Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Morning Nap
Farmerswife 04:36 AM 02-22-2018
What age do you start transitioning away from a morning nap? I have an almost 1 yr old and Mom says she doesn't sleep at night so she would like to try to cut out her morning nap. I don't know how that will go. She sleeps for 1.5 hrs in the morning and that's with me waking her up. Her afternoon nap is easily 2.5 hrs long. At home her crib is in Mom and Dad's bedroom so any little noise wakes her up (Mom admitted to this) and she knows they're in the room so she wants to be nursed. I personally think it's an issue of where her bed is and not that she's napping during the day. I agreed to cut her morning nap to 1 hr and see how that works, but I think she needs the sleep. I'm concerned she'll be one of those kids that doesn't "need" a nap by the time she's 3, but time will tell!
Tin Blues 04:44 AM 02-22-2018
The youngest was around 13 months and the oldest was 21 months. I keep morning nap very short for infants approaching a year, 45 minutes to an hour.
Farmerswife 05:24 AM 02-22-2018
Today she came in the grumpiest she has ever been. She usually plays on the floor really good...not today! Wants to be held and cries when she can see me if I'm not holding her. I don't think it's a good day to shorten nap! Maybe it's the bacon she had for breakfast
rosieteddy 06:03 AM 02-22-2018
I officially stopped the am nap at 12 months.We did go out for a walk at 10 am and if they fell asleep I let them sleep up to 45 min just to take the edge off.If impossible to stay awake before that i would let sleep 8-9am then snack and out.As far as parents go I would say you are trying to cut down but if the child needs it they get it.
Blackcat31 06:06 AM 02-22-2018
I don't care what age they are, if they come in unhappy they go straight to nap. I refuse to have to deal with a cranky tired child first thing in the morning....

I also won't shorten naps upon parent requests.

Kids nap here as I see fit. I am the one dealing with them.
Parents can manage sleep on their watch.

This parent seems to know the issue but wants you to take action to fix it.... I'd do whatever needs to be done according to DCG actions, mood and behaviors.

Like I told my own kids, 99% of the time my actions are only REACTIONS to your behavior.

So if DCM could move DCG's crib and adjust her routine at home so she's more pleasant at daycare then I could totally see adjusting her nap times too but right now it appears mom is simply wanting YOU to fix it. I'd decline her request.
Farmerswife 06:35 AM 02-22-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I don't care what age they are, if they come in unhappy they go straight to nap. I refuse to have to deal with a cranky tired child first thing in the morning....

This parent seems to know the issue but wants you to take action to fix it.... I'd do whatever needs to be done according to DCG actions, mood and behaviors.

Like I told my own kids, 99% of the time my actions are only REACTIONS to your behavior.

So if DCM could move DCG's crib and adjust her routine at home so she's more pleasant at daycare then I could totally see adjusting her nap times too but right now it appears mom is simply wanting YOU to fix it. I'd decline her request.
Thank You! I am fine with shortening her nap and seeing how she does, but I completely agree that it's Mom's issue, not mine. Thank you for confirming that I'm not just being a grumpy provider!

"DCM, baby is napping too long, you need to take care of things at home and naps will shorten on their own!!!!"
mamamanda 06:39 AM 02-22-2018

Black cat, if you send a kid for a morning nap b/c of behavior do you have trouble getting them to nap again at nap time? I have a 2.5 year old who is so tired in the morning, but if I lay him back down when he gets here he won't sleep at nap time & is disruptive to the whole group.
Blackcat31 06:57 AM 02-22-2018
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
Black cat, if you send a kid for a morning nap b/c of behavior do you have trouble getting them to nap again at nap time? I have a 2.5 year old who is so tired in the morning, but if I lay him back down when he gets here he won't sleep at nap time & is disruptive to the whole group.
No, not normally because my kiddos all know rest time is quiet time and while I don't ever expect sleep I do expect quiet.

So if a 2.5 yr old had to have a morning nap due to behavior issues, he more than likely won't sleep during rest time later in the afternoon but he'll still lay quietly.

I am lucky in none of my kids really have tendencies to be disruptive for others so that's nice but IF they did, Id move them directly under my supervision so I could make sure they were not being rude and disturbing others resting.

I also play audio books during rest time so those kids that don't actually sleep can lay still and listen to the story. I put a dozen or more stories on one DVD so it plays the entire rest period.

So yes, bottom line is sometimes a morning nap impacts rest time in the afternoon but I have no qualms wearing my "mean mommy" face so it works for me.

If I had a child that consistently had issues and got put down for morning nap regularly at 2.5 yrs old, I'd probably start discussing behavior over all with the parent after a few days but I do try to let these things work themselves out as most negative behaviors seem to be due to a home life change or something temporary so I allow time for that adjustment or for the situation to pass.
Ariana 09:27 AM 02-22-2018

All of this! I have had parents stop putting their kids down for two naps before starting here and I have to implement them because their cues are clearly being ignored at home. They are tired. Some of the kids I have had needed two naps up until nearly two years old!

Do what is right for you, your program and the child.
Tags:child development, developmental milestones, toddler behavior
Reply Up