Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Casserole/Large Meals
gbcc 07:03 PM 02-18-2010
To go along with my last post about my large eater, I am trying to prepare myself for summer vacation. I was hoping we could all post some recipes here to feed a large amount of children without hurting our grocery budget! I will have about 12 daycare children plus two of my own. Feeding chicken nuggets, hamburgers ect will get expensive by the end of summer! The only meals I can really come up with are speghetti/meatballs, goulosh, and baked ziti. Any other suggestions?
Former Teacher 07:29 PM 02-18-2010
We use to serve Tuna Noodle Casserole. It was SO good that I make it for myself and my husband. Here is the recipe. I wish I can give you measurements but it is a female family trait (grandmother and mother and now me) that we don't measure. Sometimes we do it the Rachael Ray's way and use our hands! Anyway, this dish is wonderful. This is how I make mine.

Package of noodles
Tuna (I like the kind in the package so you dont have to drain)
1 large can of cream of mushroom
1 small can of cheddar cheese soup
Shredded cheese
Salt and pepper

Preheat oven 350. Cook noodles and drain. Mix noodles, tuna, COM, CCS and s and p. Place in a prepared baking dish. Top with shredded cheese. Bake for 15 mins.

Enjoy!
Former Teacher 07:30 PM 02-18-2010
P.S. If you or anyone is interested in my brother in laws Chicken Spaghetti...oh my gosh! That is delish!

~hugs!~
Michael 10:03 PM 02-18-2010
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:
P.S. If you or anyone is interested in my brother in laws Chicken Spaghetti...oh my gosh! That is delish!

~hugs!~
Please do!
booroo 05:26 AM 02-19-2010
Cassaroles are just food threwning together. So just things of stuff you can put together.

I do a chicken pot pie.

Its left over chicken, frozen vegtables, chicken stock and then biscuits. I make my own, but you can buy them. Then I just cook. I cook the mixture for awhile before putting the biscuits on.
gbcc 12:46 PM 02-19-2010
Does anyone have a good recipe for shepherds pie?
GretasLittleFriends 02:36 PM 02-19-2010
I have a shepard's pie recipe that my kids and dc kids just love, but it's not traditional...

1lb ground beef (turkey or pork)
3 cans tomato soup
1Tbsp Italian seasoning
1tsp oregano
2 cans green beans*
1 can corn*
desired amount mashed potatoes*
desired amount of shredded cheese*

I usually double the recipe and cook in a 10x14 lasanga pan.

* I usually use ~2 cups frozen veggie mix (or 4c if doubling).
*I use about 3-4 cups of mashed potatoes. If I don't double the recipe I still use lots of potatoes.
*I have no idea how much shredded cheddar I use, maybe 1-2 cups depending on if I double or not.

Brown meat; drain off fat. Add tomato soup and seasonings. Simmer 5 mins. Add veggies (if frozen I add when I add the soup so they cook longer.)

Put in baking dish, top with mashed potatoes. Bake at 350 for 20 mins or until bubbly. Serve topped with cheese.
gbcc 02:47 PM 02-19-2010
That sounds good. Thank you. I will give it a try
Tags:meals
Reply Up