Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Okay Now I Have Two Interviews And....
cheerfuldom 05:57 PM 05-08-2012
do I tell at the interviews that I am pregnant or not? I know this has been discussed before but I cant remember what other people do. I think I should but my DH says I shouldnt yet....I havent told the current parents but was planning to soon.
dave4him 05:58 PM 05-08-2012
I wouldnt.
MarinaVanessa 05:59 PM 05-08-2012
I wouldn't. If you havn't told your other clients yet then don't tell potential clients either. Tell everyone all at once when you decide to break the news.
cheerfuldom 06:02 PM 05-08-2012
I was planning to tell really soon though, like this week or next. And the interviews are this week and next week........I dont know that it is visible to people that dont know me but I dont want them to start and then their first few weeks surprise them with the pregnancy news. I work up to the due date and take one or two weeks off with no problem (this is my fourth) so I have no reason to think this baby will be different but I dont want any hard feelings like I was hiding something.....I am 12 weeks so its not new.
littlemissmuffet 06:06 PM 05-08-2012
What's your plan, Cheer?

Are you going to close for a certain amount of time before/after giving birth? Are you just going to stay open and have an assitant?

If you are just going to close for a short period of time (a week or two) I wouldn't tell them during the interview - I would let them know when I let the rest of my families know. This way, you aren;t scaring anyone away uneccessarily. Many parents coming off of a full mat leave (in Canada, a whole year) can't fathom going back to work within a month's time... and don't believe it's possible

If you are planning on closing for a considerable amount of time, I MIGHT let them know... it's really unfair to bring a family in, knowing that you would be closing in less than a year - either for good, or for a lengthy period of time.

HOWEVER, I always have to remind myself - that we as childcare providers and business owners do need to look out for ourselves because nobody else will. There are plenty of parents out there who would sign up with us knowing they aren't going to be long-term clients and never let us know, right?

Tough decision.
littlemissmuffet 06:08 PM 05-08-2012
Oh, I see you just posted -

Given the info you provided... only taking 1-2 weeks off, being 12 weeks pregnant and knowing you'll be letting your other families know in the next 2 weeks... I would let the interviewees know! Just make them comfortable with your plan of action and answer any questions they have and hopefully they make the right decision!
daycare 08:11 PM 05-08-2012
I would tell them with confidence and let them know this is how you did it in the past and it has always worked out great.

I think you are right that it would not be cool to spring it on them a week later.
AfterSchoolMom 05:10 AM 05-09-2012
I vote better now than right after they start. Just make sure you have a confident plan in place, and make sure they realize that we're talking about another 6 months before anything happens. Everyone should be able to plan backup care for two weeks, six months in advance.

Congrats again.
Kiki 05:17 AM 05-09-2012
Agree with the above, just let them know now, and let them know the amount of time you will be taking after your birth so they can factor that into their decision..
Lilbutterflie 05:22 AM 05-09-2012
I agree with telling them now since you are going to be telling the current parents. Let them know what your plan is for doctor's appointments and maternity leave so they know what to expect.

It might also be a good idea to plan what you will do in case of bed rest, too. I say that because both of my pregnancies required bed rest for 6+ weeks!! It's only a potential complication, but it's always good to be prepared!

Congrats!!!
jen2651 12:07 PM 05-09-2012
Just to provide some encouraging words, I signed my son (when I was working) up for his daycare 3 weeks before she was due. She had an assistant and only took a week off but I was more than willing to do that - I LOVED her! I personally would tell them just because I don't really like surprising people or feeling like "I am putting them out". If you give 6+ months of notice and they are not able to find care for 2 weeks, is this the type of family you really want?!
cheerfuldom 12:09 PM 05-09-2012
Originally Posted by jen2651:
Just to provide some encouraging words, I signed my son (when I was working) up for his daycare 3 weeks before she was due. She had an assistant and only took a week off but I was more than willing to do that - I LOVED her! I personally would tell them just because I don't really like surprising people or feeling like "I am putting them out". If you give 6+ months of notice and they are not able to find care for 2 weeks, is this the type of family you really want?!
well I did actually have the same situation with my second child....a new mom signed on RIGHT before baby was due. I took care of her daughter for a week, went on maternity leave and then had her daughter for two years. We are still good friends. Thanks for the reminder......yes, I will say something at the interviews. Wish me luck!
KEG123 12:12 PM 05-09-2012
If you're 12 weeks I'd let them know at the interview. Tell them your plan and be up front with them.
Reply Up