, but it just costs that extra money and takes up that extra space so I recommend using the dishwasher.

Do you ask parents to supply their own bottles, or do you have a supply that all babies use?
I NEED organization in my home and enjoy shopping for baby things to use in my daycare. I will be buying my own bottles and provide them, but if a parent requests I use their specific bottle I will.

Is it safe to let different babies use the same bottles?
It's safe as long as they're clean. You certainly shouldn't make an 8 oz bottle to give to child A who drinks only 2 oz and then give the rest to child B, KWIM? Make sure when you clean them to take the nipples out of the ring. Many people forget to do that since they don't assemble the nipple to the ring to the bottle while preparing a bottle since the nipple is always ready to go in the ring.

What do you use?Do you ask parents to supply this or just have your own?
I will be providing a generic brand of formula because I will be on the food program. Parents can still choose to provide their own. The less the parents need to provide the better. I really just want them to bring their child, not the baby car seat, diaper bag, grocery bag, etc.

Does either need refrigerated? If you make a bottle ahead of time, how long is it good for?
You can prepare all your bottles for the day ahead of time and they're good until you need to use them that day. If a baby drinks from the bottle, make sure they get that same bottle within the hour or so to finish it instead of going to a new bottle each time. I don't premake bottles because our babies are so unpredictable based on the night they had.....if they didn't sleep, if they just ate, sometimes they come with a bottle ready to feed to them. I was always told if a baby doesn't take (drink much at all) of a bottle it's good to go back into the fridge. If you begin feeding a baby try to use it within the hour. I was also told to dump the bottle if it was over an hour and they had more than a few sips because bacteria can begin to grow.

You should do some googling on bottle feeding basics and you'll get fairly close answers. Best thing is to call your local clinic and ask for information to be mailed or you pick up. That will be the most up-to-date information that your new moms are getting.
Michelle 06:57 PM 06-09-2011
thanks you guys,
you are all awesome!

I love coming here and stealing all your ideas and ways of doing things.
Michelle 07:10 PM 06-09-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
It was not what you "said"...it was how it was "said". No worries, we have all done it and will do it again sooner or later. I am absurdly literal and have to explain myself often. After a while we all learn personalities and know no harm was meant.

We all have our hot buttons...just mention to me that you like infants to sleep in a swing because it is easier than waking them up. I turn into a blustering sailor with a hangover...

There are other providers with hot buttons, too.... Sharing bottles is yours. Point taken and filed away...
oh, you are so right, I guess I did have a very strong opinion,
I breastfed all my kids and they trained to a cup, they never had bottles, ever and I was always told to never share bottles , so I just thought that was the way to do it.
I absolutely would freak out too if I saw someone letting babies fall asleep in a swing. I had a friend once that would tightly wrap her newborn, stick her in a swing AND prop a bottle up in the swing!!! she would get mad if the bottle fell and she had to prop it again.She left her there for hours and just kept refilling the bottle. All her kids got taken away...drugs etc. what a surprise
Michelle 07:13 PM 06-09-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
Michelle...you are a sweetheart......there is nothing WRONG with what you are doing........some of us see it as not necessary that's all. Kudos to you for wanting a healthy day care. Just don't tire yourself out! {{HUGS}!
aw, thank you
Cat Herder 07:18 PM 06-09-2011
oh, you are so right, I guess I did have a very strong opinion,
I breastfed all my kids and they trained to a cup, they never had bottles, ever and I was always told to never share bottles , so I just thought that was the way to do it.
I absolutely would freak out too if I saw someone letting babies fall asleep in a swing. I had a friend once that would tightly wrap her newborn, stick her in a swing AND prop a bottle up in the swing!!! she would get mad if the bottle fell and she had to prop it again.She left her there for hours and just kept refilling the bottle. All her kids got taken away...drugs etc. what a surprise
I breastfed mine, too... I am sorry your friend did that, but glad there is one less provider who has to bear the tirade of my expletive laced swing sleeping rant...
Christina72684 07:32 PM 06-09-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
All of your questions about preparation and refrigeration can be answered by reading the label of the formula container. Next time you are at the grocery, take a look.

As for washing bottles, here's a question for you...

Do you eat off the same plate for lunch that you ate off of for breakfast without washing it? There's your answer to cleaning the bottles.

I have parents supply it because there are way too many kinds on the market.

Have the parents either bring you a can of powder formula and a couple bottles to leave at your house or have them bring you already prepared bottles for the day.

