Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ok, What Do I Do If Time Outs Are Not Working?!
sahm2three 06:48 AM 01-06-2011
I have the 2 year old dcb who I have talked about being in the terrible twos. Into EVERYTHING. Climbs EVERYTHING. Goes from one thing to the other that he isn't supposed to be into, and has plenty of toys to play with. He has other kids his age to play with. But he chooses to just get into trouble. Another thing he does is take his socks off. I have a rule that you must keep your socks on during the winter time. I have hardwood floor on much of my floors and it is cold right now. He whips them off, especially in time out. What do I do with him?! I really dislike 2 year olds. They are way to mischievious. Tell me what else I can do! I use Common Sense Parenting (get down to their level, tell them what they did and that it is not ok). I also use the counting method. What else can I do?! Time outs aren't making an impression on him any more. UGH! So exhausted!

Ok, I am going to say it here. I don't actually DISLIKE 2 year olds. I dislike that you can't really reason with them. In my opinion, they are the hardest of all teh ages. So I am going to retract it without completely taking it out. I am not an ogar, I don't dislike the actual kid. I dislike the stage.
Little People 06:57 AM 01-06-2011
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
I have the 2 year old dcb who I have talked about being in the terrible twos. Into EVERYTHING. Climbs EVERYTHING. Goes from one thing to the other that he isn't supposed to be into, and has plenty of toys to play with. He has other kids his age to play with. But he chooses to just get into trouble. Another thing he does is take his socks off. I have a rule that you must keep your socks on during the winter time. I have hardwood floor on much of my floors and it is cold right now. He whips them off, especially in time out. What do I do with him?! I really dislike 2 year olds. They are way to mischievious. Tell me what else I can do! I use Common Sense Parenting (get down to their level, tell them what they did and that it is not ok). I also use the counting method. What else can I do?! Time outs aren't making an impression on him any more. UGH! So exhausted!
You could velcro him to the wall There was an article about 20 years ago that a mother of 4 children would try to clean her house and the kids would mess up the room she just got done and she said she could never get the entire house cleaned and be able to look back and see everything cleaned. So she glued both walls in her hall with velcro, then she made like a velcro jumpsuit for each kid. She made soft velcro toys. The she placed 2 kids on one wall and two kids on the other wall and gave them the velcro toys. They would throw toys back and forth. She said the kids LOVED it and cried when she took them off!!
Today she would be thrown in jail for this!! But I just had to throw this in!!
marniewon 07:30 AM 01-06-2011
Originally Posted by Little People:
You could velcro him to the wall There was an article about 20 years ago that a mother of 4 children would try to clean her house and the kids would mess up the room she just got done and she said she could never get the entire house cleaned and be able to look back and see everything cleaned. So she glued both walls in her hall with velcro, then she made like a velcro jumpsuit for each kid. She made soft velcro toys. The she placed 2 kids on one wall and two kids on the other wall and gave them the velcro toys. They would throw toys back and forth. She said the kids LOVED it and cried when she took them off!!
Today she would be thrown in jail for this!! But I just had to throw this in!!
Brilliant! Love it!

But back to the issue. Can you put a pnp in the playroom and put him in it with a few toys that he can't use as weapons? That would keep him in one place so he wouldn't be getting into everything. As far as the socks, I have the same rule, for the same reason. However, if a kid wants to take his socks off, he will. Can he get his shoes off yet? If he can't, try leaving shoes on him. Other than that I have no advice for you.
Crystal 07:36 AM 01-06-2011
I'd suggest redirection, limited choices and positive reinforcement, but that has all been said before and it tends to fall on deaf ears around here.

If he's bringing you so much stress, perhaps you need to find a replacement for him.

