Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Licensing Investigation Question
snbauser 11:40 AM 02-09-2013
Does anyone know how a licensing investigation works? Someone I know has had licensing called on her. She is curious what happens after licensing comes out. Do they report back to the person who filed the complaint? If so, what information do they give to them? Do they just tell them whether the complaint was substaniated or not? Or do they go into detail about whether they found anything and if so what? According to the provider the complaint is not valid but she is concerned about how much she says will get back to the person who filed the complaint since that parent is no longer with her. I have never had licensing come out on a complaint....and knock on wood never will.... so I don't know the answer to her questions.
rmc20021 01:23 PM 02-09-2013
I have NEVER had a complaint regarding my daycare (other than a parent once who told me he was going to file a complaint because I wasn't open at the hours he wanted me to be).
BUT, I am also a licensed foster parent and we have a saying, it's not a matter of IF we get a complain, it's a matter of WHEN...so I DID have a complaint regarding foster care.
They simply came out and asked myself and the kids questions regarding the allegations. Did their investigation (and discovered I was in complete compliance).
I don't think there was anything reported back to the person who made the complaint (a disgrunteled bio parent who was losing custody of their kids permanently and was trying to blame anyone else she could and take the focus off her).
I doubt if there would be in a daycare situation either. If there were obvious non-compliance issues which may shut the daycare down, I'm sure the reporter would know then, but otherwise I really doubt they would receive any info...possibly if they are really nosey and kept calling the licensing dept.
Heidi 01:35 PM 02-09-2013
Twice in my career I've had a complaint made. Niether one was substantiated.

The licenser would come out, ask the provider her side of the story (I would go with "I have NO idea what they are suggesting...that is JUST ridiculous!")

In WI things are all state website now. The complaints a I had were pre-internet. I assume that now, they would put the complaint on the web, whether the complaint was substaniated or unsubstaniated, and a written statement from the provider (either their rebuttal or their correction plan).

If the allegation is something serious like abuse and is substantiated, licensing would then report it to CPS/police.
Former Teacher 02:04 PM 02-09-2013
Originally Posted by snbauser:
Does anyone know how a licensing investigation works? Someone I know has had licensing called on her. She is curious what happens after licensing comes out. Do they report back to the person who filed the complaint? If so, what information do they give to them? Do they just tell them whether the complaint was substaniated or not? Or do they go into detail about whether they found anything and if so what? According to the provider the complaint is not valid but she is concerned about how much she says will get back to the person who filed the complaint since that parent is no longer with her. I have never had licensing come out on a complaint....and knock on wood never will.... so I don't know the answer to her questions.
I speak from experience from TX licensing:

The only thing I can tell you is that while TX licensing boasts that everything is confidential etc...we ALWAYS found out exactly who called and what was said. Not that we had many complaints or anything but I was at my former center for almost 20 years and I always knew who said what.

Good luck to your friend.
blandino 02:21 PM 02-09-2013
Over the past 9 years, we have had 3 complaints (constructive influence [raised voice at a parent who was yelling at us], that we were keeping the indoor temp to warm [yes, seriously], and the most recent was for supervision [which all of you read about on here).

Typically they come out, collect info, do an "investigation" which typically entails going over all info they collected, calling clients, and giving all info to their supervisor. In OK they are supposed to have 60 days to get back to you - but this last time they took 4 months !! For us, they mail out a letter with their findings.
Reply Up