I don't mean to be so harsh but these are fundamental questions you should know the answer to before providing care!!!
This is why I'm asking these questions BEFORE I open. I'm a new mom and a new provider, trying to learn all the tricks and rules to all sorts of things, including feeding.
Blackcat31 08:42 AM 06-10-2011
Sometimes I read some of your ladies posts and I think , Wow, I want to be like that too...such as eating like Nanny De or making teepees for my kids.
I just thought that I would share my ways of doing things with this new provider. To help her get off to a good start.
I have asked around here, friends, parents etc. if I am just crazy and they all say, no, that my obsession for wanting the best for these kids are why they chose me. I have had perfect strangers ask me, so which kids are yours?
I love them all so much and I just want the best for them as they start out in life.
sorry if I made anyone mad.
Michelle~ I meant no disrespect either. I too, was simply stating my personal opinion. And as PP's have mentioned, it seems no one has stronger opinions that self-employed women who do what we do all day. It is also that same reason we all do what we do. Because we care and because we can do things in the ways that work for each of us in our own businesses.

We, as a group need to make sure we are always respectful to our differences and use them as learning opportunities and never to make another provider feel inferior or angry or upset that we don't think their way is the right way. There is only one way to run your child care...YOUR way.

LOL!!...maybe we should start a thread listing each providers hot button topic?!?! it could read like the acronym list:

Catherder: infants sleepong in swings
Nannyde: healthy organic foods

This is why I'm asking these questions BEFORE I open. I'm a new mom and a new provider, trying to learn all the tricks and rules to all sorts of things, including feeding.
I think it is great that you are asking questions and gathering information but I will warn you...every plan you have and every idea you think you have in place will all be left on the wayside when you actually open and do it. This job is one of those jobs that educates you WHILE you do it not before.
hwichlaz 07:00 PM 01-29-2018
I just look at it like this, Would I put a bottle in my OWN new born babies mouth knowing it had another woman's breast milk in it? or in the mouth of an 8 month old that just got diagnosed with strep throat or some other
illness?
The 2 R.N.'s that I have would boil their babies bottles and bottled water, send the bottles,nipples etc. in sterile bags every day. I have had their kids since they were born and they LOVE it that I take germs so seriously.
Because they are in the medical field, they see the things that could happen to little ones. I know that when kids get older they all share the same toys but what I'm talking about is young babies that need to be protected.
Would I? yes I would let my own newborn baby use a bottle that another child has used, as long as it's been washed. Heck, not even the dishwasher, just hot soapy water and a bottle brush. And by 5 months they are all mouthing the same toys anyway. I wash them daily, but they still trade occasionally without me seeing it happen.
mamamanda 09:50 AM 01-30-2018
illness?
Just to add my thoughts...Do you serve guests in your home from your kitchen glasses? Once you've washed them, do you consider them clean again? If so, I don't see that as any different than serving a baby from a clean, but previously used bottle. I will say though I admire your commitment to cleanliness & excellence! I love how we're all different, but at the end of the day we're all working toward the same goal...caring well for the children that are entrusted to us.
Blackcat31 09:59 AM 01-30-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
Would I? yes I would let my own newborn baby use a bottle that another child has used, as long as it's been washed. Heck, not even the dishwasher, just hot soapy water and a bottle brush. And by 5 months they are all mouthing the same toys anyway. I wash them daily, but they still trade occasionally without me seeing it happen.
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
Just to add my thoughts...Do you serve guests in your home from your kitchen glasses? Once you've washed them, do you consider them clean again? If so, I don't see that as any different than serving a baby from a clean, but previously used bottle. I will say though I admire your commitment to cleanliness & excellence! I love how we're all different, but at the end of the day we're all working toward the same goal...caring well for the children that are entrusted to us.
This thread is from 2011.

Just in case you weren't aware.
As always the info is relevant and useful but the member you are quoting isn't a regular poster any longer. Pops in here and there but not as frequently as before.
mamamanda 11:11 AM 01-30-2018
This thread is from 2011.

Just in case you weren't aware.
As always the info is relevant and useful but the member you are quoting isn't a regular poster any longer. Pops in here and there but not as frequently as before.
Thanks for pointing that out! I never think to check the original posting date.
BrynleeJean 01:53 PM 02-01-2018
If your that confused honestly id just have the parent supply the formula (read the back for directions, add the water first it should say that and never nuke a bottle) and have the parent provide the bottles as well and just send them home dirty at the end of the day, maybe rinse them out as a courtesy but just stick them in their bag and let them clean them. EVERY center i know of does this it isn't out of the ordinary.

I however provided bottles, i asked what kind of bottle they liked and got a bunch when they enrolled with the admission fee and they bought the formula because every child is different, there are so many kinds, id have the formula LEFT AT MY HOUSE so they never forgot it and the bottles were always there so i was never in a pinch. I soaked that all together at the end of the day and scrubbed them out with a bottle brush just to get the oily formula residue out then threw them in the dishwasher to sanitize and unloaded in the morning, easy peasy, just tedious . and i just ran the bottles under hot water in a large cup to warm them and tested them on my wrist, you could buy a bottle warmer, i never used mine.

toss the bottle after an hour is our policy here, don't save even in the fridge. a new bottle every time so you may need like 4-6 bottles a day depending on how much the child eats.

Good Luck!
Tags:2011, bottles, formula, preparing formula, providing - formula, providing - supplies, storing formula
Reply Up