On the sock thing.....if the cold floor doesn't bother him, then why are you insistent about it? Seems that you are causing yourself added issues by battling something that really doesn't need to be battled. Let him take them off, OR try reverse psychology. Take his socks off of him first and tell him he cannot wear them. He might decide he wants them on
Crystal 07:40 AM 01-06-2011
I really dislike 2 year olds. They are way to mischievious.
went back and re-read your post. Ya know, this right here says alot. Perhaps you should cater to infants or preschool and school age. Might save you a BIG headache.
sahm2three 07:43 AM 01-06-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
I'd suggest redirection, limited choices and positive reinforcement, but that has all been said before and it tends to fall on deaf ears around here.

If he's bringing you so much stress, perhaps you need to find a replacement for him.

On the sock thing.....if the cold floor doesn't bother him, then why are you insistent about it? Seems that you are causing yourself added issues by battling something that really doesn't need to be battled. Let him take them off, OR try reverse psychology. Take his socks off of him first and tell him he cannot wear them. He might decide he wants them on
Redirection doesn't work. I would have to follow him around all day long! He seems to go in spurts. This last couple weeks have been horrid. His sister and him go back and forth. She is the 4 year old who ran from me and the one I made a behavior chart for. I would do a chart for the 2 year old but can't imagine he would understand any of it.

The sock thing is also a request by the parents. He has a history of being hospitalized for colds I guess, so they are hypersensitive to it. In the summer I take them off, but winter they stay on because of cold. I asked parents to bring slippers because I don't allow shoes in the house. Haven't brought any yet. I may go to the second hand store and see if I can find any in his size that can just stay here.
Blackcat31 07:45 AM 01-06-2011
Take him outside maybe??.....let him run wild until he gets it out of his system. I have also found that alot of 2 yr olds are not capable of playing quietly...they require an adult to get them involved in activities. I am not a big fan of adult regulated play and love free play myself but I have found that if I am busy or not mediating 2 yr olds they do run wild. They need to be engaged in something that holds their interest and inspires them to stay occupied. He is obviously getting the attention he is needing but is getting it in the wrong way. But to a 2 year old ANY attention, positive or negative is attention....so he is winning that one. Sort of seems like he is bored maybe?

Also, as Crystal said...I would forget the battle with socks. He doesn't care so why should you? Personally, I think bare feet on so many kids in my house at one time is icky but I haven't had to have that battle so....... Maybe get him a pair of tights? LOL!! I have a 11 month old boy whos parents put tights on him so he can't go barefoot...whatever...it's not a fashion show so they win that one. Plus where we live it is COLD!
Blackcat31 07:49 AM 01-06-2011
Redirection doesn't work. I would have to follow him around all day long! He seems to go in spurts. This last couple weeks have been horrid. His sister and him go back and forth. She is the 4 year old who ran from me and the one I made a behavior chart for. I would do a chart for the 2 year old but can't imagine he would understand any of it.

The sock thing is also a request by the parents. He has a history of being hospitalized for colds I guess, so they are hypersensitive to it. In the summer I take them off, but winter they stay on because of cold. I asked parents to bring slippers because I don't allow shoes in the house. Haven't brought any yet. I may go to the second hand store and see if I can find any in his size that can just stay here.
How do the kids behave at home? This sort of sounds as though the parents let their kids run wild at home so you are only getting behavior the kids are used too....maybe you should be talking with the parents whenever their kid(s) can't behave at your house...give the responsibilty to the parent.
melskids 08:01 AM 01-06-2011
do you have enough room to create a sectioned off space just for him? i have the same trouble right now with a 19 month old. i put two bookshelves coming out from the wall, and gate the "fourth wall". i filled the shelves with appropriate toys for that age group, and now call it my "toddler" section. lol he still has plenty of room for play, (about 6x8 foot area) but no longer bothers the other kids. of course, he has now taken to chucking all of his toys over the gate, but once he does, theyre gone. he'll soon learn that he wont have anything to play with when he does that.
Live and Learn 08:01 AM 01-06-2011
Originally Posted by crystal:
i'd suggest redirection, limited choices and positive reinforcement, but that has all been said before....

