Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When to Stop Naps For 5-Year-Olds?
childcarebytori 01:09 PM 07-16-2014
I have four 5-year-olds who are starting kindergarten this fall. One is being homeschooled and will remain in care.

All four girls still take a minimum of a 2.5 hour each day with no issues. The schools the other three are attending do not offer a rest time during the day.

How long would you give before you start phasing out naps in preparation of all-day school?

The 5-year-old who is being homeschooled naps for an average of 3 to 3.5 hours daily. Never has issues at bedtime and is a great child. Would anyone STOP naps for her at anytime? I believe she just needs the extra rest each day. She is enrolled in extracurricular activities each evening after daycare.

Thanks in advance
daycarediva 01:38 PM 07-16-2014
I would slowly start dropping them by 15minutes per week (either putting down later or rousing them earlier).

As far as the child not going to K- she will stop naps on her own. No need to rush her.

We have no rest period here in K either, and it's HARD on some kids.
nothingwithoutjoy 01:46 PM 07-16-2014
My daughter will be home schooled, and I am holding on to nap as long as I can.

I don't phase out naps, either. Kindergarten is so different--shorter day, lots of sitting still. I wish they had nap time, but most seem to handle the transition ok with earlier bedtimes.
nannyde 01:53 PM 07-16-2014
The day before they start kindergarten
Meeko 04:09 PM 07-16-2014
KG'ers still nap here. They are back from school in time for lunch and nap.

No nap = no care.
debbiedoeszip 04:19 PM 07-16-2014
Originally Posted by childcarebytori:
I have four 5-year-olds who are starting kindergarten this fall. One is being homeschooled and will remain in care.

All four girls still take a minimum of a 2.5 hour each day with no issues. The schools the other three are attending do not offer a rest time during the day.

How long would you give before you start phasing out naps in preparation of all-day school?

The 5-year-old who is being homeschooled naps for an average of 3 to 3.5 hours daily. Never has issues at bedtime and is a great child. Would anyone STOP naps for her at anytime? I believe she just needs the extra rest each day. She is enrolled in extracurricular activities each evening after daycare.

Thanks in advance
Both junior and senior kindy kids, here, have cots available at school (full day kindy here). It's up to them if they lie down and rest/nap, though. I'd have the soon-to-be kindy kid lie down at rest time for 30 minutes. If he/she is still awake after 30 minutes, then they can get up and do quiet activities. If they are sleeping, then I'd figure they need it and let them sleep as long as usual.
Meyou 02:24 AM 07-17-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
This. If they are still falling asleep at naptime I let them sleep. My 10 year old naps at naptime (her choice) at least 1 day per week so there is no age IMO that children outgrow naps. It's all up to the individual.
Second Home 04:02 AM 07-17-2014
We have full day K here with no naps / rest time .

I still give them naps as long as they need them , if the child falls asleep in minutes of laying down they need the rest .

I must be the only one who has never had a dcp ask to stop naptime .
rosieteddy 04:04 AM 07-17-2014
i HAVE A 5 YR OLD NOW GOING IN SEPT.i WILL KEEP HIM NAPPING UNTIL HIS LAST DAY,sOMETIMES HE FALLS ASLEEP SOMETIMES JUST LISTENS TO MUSIC ON HIS MAT .i THINK THEY NEED DOWN TIME.i HAD MY gRANDSONS HERE FIRST 2 WEEKS OF SUMMER.tHEY LAY DOWN WITH A BOOK DURING NAPTIME.tHESE KIDS ARE UP SO EARLY THEY NEED IT.Sorry about caps didn't notice.
Baby lady 09:35 AM 07-17-2014
I've had kids that would still nap through their kindergarten year, after a full day of school. Not everyday, but mom and I agreed that a nap was needed 2 or 3 days a week
Jack Sprat 11:53 AM 07-17-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I have no intention of stopping naps.
Reply Up