Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
View Poll Results: How do you charge and get paid?
hourly 11 8.27%
daily 18 13.53%
weekly 94 70.68%
combination 16 12.03%
pre paid 78 58.65%
post paid 17 12.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Rates and Payments
Blackcat31 08:32 AM 08-18-2011
I've seen so many questions lately about rates and payments. I know when I first opened pre-paid daycare was rare. Now it seems to be the norm. So to cure my curiosity....

Do you charge hourly, daily weekly or a combination?

Are you pre-paid or post paid?

Please choose only one rate option and one payment option. I couldn't separate into two polls on one thread so I combined them. Thanks everyone.
DCMom 08:38 AM 08-18-2011
I charge regular weekly rates and payments are due on Monday morning for that week (or the first day of care that week). I've never had a problem or anyone paying later than Monday at pick up.

I don't do drop in and part-time is set days each week.
PitterPatter 08:40 AM 08-18-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I've seen so many questions lately about rates and payments. I know when I first opened pre-paid daycare was rare. Now it seems to be the norm. So to cure my curiosity....

Please choose only one rate option and one payment option. I couldn't separate into two polls on one thread so I combined them. Thanks everyone.
I marked daily but let me clairify. I have all state paid clients so I get paid $20 for the day as long as they are here atleast 4 hrs. But I only get that pay once per month at the beginning of the next month. If they have a co-pay I collect that after 2 weeks, every 2 weeks, if they have it to pay. hth
godiva83 08:42 AM 08-18-2011
I charge a minimum of 3 days for P/T
And most parents pre- pay bi- weekly with the exception of one family whom pay weekly- which works out amazing
Cat Herder 09:07 AM 08-18-2011
I know when I first opened pre-paid daycare was rare. Now it seems to be the norm.
It was when I first opened, too.

Handling it with parents required a little skill, humor and technique.

I always just made a joke about how the "other" people out there who would trust me with their CHILD but not $100 always cracked me up.

When it was about the "other" folks they quickly agreed with me and laughed, too.

No problems after that.
Mom&Provider 09:20 AM 08-18-2011
I charge weekly, parents pay on the first day of care for their child of every new week...so in a way I get paid in advance!
Country Kids 09:24 AM 08-18-2011
I just wrestled with this question when making my new contract! I stuck with hourly because most of my kids are 5 days a week full time. We figured I would be losing money doing a daily or weekly rate for what I make charging hourly.

Also, another thread had me thinking. I do have all my children most of the day so if a parent is going to run errands, appointments, etc. while the child is here there bill just keeps going up, up, up the longer they are gone.

My parents also pay me for services already rendered and I have never, ever had a problem with it and with me doing hourly that is the only way to bill so that you can collect for all hours used. I figure all my bills are due once a month after I have used the services why would childcare be different. I don't know of anything I pay bill wise that would be do before I use it.
GretasLittleFriends 09:53 AM 08-18-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I just wrestled with this question when making my new contract! I stuck with hourly because most of my kids are 5 days a week full time. We figured I would be losing money doing a daily or weekly rate for what I make charging hourly.

Also, another thread had me thinking. I do have all my children most of the day so if a parent is going to run errands, appointments, etc. while the child is here there bill just keeps going up, up, up the longer they are gone.

My parents also pay me for services already rendered and I have never, ever had a problem with it and with me doing hourly that is the only way to bill so that you can collect for all hours used. I figure all my bills are due once a month after I have used the services why would childcare be different. I don't know of anything I pay bill wise that would be do before I use it.
What she said^^

Plus, I also figure it's more of an incentive to spend their time off with their children instead of the mind-set "Well I'm already paying, so why not use it."

And when I voted, I clicked hourly, but forgot to click post paid.
e.j. 10:55 AM 08-18-2011
I charge hourly but they pre-pay weekly on Monday or on the first day of the week they are scheduled for care.
KEG123 11:04 AM 08-18-2011
Parents pay on Fridays for the upcoming week's care.
littlemommy 11:05 AM 08-18-2011
Originally Posted by GretasLittleFriends:
What she said^^

Plus, I also figure it's more of an incentive to spend their time off with their children instead of the mind-set "Well I'm already paying, so why not use it."

And when I voted, I clicked hourly, but forgot to click post paid.
This is why I'm sticking with hourly. I get paid on the last day of care for the week.
Meyou 12:34 PM 08-18-2011
I have two weekly rates. One for 4 days per week or less and one for five days a week. It's due Fridays for the next week in cash.