On the sock thing.....if the cold floor doesn't bother him, then why are you insistent about it? Seems that you are causing yourself added issues by battling something that really doesn't need to be battled. Let him take them off, or try reverse psychology. Take his socks off of him first and tell him he cannot wear them. He might decide he wants them on
this!!
Live and Learn 08:07 AM 01-06-2011
Originally Posted by melskids:
he has now taken to chucking all of his toys over the gate, but once he does, theyre gone. he'll soon learn that he wont have anything to play with when he does that.
I only time out for hitting, biting, and kicking. In six years only one time out because I watch them like a prison warden and nip things in the bud before they escalate.

I DO however put TOYS in time out. I say, "if you can't play nice with MY TOYS then I won't share them with you." ...and I take the toy away from her for the day.
Unregistered 08:11 AM 01-06-2011
sorry to sound rude but your comment about not likinmg 2yr olds and youre a provider makes me wanna vomit...how sad .......................
My4SunshineGirlsNY 08:19 AM 01-06-2011
I have a mischievous 2 year old daycare boy as well and when he can't tollerate a time out (he gets them for hitting, throwing things), I have to put him in the pack n play. It gives me a piece of mind that he isn't hurting anyone or getting into things he's not supposed to or destroying things. When he gets in trouble he starts finding things to throw and I will NOT have a hard toy go through my TV or hit another child (which he has hit my other daycare boy with hard toys many times and my own girls also).

I suggest the pack n play...if redirection and keeping him calm and busy with other activities isn't working, as most of the time it doesn't work with my 2 year old daycare boy, it's pack n play you go....then I talk to him after about why he was in there and he listens, which is excellent...but then he's back to doing the same thing not too long after. But consistancy is the key, you may think it's a waste of time, he's not listening, but EVENTUALLY they start to get it...took my own daughter to age 5 to finally get it, but I'm glad I was always consistant with her as she now understands the consequenses. She had seen her time in the playpen all too often between the age of 2-3
sahm2three 08:19 AM 01-06-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
went back and re-read your post. Ya know, this right here says alot. Perhaps you should cater to infants or preschool and school age. Might save you a BIG headache.
I guess that was a bit harsh. Not what you said, but what I sad. I don't REALLY dislike 2 year olds. They are just a challenge a lot of the time! They can be very funny and good comedy relief. I just have a house FULL of boys. And they all feed off of eachother. I would never be able to do anything other than watch their every move if I were to try to nip every bad behavior in the bud.

And the person who suggested that they run wild at home. They parents are fantastic. But I do think they may not be running the show completely at home. Also, they are older parents, so to me, the kids are more like grandchildren to them than children. They are overstimulated with LOTS and LOTS of toys at home, and so I don't think that they really play with toys. So they don't really play here with toys. They run and bounce off the walls. Ugh.
cillybean83 08:25 AM 01-06-2011
hmmm, if you just point blank don't like 2 year olds, I guess my only suggestion would be to not watch 2 year olds...but that doesn't always work!!

i would just forget about the sock thing, if the parents have an issue with it, they need to talk to him and work that out themselves...all the other stuff I think comes with the territory of having a 2 year old around, I've come to the conclusion that 2 year olds are scary creatures! Just watch him like a hawk and if he can't act right put him in a pack n play or like someone else suggested block off an area where he can go hog wild and not disrupt anyone else

sorry you're dealing with this
sahm2three 08:30 AM 01-06-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
sorry to sound rude but your comment about not likinmg 2yr olds and youre a provider makes me wanna vomit...how sad .......................
Oh get over yourself. Do you not ever have one of those days?! Loosen up.
kendallina 08:36 AM 01-06-2011
It does sound like he either might be bored or he's looking for attention (if he's not getting positive, then he'd rather have negative then nothing). Are you able to engage him in things positively? Do you and him have fun together? What kinds of things does he like to do (that are acceptable)?

I agree with Crystal. Allowing limited choices, making sure that the choices are things that he likes. Redirecting him before he even gets a chance to do a negative behavior when you can.

