Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Child Capabilities vs Parents Expectations...
finsup 09:53 AM 01-31-2016
Dcb is almost 3. Dcm wants and expects things like worksheets etc to show he's "learning" I have explained about learning through play etc but well, she doesn't quite get it. I have given her more academic resources to look into and do at home with him since she was really pushing for that type of work. She still wants him to do it here too so I thought OK, not a huge deal. I homeschool my son who's doing pre-k, I'll adapt some of his stuff for this kiddo's level and have him work on it with my son. It's about half an hour out of our day and my son really enjoys it so hey maybe this kid will too. Problem is he refuses. Screams, cries, breaks crayons and is really not capable of any worksheets yet. Or typical 3 year old skills, he's more at a young 2 despite his age. I'd much rather let him play, do projects/art etc to help strengthen fine motor skills etc. But if I send him home with these projects its too "baby-ish." I can't even send him home with poorly attempted worksheets because he flat out refuses to do them. And absolutely cannot have him sitting at the table, crying, screaming etc as I try to homeschool.

So what do I do here? Do I keep pushing because dcm wants it? I'm leaning more towards just letting the kid play and say to you know what with the worksheets. She can find an academic program that better fits what she wants and let them handle it. But I'm curious to how others would handle this and maybe there's a middle ground somewhere?
daycare 10:31 AM 01-31-2016
I tell parents upon enrollment what the expectations are.

I show them what kids of this age group are developmentally ready for.

I go by abilities and interest not age.

Since I have a pre-kinder program I do a few worksheets here and there, but even still not like one would think when you think of school.

I would tell her I will offer plenty pf opportunities for him to learn to read and write but it will be at his interest. No one wants to be forced to do anything it wouldn't be beneficial to anyone.

The kids learn more through okay with Writing and reading incorporated into it.

Example we just had a full day of pizza shop play. I had play money and cash register. When the pretend phone rang someone would say 5 pizza please and the kids would do their best to write the order down. They loved it and they took on their own writing games while playing pizza shop.

I take tons of pics and post to our page. This is proof on itself plus the fact that the kids show their parents what they know. A piece of paper won't be the proof, it won't be fun, kids won't learn by sitting at a table writing because they have to. They will do it when they are interested and it's fun.

Do you tell parents anything at enrollment. ??
snbauser 10:31 AM 01-31-2016
I would not force the child to do them. Worksheets are not appropriate at that age. I honestly would tell mom that if that is the type of environment she is looking for that your program isn't a good fit since you will not do things that are not developmentally inappropriate.
finsup 10:49 AM 01-31-2016
Originally Posted by daycare:
I tell parents upon enrollment what the expectations are.

I show them what kids of this age group are developmentally ready for.

I go by abilities and interest not age.

Since I have a pre-kinder program I do a few worksheets here and there, but even still not like one would think when you think of school.

I would tell her I will offer plenty pf opportunities for him to learn to read and write but it will be at his interest. No one wants to be forced to do anything it wouldn't be beneficial to anyone.

The kids learn more through okay with Writing and reading incorporated into it.

Example we just had a full day of pizza shop play. I had play money and cash register. When the pretend phone rang someone would say 5 pizza please and the kids would do their best to write the order down. They loved it and they took on their own writing games while playing pizza shop.

I take tons of pics and post to our page. This is proof on itself plus the fact that the kids show their parents what they know. A piece of paper won't be the proof, it won't be fun, kids won't learn by sitting at a table writing because they have to. They will do it when they are interested and it's fun.

Do you tell parents anything at enrollment. ??
Well he was enrolled at 2 months old so its been a while lol. I do go over what I do, my philosophy, etc but at that time they were more concerned with infant practices. I do the same thing with photos. Even capture it with "here's what they're learning in this picture." But lately it hasn't been enough. They were fine with it until the last month or so
Pepperth 11:04 AM 01-31-2016
Originally Posted by finsup:
Well he was enrolled at 2 months old so its been a while lol. I do go over what I do, my philosophy, etc but at that time they were more concerned with infant practices. I do the same thing with photos. Even capture it with "here's what they're learning in this picture." But lately it hasn't been enough. They were fine with it until the last month or so
I wonder if she has a fear about his development that she is not vocalizing. Maybe that's why she's suddenly pushing the worksheets.
Thriftylady 11:19 AM 01-31-2016
I would just tell her that he is refusing, and try yet again to explain that worksheets do not show learning. I have a 4 yr old preschooler here, and we only do two worksheets a day. And those are only tracing and writing letters to get him using a writing utensil and hopefully learning his letters (which he doesn't seem to be grasping).
daycare 11:40 AM 01-31-2016
i think its just because parents just don't really know when a child is ready for this type of stuff.

