Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Directors DCK is a Biter!!
luckyduck4 01:48 PM 10-13-2013
Help me! I am new to a well established center. This center has high ratings in the area. I recently graduated from college with an early childhood degree and have previous experience in the daycare setting, not to mention four children of my own ages 13-25. Here is the low down: I have been working as a three's teacher for six weeks. The new director (had been the fours teacher) has a three year old boy in my class. He is speech/language delayed and receives services for them. He does not play with the others. He bites the other children two to three times weekly. He bit a teacher that relieved me at the end of my shift on Friday. The parents are complaining. The director babies him. During lunch she brings him a sleeve of crackers to the room (because he won't eat the lunch) he refuses to lay down for nap, so he roams the room. He threw another child out of a play structure last week and the director stated that I did not need to write it up.
The other parents do not know that this boy is her child. This center is one of five. I think that the executive director should know what is going on. This seems like abuse to the other children. At what point do I say this is enough and go above her head?
In the employee handbook it states that children of employees should not attend the same center. This is obviously overlooked in this instance.
One more thing, for every bite that occurs, I keep at least three from happening by leaping over chairs when I see that it may happen. This boy will bite one child if he sees that two children are having a heated argument over a toy, he will bite a child if she yells too loudly, he will bite a child at a meal if they drank the last of the milk. He is a big boy, 50 plus pounds and I am the only teacher. There are usually six other children in the room.

At what point do I say this is enough and go above her head?
Blackcat31 01:54 PM 10-13-2013
Originally Posted by luckyduck4:
Help me! I am new to a well established center. This center has high ratings in the area. I recently graduated from college with an early childhood degree and have previous experience in the daycare setting, not to mention four children of my own ages 13-25. Here is the low down: I have been working as a three's teacher for six weeks. The new director (had been the fours teacher) has a three year old boy in my class. He is speech/language delayed and receives services for them. He does not play with the others. He bites the other children two to three times weekly. He bit a teacher that relieved me at the end of my shift on Friday. The parents are complaining. The director babies him. During lunch she brings him a sleeve of crackers to the room (because he won't eat the lunch) he refuses to lay down for nap, so he roams the room. He threw another child out of a play structure last week and the director stated that I did not need to write it up.
The other parents do not know that this boy is her child. This center is one of five. I think that the executive director should know what is going on. This seems like abuse to the other children. At what point do I say this is enough and go above her head?
In the employee handbook it states that children of employees should not attend the same center. This is obviously overlooked in this instance.
One more thing, for every bite that occurs, I keep at least three from happening by leaping over chairs when I see that it may happen. This boy will bite one child if he sees that two children are having a heated argument over a toy, he will bite a child if she yells too loudly, he will bite a child at a meal if they drank the last of the milk. He is a big boy, 50 plus pounds and I am the only teacher. There are usually six other children in the room.

At what point do I say this is enough and go above her head?
Now.

No way would I put myself in the position of being partly responsible for the other kids being "abused" like this... and they are.

If this child is a biter and the director herself is not following the rules, then I would report her.

If you are in the position to have a sit down discussion with her, I would.

I would also direct ALL complaints about her child to her.
Let her deal with it.

I would also document each and every incident.

Even if she says not to....as a matter of fact, I would do it because she said not to. THAT says she KNOWS she is not handling this right.

Like parents, even teachers/directors cannot give YOU permission to do the wrong thing and allowing this behavior to continue is wrong.

As a mandated reporter you DO have an obligation to report violations that go against state licensing. The center rules are something you will need to take to the director herself.

I'm sorry you are in this position. What tough place to be....
Michael 02:08 PM 10-13-2013
Welcome to the forum!
Tags:biter, provider children
Reply Up