I also agree with PPs that suggested to not even battle over the socks. if he doesn't care about getting cold feet then I wouldn't either. It is not worth the battle. And you can assure his parents that you cannot catch a cold from having cold feet. That is not how colds are spread.

Good luck, I know it's hard when it gets to the point where there are negative feelings toward a child. I've been there and it's hard to get past those feelings, but you have to try or it will never get better. Look at every day like a new day and don't carry over bad feelings from the previous day.
sahm2three 08:36 AM 01-06-2011
He is such an affectionate little guy, but just seems to really like to get into trouble. Not sure if it is an attention thing. Do they get that at 2? The parents are super busy, so could he just not be getting enough attention at home? He is also really possesive of me. Hates it when I give any attention to the other littles. If I am holding a baby, he wants me holding him. If someone is giving me a hug goodbye, he throws himself at my feet and wants to be held too. I am just brainstorming, but maybe it is purely an attention thing. But how do I give him more attention and have it be fair and even?
kendallina 08:39 AM 01-06-2011
And the person who suggested that they run wild at home. They parents are fantastic. But I do think they may not be running the show completely at home. Also, they are older parents, so to me, the kids are more like grandchildren to them than children. They are overstimulated with LOTS and LOTS of toys at home, and so I don't think that they really play with toys. So they don't really play here with toys. They run and bounce off the walls. Ugh.
How is your environment set up? Are there a LOT of choices or just a few things from them to choose from? I've had to do a lot of adjusting in how much I have available for the 2-3 yrs old especially.
lvt77 08:44 AM 01-06-2011
not to sound rude but it really seems like your are zoning in on the negative things that he does instead of the positive....just like adults you reap what you sow.... if hes always getting negative attention then there is no reason to behave...
maybe the child has hot feet???
sahm2three 08:50 AM 01-06-2011
Originally Posted by kendallina:
How is your environment set up? Are there a LOT of choices or just a few things from them to choose from? I've had to do a lot of adjusting in how much I have available for the 2-3 yrs old especially.
Well, I recently blocked off the circle they had to run around. They are confined to our upstairs living area. It is probably about 600 sq feet or so. Maybe more, maybe less. Not 100% sure. I might take a video of the area and see what you all think. I have the toddlers and babies up here with me 100% of the time and the 4 year olds and above are able to go from up here to down stairs with monitors and a tv monitor on them if they are downstairs and I am not able to be with them. So the toys up here are age appropriate for babies to age 3 or so.

I try to point out positive things that he does (it is part of the common sense parenting course that I took). IF he walks even a couple feet I tell him how nicely he just walked. If he shares a toy or asks for a toy without whining, I tell him I liked his nice words and nice sharing. I DO give positive reinforcement. I guess everyone is only seeing the negative because I use THIS place as a place to vent. I do love my job. It is challenging but I really do love kids.
boysx5 09:11 AM 01-06-2011
I have an 18 month dcg who is very busy I put her in the pnp at times when we are trying to do a craft for preschool age and she will stay in there and watch or keep herself busy playing with a toy. I also try to keep her off limits to things that she gets into trouble with so sometimes I put the gate up in the family room and keep her in there. I would buy those slipper socks and see if he will keep those on or just tell the parents your doing the best you can
kendallina 10:04 AM 01-06-2011
He is such an affectionate little guy, but just seems to really like to get into trouble. Not sure if it is an attention thing. Do they get that at 2? The parents are super busy, so could he just not be getting enough attention at home? He is also really possesive of me. Hates it when I give any attention to the other littles. If I am holding a baby, he wants me holding him. If someone is giving me a hug goodbye, he throws himself at my feet and wants to be held too. I am just brainstorming, but maybe it is purely an attention thing. But how do I give him more attention and have it be fair and even?
If he seems to like getting into trouble, then I would definitely say it's an attention thing. I would give him the attention that he needs (positive, lots of hugs and smiles and playing when he's being good). I would not worry about making things 'fair and even' for now. Right now he's just needing a little more from you, I'd do what I could to give it to him.
lvt77 10:14 AM 01-06-2011
Sorry I also wanted to add that most kids need to be taught how to behave... Remind them what is expected of them. remind them of the rules and always point out when they are behaving well.... Sometime negative attention is the only attention they get at home so they dont know how to act any differently no matter where they go.