they saw another child on FB that age doing it or on the Ellen show and now they think their kid has to be doing it too. They want their kid to be accomplished and they think that this is the way to do it. Little do they know it's not.

i would maybe find a few good articles, someone had a really good one ob here why play is so important. I would print that out and go over it with DCM.
CalCare 12:26 PM 01-31-2016
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...long-term-harm

http://educationnext.org/much-too-early/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...oung-children/

Here are some links to articles you can either email DCM or print and hand to her or print and have available for all dc parents to read, but leave at your house.

Worksheets are not considered developmentally appropriate in early care or education.

What I would do in order to keep her happy and so she knows there is learning taking place from play, is to take very specific pictures. Make poster boards with the pics. One could say in large print at the top:

How Do Children Learn MATH through Play?
"Young children are introduced to numbers by exposure to numbers in their environment and through practical uses- with and without adult direction. They are introduced to number operations through sorting, patterning, and grouping, at their own will, while playing. Because children learn and retain new information best if they seek it themselves, learning through play is best. Adults are here to create the environment and materials that best present opportunities for the children to learn through play. Having access to materials such as building blocks let the children experiment with size, shape, weight and balance. Having numbers in the environment in labels, walls, puzzles and books exposes children to the visual representation of the number and when the time comes for formal lessons, children are familiar and comfortable with them. Adults in the environment provide number exposure through conversation and simple practical tasks too, as children are asked to set the table with 4 napkins or to each pick up and put away 5 toys. Occasional adult directed activities such as a cooking project where the children measure, pour and mix, teach children about using numbers in everyday ways."

glue four pictures of children using math in play, teacher led activities, and everyday uses. Then subtitle it for example:

Jennifer and Max sorting little people by height. Jennifer commented "The little boy is small, The daddy is big". Comparing and contrasting heights is early geometry in action!

Max found all the squares in the magnatiles. More geometry, distinguishing shapes.

Jennifer poured the 2 Cups of flour for our bread. She was pleased with the result when the bread was tasted at snack time. We all thanked Jennifer for her careful measuring because it made the bread delicious! Using measuring tools and reading recipes ingrains a sense of real purpose and value in using numbers.

etc!

Make one for Math, Literacy, Creativity and physical development.

Take a lot of pictures, but take them with a plan. Don't bother with doing pics pointlessly and trying to think of what to write with it.

If you don't want to make your home look tacky and center-ish just put them up for a week and then put them away for awhile, or put one up at a time in your parent sign in spot if you have one.

Good Luck.
ps I just randomly wrote all this, don't feel bad saying so to me, if you don't like it at all lol I know everyone likes to do their own thing
Thriftylady 12:36 PM 01-31-2016
Originally Posted by CalCare:

Here are some links to articles you can either email DCM or print and hand to her or print and have available for all dc parents to read, but leave at your house.

Worksheets are not considered developmentally appropriate in early care or education.

What I would do in order to keep her happy and so she knows there is learning taking place from play, is to take very specific pictures. Make poster boards with the pics. One could say in large print at the top:

"Young children are introduced to numbers by exposure to numbers in their environment and through practical uses- with and without adult direction. They are introduced to number operations through sorting, patterning, and grouping, at their own will, while playing. Because children learn and retain new information best if they seek it themselves, learning through play is best. Adults are here to create the environment and materials that best present opportunities for the children to learn through play. Having access to materials such as building blocks let the children experiment with size, shape, weight and balance. Having numbers in the environment in labels, walls, puzzles and books exposes children to the visual representation of the number and when the time comes for formal lessons, children are familiar and comfortable with them. Adults in the environment provide number exposure through conversation and simple practical tasks too, as children are asked to set the table with 4 napkins or to each pick up and put away 5 toys. Occasional adult directed activities such as a cooking project where the children measure, pour and mix, teach children about using numbers in everyday ways."

glue four pictures of children using math in play, teacher led activities, and everyday uses. Then subtitle it for example:

Jennifer and Max sorting little people by height. Jennifer commented "The little boy is small, The daddy is big". Comparing and contrasting heights is early geometry in action!

