Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Advertising
sharlan 10:35 AM 09-30-2013
I'm starting to get really frustrated. I have open spaces that I just can't fill. I even have a coveted infant space open now and another one will open in 5 weeks.

I've been advertising on Craigslist, where I've received a lot of calls in the past. Now, nothing. The last 3 calls were for ladies looking for jobs in a daycare. Of course, I didn't have openings when I got the calls.

I've talked to two other providers that live near me, asking where they're advertising. I guess advertising is a trade secret that no one is willing to share. We each have something different to offer, so it's not like we are in direct competition. #1 caters to the Mandarin speaking community. #2 caters to school age. I cater to families who want their children to go on outings that #1 and #2 don't do.

I've tried our local paper, Penneysaver, yellow pages, restaurant menus, word of mouth, etc with absolutely no luck.

Anyone have any other ideas?
BBDC 10:40 AM 09-30-2013
Does your local grocery store have a place where you can hang flyers? or when I first started I even put flyers on cars window shields at the local hospital! I got a few calls from there? Facebook? I get a lot of my business from word of mouth on facebook.
Leigh 10:52 AM 09-30-2013
Radio works well if you can afford it. Some areas it's really cheap (it is in my area). I can purchase ads that run in rotation with weather updates (15-seconds) and get up to 400 ads a month for $125. Weather is on when people are in their cars going to work, so you reach parents as well as grandparents, friends, etc. of people looking for care.

You could try a cross-promotion strategy, too. Do you have a place that specializes in children's haircuts? You could hand out coupons or cards for them in exchange for them handing out your business cards. You could hand out pizza coupons in exchange for a pizza place offering your cards (lots of parents order pizza). Same with children's clothing or consignment stores, toy stores, etc.
melilley 10:54 AM 09-30-2013
I'm in the same boat! I opened in January and was full by the first week in March and I advertised on CL, plus I got a lot of calls. Now I have one opening and I've had an ad up of about a month and a half and have gotten some calls, most for the wrong age and have had one interview that didn't pan out. It must be that time of year.?
spinnymarie 12:48 PM 09-30-2013
I don't have much experience but I would blame the time of year as well - seems like lots of people are changing over the summer and right now are probably still settling wherever they picked -- or giving it one last shot before they decide to change
TwinKristi 05:53 PM 09-30-2013
I was slow at this time last year as well, then between Oct-Feb I filled up. Now I'm slow again after next week. I'll be down to 3 kids, 1 SA every day after school, 1 four days and 1 three days. I had an ad on CL I need to renew and will do that now while I'm thinking of it. We have a local resources and referrals group, 4C's, and they have a revolving list they send out when people ask for them. I also paid to advertise on this site through Dec in hopes of filling up again!
missheather 07:53 AM 10-01-2013
What about the local community college, local gym, pee-wee football games, local government center (County offices, social services office), also the local childcare referal agency (if your community has one)

Do you have a facebook page? Maybe letting your "friends" on facebook know you have any open... they may know a coworker or family member looking for care.

Good luck!
Tags:advertise
Reply Up