I do a bit of drop in care as well. For that they pay in the morning when they drop off each day they are here.
MarinaVanessa 03:36 PM 04-03-2013
I charge in a variety of ways depending on what kind of client I have...

hourly: For my drop-in hourly clients (if they only need a few hours of care.
daily: For my drop-in daily clients (if they need a full day of care)
weekly: Both my FT and PT clients pay a flat weekly rate. My FT clients needing 3-4 days a peek pay the same rate ($165). My PT clients are charged based on a set schedule depending on the hours of care they need (like Nan's fee schedule) and then they pay that same flat amount each week.
pre paid: All of my clients pay before I will provide child care. FT and PT clients pay in advance for the following week of care on the last day of their child's attendance the week previous. Drop-in clients pay me no later than when they drop-off their child.
Starburst 04:12 PM 04-03-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I charge in a variety of ways depending on what kind of client I have...

hourly: For my drop-in hourly clients (if they only need a few hours of care.
daily: For my drop-in daily clients (if they need a full day of care)
weekly: Both my FT and PT clients pay a flat weekly rate. My FT clients needing 3-4 days a week pay the same rate ($165). My PT clients are charged based on a set schedule depending on the hours of care they need (like Nan's fee schedule) and then they pay that same flat amount each week.
pre paid: All of my clients pay before I will provide child care. FT and PT clients pay in advance for the following week of care on the last day of their child's attendance the week previous. Drop-in clients pay me no later than when they drop-off their child.
I keeping going back and forth between whether or not I should charge a daily rate or a flat weekly rate for PT/FT but the director of my school's child care center says it's better to charge a weekly rate for regular care because sometimes if you charge per day they try to get out of paying for an absent day- especially if they are on substidized because the program will try to get out of paying for the day. And I am definately going to require pre-payment- I never even thought of that before I joined this forum.
AmyKidsCo 04:33 PM 04-03-2013
I have hourly rates for before/after school
Half-day rates for Kindergarten (although I've never had any)
Daily for part-time (less than 25 hours)
Weekly for full-time (25 hours or more)

Tuition is due the Thursday before the week of care. I have 1 family who pays weekly, 1 that pays every 2 weeks and 1 that pays monthly.
mamac 04:57 PM 04-03-2013
I voted weekly and pre-paid. I plan on being paid one week of tuition at sign up and then payments are due every Fri (or last day of care) before care is provided.

I have PT and FT weekly rates, but I also offer Drop-in Care at a daily/half day rate (paid at drop off) and Before/After School care which will be calculated hourly but paid on a weekly basis before care is provided. (like PT/FT)

Before joining this forum I had planned on getting paid every Fri with no pre-payment. Glad I found this place!!!
Little Star75 05:00 PM 04-03-2013

I charge pre paid and paid weekly
MarinaVanessa 05:05 PM 04-03-2013
Originally Posted by Starburst:
I keeping going back and forth between whether or not I should charge a daily rate or a flat weekly rate for PT/FT but the director of my school's child care center says it's better to charge a weekly rate for regular care because sometimes if you charge per day they try to get out of paying for the day for an absent day- espeuslally if they are on substidized because the program will try to get out of paying for the day. And I am definately require pre-payment.
Charging a flat fee for FT and PT clients is the way to go if you want to avoid those issues you said. They pay the same amount each week whether they attend or not, otherwise consider them drop-in clients and charge them daily/hourly for the time that they actually use with the understanding that their spot is not guaranteed. I allow my drop-in clients to call me in advance (usually the previous week) to ask for my availability and then they reserve their days but I have a "first-pay-first-serve" policy and don't consider it reserved unless the days have been paid for. They pay for the days in advance if they want them guaranteed and there are no refunds if they change their minds later and can't make it.
Starburst 05:06 PM 04-03-2013
Originally Posted by mamac:
I voted weekly and pre-paid. I plan on being paid one week of tuition at sign up and then payments are due every Fri (or last day of care) before care is provided.

I have PT and FT weekly rates, but I also offer Drop-in Care at a daily/half day rate (paid at drop off) and Before/After School care which will be calculated hourly but paid on a weekly basis before care is provided. (like PT/FT)

Before joining this forum I had planned on getting paid every Fri with no pre-payment. Glad I found this place!!!
me too because like you said I didn't know you could do pre-payment before this site. I also plan on during enrollment charging for the first week of pay but I think I am also going to charge a small yearly registration fee as well as the last week deposit before enrollment (or an option of an extra fee the first few weeks to cover the last week deposit)
KDC 05:15 PM 04-03-2013
I charge a daily rate, they pay weekly. End of week payment for following week of care.

Friday, March 29th - paid
$$ is applied for the week April 1-5

They pay for the spot, not the care. So, if they are not there -- they still pay. I do reduce attendance to 2 days a week for summer for teachers (used to not charge at all, and all the teachers flocked to me, and I found myself unemployed for summers -- nice break, but couldn't afford it).

I charge for breaks, as I don't have all teachers and I'm still working those days. When they first started with me, they didn't use me - keep their child home with them. After awhile, it changed... spa days, "Dr. Appt's" lunches with friends, errands... and I quickly do not feel guilty for charging. rolleyes: It's paid for them, and they enjoy having some time to themselves.

I wrote in 2 sick/personal days & 1 educational day. I try as best as I can to be available and limit any unplanned days off. Therefore, if I take the occasional day, it's rarely 'counted'. I do have 2 vacations/year... adds up to probably a week total.
Willow 06:12 PM 04-03-2013
I charge hourly and only for time I actually work. Parents pay me every two weeks, after care has been provided.

I don't have problems getting paid or parents leaving their children with me when they don't actually need care to work.