Max found all the squares in the magnatiles. More geometry, distinguishing shapes.

Jennifer poured the 2 Cups of flour for our bread. She was pleased with the result when the bread was tasted at snack time. We all thanked Jennifer for her careful measuring because it made the bread delicious! Using measuring tools and reading recipes ingrains a sense of real purpose and value in using numbers.

etc!

Take a lot of pictures, but take them with a plan. Don't bother with doing pics pointlessly and trying to think of what to write with it.

If you don't want to make your home look tacky and center-ish just put them up for a week and then put them away for awhile, or put one up at a time in your parent sign in spot if you have one.

Good Luck.
ps I just randomly wrote all this, don't feel bad saying so to me, if you don't like it at all lol I know everyone likes to do their own thing
I don't know about the OP, but I love what you wrote! MORE, MORE!!!! I would have personally never thought to write it out like that do you mind if I use this idea?
CalCare 01:03 PM 01-31-2016
Oh thanks Of course I don't mind. I can write a literacy one in a bit
Blackcat31 01:38 PM 01-31-2016
What is mom doing with him at home?
Nurse Jackie 01:43 PM 01-31-2016

etc!

Good Luck.
Thanks for the great information
mommyneedsadayoff 02:23 PM 01-31-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My question too!
CalCare 02:45 PM 01-31-2016
How Do Children Learn LITERACY Through Play?

Children learn early literacy skills (receptive and expressive language) through play by exploring and discovering symbols and letters as well as developing the muscles needed to write. Here, the environment and materials are designed to foster those explorations and muscle development. Children develop muscles in the hands and fingers by manipulating playdoh. By squeezing, twisting and shaping the dough in their hands, they are training themselves to hold pencils and pens. By looking at books with others and on their own, they learn the abstract idea of what written language means and how it can be used- creating an interest and desire to join the rest of the literate world. Has your child ever asked, "What does that say"? By answering questions and talking about reading and writing in every day uses, adults can contribute to children's knowledge and interest in a low pressure way.

picture of kids with books, playdoh, hands in mud, hands in goo, child doing puzzle that has letters, child building with letter blocks, fridge magnet letters, floating letters in water table.

Sally and nick are squeezing the goop through their fingers. As she experiments with the thickness, the weight, and the stretch of the goop, Sally is developing fine motor skills to someday use when writing.

Nick is placing letter magnets in rows on the pan. He asked me what many of the combos said- "What word is this? What about this". Nick is learning that different letters make different words while developing intrinsic motivation to learn to read- for himself, not for a teacher or a mom or praise, or a treat! He just finds it neat and wants to know more!

ha idk! gotta get back to momming
Josiegirl 03:01 PM 01-31-2016
Calcare, that is good stuff!!
Thanks for sharing! I'll have to definitely start thinking of sharing what we do here on those terms! I've got some great parents as far as not wanting to push academics on their little ones too early. But this is still great to show the dcps the benefits they're getting from what we do.

It frustrates me to no end that little kids, just barely out of the baby-toddler stage are expected to do worksheets and things like that. Do it this way, do it that way. There goes all their little imaginative creative thinking skills right out the door, not to mention all kids learn at their own rate in their own way. Talk about stunting a child's academic growth by stifling their curiosity and taking all the fun out of it.
And we still hear people brag of how their child learned to read at 3. So what??? Be proud of your child for who he is not for how much he can do. Or they will always strive to please you with no clue of what makes them truly special or happy.
Josiegirl 03:05 PM 01-31-2016
[quote=CalCare;575011]
He just finds it neat and wants to know more!