If you change your attention away from when he misbehaves (which i know is hard, especially when you feel like you wanna bang your head aganist the wall) lol
he will crave that positive attention.... when he does something good praise him and over and over again, maybe give me a sticker or stamp on his hand. Tell him how good he is...I promise you he will do everything he can positive to get your attention doing this.....if you always react when he's mis behaving, then he will repeat that behavior to always get your attention...
I had a similar child like this who used to make me want to cry and after doing this I really enjoy them each day they are here....
Crystal 01:21 PM 01-06-2011
I have to say, I think what sahm meant was that she doesn't particularly like WORKING with this age group. I think that's okay. Just as some of us prefer not to work with infants or school-age children. It doesn't mean we don't like the children, it means we know what age group we are best suited to work with. I commend any provider who takes a real-life assesment of where they stand in their career and chooses to tailor her program around the group that she is best-suited to meet the needs for. It means they CARE about what they do and that they KNOW they can do an excellent job providing for the needs of the ages they choose to serve.

And, even though SAHM made that comment, it doesn't neccesarily mean she shouldn't work with two year olds. Don't we all have bad days
SilverSabre25 02:59 PM 01-06-2011
Two is TOUGH. Even as a parent--two is hard. Haven't you ever heard the phrase, "Terrible Twos?" It was coined for a reason! I loved two with my DD, and I hated it at the same time. I love my 2 or almost 2 dcks, but at the same time...they are tough to deal with.

Take any age and you can find the positive side...and the negative side. Some days, the positive prevails, but some days, the negative does. And take your own mood--some days it's really easy to be positive, and some days, for no apparent reason, the negative does. This board is for venting. She's venting. Get OVER it. Not liking the age doesn't mean she'd like to fry the two year old up and serve him with french fries and a nice sauce! I cringe with each kiddo who comes up to 14 months because IME so far, 14 months is a really rough, annoying age. Same diff.
QualiTcare 03:08 PM 01-06-2011
I guess that was a bit harsh. Not what you said, but what I sad. I don't REALLY dislike 2 year olds. They are just a challenge a lot of the time! They can be very funny and good comedy relief. I just have a house FULL of boys. And they all feed off of eachother. I would never be able to do anything other than watch their every move if I were to try to nip every bad behavior in the bud.

i get what you meant. some people take things so literally. just like i (and i'm sure many people) say, "omg, i'm gonna kill myself," or "i'm about to shoot myself!" that doesn't mean we're really going to. on a bad day, i might even be caught saying, "i can't stand these kids!" talking about my OWN. that doesn't mean i should give them up for adoption. it's just a frustrated expression.
sahm2three 03:21 PM 01-06-2011
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
i get what you meant. some people take things so literally. just like i (and i'm sure many people) say, "omg, i'm gonna kill myself," or "i'm about to shoot myself!" that doesn't mean we're really going to. on a bad day, i might even be caught saying, "i can't stand these kids!" talking about my OWN. that doesn't mean i should give them up for adoption. it's just a frustrated expression.
Thank you.
lvt77 05:50 PM 01-06-2011
I learned that we should remove the I like when you... this way it does not sound like you are asking him to please you...I learned this in school....allthough I have to admit that I find myself saying it attimes....
Instead say wow that was a fantastic job that you just did! try the reward system, stamps or stickers.... we use pretend money called flaco bucks and the kids rack them up and cash them in to buy things from the treasure chest....they love it....ages 20 mmonths and up... in this situtaion I hve older kids help younger kids
Tags:disipline, time out
Reply Up