Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sharing a Sub With Other Providers?
Stephnrich 06:46 AM 05-14-2015
I'm having a difficult time finding a good, reliable substitute, which I need for 10 hrs a week. I'm pretty sure if offered more hours, it'd be easier to find someone more reluAble and better qualified. Would it be a good idea to contact the other in home providers to see if any of them would like to try a system of sharing a substitute? How could I make this work if any of them like the idea?
Baby Beluga 06:51 AM 05-14-2015
I have never done this and I have never had a sub - but if I did I don't think I would mind if another in-home proposed the idea.
DaveA 09:02 AM 05-14-2015
It was for centers not FCC, but for about a year I was a sub for multiple centers in the area. I had no trouble booking as much as I wanted. Even after I stopped I got calls from people who heard I subbed & needed one. It can't hurt to ask around.
Onawhim 09:11 AM 05-14-2015
I also subbed for multiple center (not in home) but I think it's a good idea!
Stephnrich 06:00 PM 05-14-2015
It's a relief to hear this has been done before. I plan on calling providers tomorrow and asking about their interest. Thank you all for your input. Im having trouble coming up with a clear plan of how to start this, but I guess the first step is to gauge interest from local providers. I'm not usually an initiator so fingers crossed.
Indianadaycare 07:42 AM 05-15-2015
I'm curious, too. Although in my case, I just need a sub for four hours once weekly so I can go to appointments when needed or just have a break! I have no assistant, so this is important to my sanity!
Any ideas where to look?
Indianadaycare 07:45 AM 05-15-2015
Originally Posted by DaveArmour:
It was for centers not FCC, but for about a year I was a sub for multiple centers in the area. I had no trouble booking as much as I wanted. Even after I stopped I got calls from people who heard I subbed & needed one. It can't hurt to ask around.
Dave, I've considered doing this actually instead of having my own daycare. How did you go about getting your name out there as a sub? I'm assuming you did not have your own dc at that point? In your experience, what were the pros/cons of both subbing and owning your own dc? Thanks!
NightOwl 08:11 AM 05-15-2015
Indiana, I think you'd have no problem being employed as a sub by several centers. Mostly, because subs are so hard to find/keep. The demand is outrageous.
Indianadaycare 08:59 AM 05-15-2015
Originally Posted by NessaRose:
Indiana, I think you'd have no problem being employed as a sub by several centers. Mostly, because subs are so hard to find/keep. The demand is outrageous.
The demand IS crazy high! I know just from looking for one! My dilemma though, is how would I transition from owning my dc (3-4 littles) to subbing? It's a big risk (financially) to close daycare without sub jobs lined up. Wondering too, what the difference in income would be.... Just throwing ideas around in my head...
Stephnrich 09:51 AM 05-15-2015
What do the subs get paid? I have one (unreliable) sub that I pay )$10 an hour right now.
Blackcat31 09:55 AM 05-15-2015
We have an ex provider that subs for all the other daycares in our county.

When she closed her child care, she submitted her name to our licensor and our licensor e-mailed all the providers in our county and gave out her contact info. She knows the ins and outs of child care as an ex provider (had been in business for 20 yrs) and kept current on her trainings.

Everyone paid her $10 per hour. She was paid as an independent contractor because it was her business to provide substitute care for other providers where as a private sub working only for you needs to be treated as an employee and have taxes withheld.

The lady in our area worked as many or as few hours/days as she wanted. I never used her because I have my own back up person but I do know she was called upon ALOT by other area providers.
DaveA 10:41 AM 05-15-2015
Originally Posted by Indianadaycare:
Dave, I've considered doing this actually instead of having my own daycare. How did you go about getting your name out there as a sub? I'm assuming you did not have your own dc at that point? In your experience, what were the pros/cons of both subbing and owning your own dc? Thanks!
Yes- I started subbing after a director who had hired me retired and the new director wanted me out (long story). Basically I started contacting centers and asked if they needed a sub. I had interviews with centers by the end of the week and was lined up for dates in 2 weeks. Directors talk a lot at meetings, with friends, etc., and by a couple of months in I was turning down centers. At the most I was a sub for 7 centers. I kept as busy as I wanted and could have easily filled 5-6 days a week. The reason I stopped was the center that paid the best offered me a 3 day/ week position that equaled FT $.

With home daycares I imagine you would need a few more unless some were regularly scheduled coverages. The good points were flexible schedule and variety of my day, not to mention plenty of chances to help family and still grow my craft work. I also really got to see all aspects of the child care industry really in depth. That was a big help when I started my own. The downsides were no guarantee of income (although like I said- I kept really busy), it required really organized scheduling, a lot of last minute requests, and coming into others classrooms & lessons plans (although I had a bag for each age group ready I used mostly). The only other times I didn't like it was some center's staff can be very insular and not very welcoming, especially if I was holding down a classroom after a firing till new teacher could start (happened a few times).

All in all it was a lot of fun and fit my family situation at the time. I enjoyed it.
DaveA 10:48 AM 05-15-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Everyone paid her $10 per hour. She was paid as an independent contractor because it was her business to provide substitute care for other providers where as a private sub working only for you needs to be treated as an employee and have taxes withheld.
Illinois wouldn't let me do that & believe me I tried. Even went up the DCFS ladder with no success. Sucks because I had a couple of other teachers I knew and trusted that wanted to do the same thing & ECE college students looking for PT work and child care experience. The market was there, untapped, and potentially huge, but we were told no. Still annoys me how difficult they made it.
biglou 04:43 PM 05-18-2015
have you considered a senior citizen or recent retiree looking to supplement their retirement income? Also, home health attendants make great candidates as well. both are generally looking for extra income to supplement their existing incomes. we have worked with both. if your concerned about a senior not being able to work long hours, then split the shift to two 4-hour shifts, after all, the more subs you have the better.

Big Lou
Reply Up