And THAT right there says it all!! If it's fun, they will want to know more. If it's forced what is fun about it?
It reminds me of simply learning stuff in school so you could pass the test. It was boring so what do you remember? Hardly anything. If it had been fun and absorbing along the way it would have made an impression.
finsup 05:35 PM 01-31-2016

etc!

Good Luck.
Thank you!! I have done wording like that for pictures before but mostly sporadically. I think this week I'll focus on documenting our week and all the learning that happens during play. Love the links too, I can see a busy Facebook week and handouts going home this week lol.
finsup 05:38 PM 01-31-2016
Oh they've been too sick to do anything except let him play on his tablet Seriously. At least they were honest with me about what he's done lately? Lol. I suspect that could be part of it, wanting me to do the "work" they think he should be doing so they don't have to.
finsup 05:43 PM 01-31-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I would just tell her that he is refusing, and try yet again to explain that worksheets do not show learning. I have a 4 yr old preschooler here, and we only do two worksheets a day. And those are only tracing and writing letters to get him using a writing utensil and hopefully learning his letters (which he doesn't seem to be grasping).
Yup my 4.5 year old does worksheets because he loves them for some odd reason lol. And hes really proud of himself when he completes thjem so I'm like sure, have at it. As for letters, I've worked with kiddos in the past who really struggled with them and having them use their whole body to do the letter really helped. Think writing an A in the snow with a big stick or having a child lay in the C shape outside while another one traced them with chalk. Not sure if you've tried that but it helped bring a lot of kindergartners up to where the school wanted them to be by the end of the year.
finsup 05:49 PM 01-31-2016
Originally Posted by Pepperth:
I wonder if she has a fear about his development that she is not vocalizing. Maybe that's why she's suddenly pushing the worksheets.
I think this is definitely part of it too. She's been worried lately, and I'm guessing comparing her child to others. He is on the low end for his age but no major red flags yet. In this area "preschool" is becoming this huge deal. Like if you don't do it your going to ruin your child's education for the rest of their life
spedmommy4 10:18 PM 01-31-2016
I love calcares posts; they are spot on. . Play is a child's work. I found one more article on preschool and worksheets to add to the list: http://www.isbe.net/earlychi/prescho...s-brochure.pdf
laundrymom 06:02 AM 02-01-2016
I would reinforce the "learn through a variety of daily play activities" and encourage them to enrich their own environment and add in worksheets or other "school aged" activities as they see fit. However, you are limited to developmentally appropriate activities and can't force him to memorize facts at childcare.
mommyneedsadayoff 06:08 AM 02-01-2016
Oh they've been too sick to do anything except let him play on his tablet Seriously. At least they were honest with me about what he's done lately? Lol. I suspect that could be part of it, wanting me to do the "work" they think he should be doing so they don't have to.
Sounds like they want you to make up for them having no interaction with them at home. I have no problem working WITH parents, but I am not going to do extra work so they can go home and park him in front of the tablet I would say no to extra work, but would send home the worksheets or color sheets so mom and dad can have some bonding time with him while doing themy together.
Blackcat31 06:41 AM 02-01-2016
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
Sounds like they want you to make up for them having no interaction with them at home. I have no problem working WITH parents, but I am not going to do extra work so they can go home and park him in front of the tablet I would say no to extra work, but would send home the worksheets or color sheets so mom and dad can have some bonding time with him while doing themy together.
This ^^

I TOTALLY understand and support the info posted about learning through play but it really doesn't answer OP's issue which is that the parents expect her to do ALL the work while child plays at home. So NOT okay in my book...

If they are paying her to be a child CARE provider then she is only obligated to provide care. The learning happens naturally through the play she offers.

If they want brick and mortar preschool with work sheets and report cards then they need to pay for that or do it on THEIR time if that is what they truly think early childhood education is.
daycare 07:35 AM 02-01-2016
This ^^

I TOTALLY understand and support the info posted about learning through play but it really doesn't answer OP's issue which is that the parents expect her to do ALL the work while child plays at home. So NOT okay in my book...

If they are paying her to be a child CARE provider then she is only obligated to provide care. The learning happens naturally through the play she offers.