I have a wait list and the luxury of being incredibly choosy with my families I think because parents view my policies as fair. They also rarely if ever test the boundaries of my policies because they know there are 10 other families just waiting for them to flub and steal their spots lol

I don't do part time or drop in care or charge enrollment or activity fees.
LK5kids 06:37 PM 04-03-2013
Hourly...but going to xxxxx amount per day if I stay in the business. Parents pay me at the end of the week. I have never had problems......hopefully I never do.
TheirEmi 06:36 AM 04-04-2013
I get paid monthly at the beginning of the month.
melilley 10:26 AM 04-04-2013
I charge a flat weekly rate and a daily rate. Full time families (5 days a week) pay a flat weekly rate. Part time is charged a flat daily fee and I have a two day minimum. My parents pay either the Friday before care begins for the next week or on that Monday that care begins, depending on the family and when they can pay, but it's always before care begins for the week.
originalkat 10:54 AM 04-04-2013
I charge monthly.
canadiancare 10:57 AM 04-04-2013
I do post because I don't charge if I am sick (haven't missed a day since I had a kidney stone in 2007 but just in case).
I have one parent who pays me at the beginning of the month and says she doesn't care if I take a sick day here and there.
LaLa1923 12:28 PM 04-04-2013
Originally Posted by Country Kids:

But how much do you charge? I'd love to charge hourly but no one does that here...
LaLa1923 12:42 PM 04-04-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
I charge hourly and only for time I actually work. Parents pay me every two weeks, after care has been provided.

I don't have problems getting paid or parents leaving their children with me when they don't actually need care to work.

I have a wait list and the luxury of being incredibly choosy with my families I think because parents view my policies as fair. They also rarely if ever test the boundaries of my policies because they know there are 10 other families just waiting for them to flub and steal their spots lol

I don't do part time or drop in care or charge enrollment or activity fees.
I've considered this.....BUT, what do you do if you have a family that just tells you last min they don't need you? Then your out of an income? I have a feeling this would happen around here, and then I'd also not get paid for my holidays or vacations..
MCC 01:16 PM 04-04-2013
I charge bi-weekly in advance. Parents pay by direct deposit, I try to discourage checks, but I will take them. I do not take cash.

I recently have gotten a lot of part timers and they pay per day up to 3 days, and then for the week if it's 4 or more. My daily rate is the same as my weekly rate divided by 5, but I'm thinking of changing it to discourage the amount of part timers.
TheirEmi 01:28 PM 04-04-2013
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:
But how much do you charge? I'd love to charge hourly but no one does that here...
I'm paid 1000/mo/baby ( only 2 babies)
MotherNature 08:47 PM 04-04-2013
I charged by the amount of days & hrs & got paid the Friday at the end of the week for the past 7 months I've been open. I just changed my contract & instituted a handbook on the 1st that requires pay in advance, a 2 wk deposit ( I waived that for my current family.), & I get paid weekly, regardless of hrs. You're here Tuesday for 2 hrs or 8 hrs..same to my paycheck.
GoodKarma 01:15 PM 04-05-2013
I get paid the Friday before care. I charge a weekly rate, but they can pay for as many weeks as they want ( in advance). One parent usually pays for 2 weeks at a time.
Country Kids 01:21 PM 04-05-2013
My last was $2.65 an hour.

I know do daily now and much easier to figure out at billing time.

With some clients I am making more money, some I lose money but in the end it pretty much evens out.
daycare123 01:22 PM 04-05-2013
I chose weekly paid for the most part. One family pays on Friday for the upcoming week. One family pays for the week anywhere from Tuesday-Thursday of the week, and one family pays Friday for care already provided for the week. I have never had anyone not pay me and I am flexible as to what works best for them. I don't care as long as I get paid every week.
jenn 02:32 PM 04-05-2013
I charge the same daily rate for full time and part time. I charge a minimum of 3 days of pay for part time.

My families pay at the end of the week. I have not had problems with this, but I sure understand why pre pay is the norm. My parents get a set amount of "free days", so if they pay ahead and then use an unexpected free day, they end up with a credit. I don't want to refund or keep track of credits. (My daughter has health issues, so I am extra picky about sickness of any kind. I give some free days, because there are days that the DCK's would be fine to go to another daycare, but I don't allow them due to her condition.)

Drop ins pay an hourly rate and pay prior to care.
Willow 04:32 PM 04-05-2013
I've considered this.....BUT, what do you do if you have a family that just tells you last min they don't need you? Then your out of an income? I have a feeling this would happen around here, and then I'd also not get paid for my holidays or vacations..
I only take families where both parents work or are in school. Helps weed out those who have the opportunity to take all kinds of days off.

If someone falls ill or something I charge enough and live within enough within my means enough to have a bit of wiggle room. On the off chance kids happen to say go spend the week at grandma's I give two weeks annually where attendance can fall below twenty hours per child per week, and then I charge a 20 hour per child per week minimum (although I have yet to actually ever charge that).

The security charging parents in a way they feel is fair keeps me filled to my desired capacity and my wait list prevents any lapses. I'd rather have it this way than be dealing with unhappy*bucky about payment families and repeated interviews with no bites because prospectives don't think my payment policies are reasonable
Tags:payday, payment options, payments, poll
Reply Up