If they want brick and mortar preschool with work sheets and report cards then they need to pay for that or do it on THEIR time if that is what they truly think early childhood education is.
I like this idea. Then the dcm can see just how much JR. is NOT interested in doing those work sheets.
CalCare 09:10 AM 02-01-2016
I think a lot of it is confusion about what all these various types of programs do. I mean if you call yourself a teacher or say you have educational activities or mention child development or anything about preschool, some parents think that means worksheets. The parents just don't know. And, really how could they? When two fcc programs can be so very different, as we all know very well! Some who commented here do worksheets, some think its absurd. How would a parent magically know which way you run your program- without asking? And when they are answered and they don't agree and continue to ask and request it, its not their fault that a provider goes back and forth on it. Provider makes them think it should be done and for some reason it just isn't being done.

And, then in their defense, why would they do any of it at home? It doesn't make sense from the perspective of them thinking its what you do. They see you as a professional and its your job. Like if i took my car to get painted and they are all, 'well did you prime it at least at home!?' And i'd be like 'What the hell are you talking about!? I dont know the first thing about painting a car! Why would i have done it at home!?' Lol and yes, you are thinking, this isn't a car, this is their child calcare! But I truely believe these parents make these requests out if concern for what is best for their kids and simply are not childcare pros so they don't know what is best, what to expect from a program, what to expect that their child should be able to do, etc.

And parents, how would they know you only intend to be a safe place to care for the child but no intentions of providing any education. Well, you say, 'no, I don't claim to provide NO education, just not worksheets'. Well, since the parents don't know that there is education that is not worksheets', we just have to let them know. One way could be these posters I recommended. Or provide them the articles that I gave links to. Or just straight up tell them to their faces! I am providing excellent educational experiences here- through play. Play is how they learn... The parents just don't know.
Blackcat31 09:26 AM 02-01-2016
I think a lot of it is confusion about what all these various types of programs do. I mean if you call yourself a teacher or say you have educational activities or mention child development or anything about preschool, some parents think that means worksheets. The parents just don't know. And, really how could they? When two fcc programs can be so very different, as we all know very well! Some who commented here do worksheets, some think its absurd. How would a parent magically know which way you run your program- without asking? And when they are answered and they don't agree and continue to ask and request it, its not their fault that a provider goes back and forth on it. Provider makes them think it should be done and for some reason it just isn't being done.

And, then in their defense, why would they do any of it at home? It doesn't make sense from the perspective of them thinking its what you do. They see you as a professional and its your job. Like if i took my car to get painted and they are all, 'well did you prime it at least at home!?' And i'd be like 'What the hell are you talking about!? I dont know the first thing about painting a car! Why would i have done it at home!?' Lol and yes, you are thinking, this isn't a car, this is their child calcare! But I truely believe these parents make these requests out if concern for what is best for their kids and simply are not childcare pros so they don't know what is best, what to expect from a program, what to expect that their child should be able to do, etc.

And parents, how would they know you only intend to be a safe place to care for the child but no intentions of providing any education. Well, you say, 'no, I don't claim to provide NO education, just not worksheets'. Well, since the parents don't know that there is education that is not worksheets', we just have to let them know. One way could be these posters I recommended. Or provide them the articles that I gave links to. Or just straight up tell them to their faces! I am providing excellent educational experiences here- through play. Play is how they learn... The parents just don't know.
Because all of that should be covered in the interview BEFORE enrollment.

Parents and providers should never sign a contract for anything unless BOTH parties understand what the other will or wont be responsible for doing and how.
CalCare 09:46 AM 02-01-2016
For sure
Unregistered 10:38 AM 02-01-2016
Yeah.... if you want to offer worksheets and he refuses then send home the worksheets.
MunchkinWrangler 11:05 AM 02-01-2016
This one is a hard issue for me as well. It's society that's the problem, really. I had a parent who was a teacher who expected me to do circle time with her 10 month old. Like go over the alphabet, teach him songs, colors, shapes, etc. I had infants only at the time and my DS. I told her that a 10 month old is more interested in climbing on things and crawling all over the house and could care less if I was teaching that or not. She was shocked and mentioned that I said I offered a preschool time. I don't think she understood PRESCHOOL. I laughed and said it wasn't age appropriate, I wasn't surprised when she termed. Good luck with that!
Controlled Chaos 12:36 PM 02-01-2016
I send home a monthly newsletter that breaks down the learning through the play for parents. I would never do more worksheet per parent request! There's just no way. I did just add a ball tossing center and some heavy boxes in the post office dramatic play area after a chat with their child's behavior issues - he needs to kick and throw more and is doing so inappropriately as we have been cooped up inside too much - but that was problem solving within the realm of developmentally appropriate

Newsletter example:
This month’s theme is Love. We will be focusing on acts of kindness.
Literacy: We will be focusing on the letters V, X and O¬¬
Science: The children will experiment mixing colors using paint, food coloring and play-doh. For Groundhog’s Day we will play with flashlights to learn about shadows.
Math: We will play with items that are small, medium and large of varying weights. The children will practice number identification with a ball toss game.
Ariana 01:50 PM 02-01-2016
I run a play based program. I don't even allow "worksheets" to be mentioned by anyone in my home Research proves time and time again that kids need play to succeed. These parents are ridiculous and I would just tell them my program is not right for them. Find someone else to torture your kid.
finsup 05:37 PM 02-01-2016
I did/am doing a bit of all the suggestions here. I am taking time of photos during play etc and explain how kids are learning. I do think that's important to explain to parents because they don't always understand it. I do find myself getting frustrated because I hear the "yes, but..." Or "oh thats so true, but..." Over and over. But maybe one of these days enough "proof" will make it sink in.
But I'm not making him do the worksheets. Just sent a note explaing he was showing increasing frustration and stress when doing them and we could revisit it here as he gets older. If she wanted to attempt at home to check out the dollar store for worksheets and to keep me updated on how progress at home is going.
They may term or send him to "real" preschool but oh well. Pushing him to do work he is not capable of or ready for at all isn't fair to anyone. Thank you everyone!
Thriftylady 05:58 PM 02-01-2016
I did/am doing a bit of all the suggestions here. I am taking time of photos during play etc and explain how kids are learning. I do think that's important to explain to parents because they don't always understand it. I do find myself getting frustrated because I hear the "yes, but..." Or "oh thats so true, but..." Over and over. But maybe one of these days enough "proof" will make it sink in.
But I'm not making him do the worksheets. Just sent a note explaing he was showing increasing frustration and stress when doing them and we could revisit it here as he gets older. If she wanted to attempt at home to check out the dollar store for worksheets and to keep me updated on how progress at home is going.
They may term or send him to "real" preschool but oh well. Pushing him to do work he is not capable of or ready for at all isn't fair to anyone. Thank you everyone!
I tell all my parents at interview that much is learned through play and that forcing a child to do preschool work and them getting frustrated and angry defeats the purpose. Maybe you could tell them that, that his frustration makes him unable to learn.
Josiegirl 02:15 AM 02-02-2016
It's ironic but both my dds went to preschool. Back then it was only 2-3 mornings a week, a very nice stepping stone to Kindergarten. But I don't remember them ever bringing home 1 worksheet. They basically did the same thing I do here, practice their pre-literacy and pre-math skills, work on fine and large motor skills, etc. The main reason I sent both my dds was the socialization aspect of it. But of course education is changing so is this now a common practice...to send home worksheets??
Thriftylady 06:51 AM 02-02-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
It's ironic but both my dds went to preschool. Back then it was only 2-3 mornings a week, a very nice stepping stone to Kindergarten. But I don't remember them ever bringing home 1 worksheet. They basically did the same thing I do here, practice their pre-literacy and pre-math skills, work on fine and large motor skills, etc. The main reason I sent both my dds was the socialization aspect of it. But of course education is changing so is this now a common practice...to send home worksheets??
Well I do know that kindergarten seems to require more and more each year. DH and I have talked about it seems they want parents to do what teachers used to do. I don't think it is because teachers aren't wanting to teach, but with all the darn standardized tests and such I think their time to teach has been cut short. So, parents are having to make up for that. I know even our Kindy and first graders do some testing here, I think that is part of the issue.
Tags:learning, learning categories, learning methods, milestones, worksheet
Reply Up