Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Just a Couple DCKs or Larger Group?
Unregistered 12:43 PM 08-18-2015
Hello there I'm looking for some advice. I did register at one time but I could not remember password. Anyway, I have a small in home daycare with only one enrolled, a second starting next week. My daughter is 2 and the little boy I have enrolled is 17 months old. The baby starting next week is 8 months old. I was going to just stick with that group but I'm wondering if adding another child or 2 would work better. My daughter and the 17 month old do not get along well. He will not leave her alone and she is not very tolerant. He also constantly wants to be held lately. It's hard to do much with them. Do you think if I had a larger group they would join along more in activities and such? Maybe it's just their personalities or ages. Any thoughts?
finsup 12:49 PM 08-18-2015
It could go one of two ways...either more would change it to a more managble dynamic or it would get worse I personally keep my group small as that's what works best for me and its a huge selling point for families in this area. See what happens when you add the baby and decide from there
Unregistered 12:52 PM 08-18-2015
Thanks! Good idea. I guess it is hard to say really and all depends on the individual kiddos.
LysesKids 01:02 PM 08-18-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hello there I'm looking for some advice. I did register at one time but I could not remember password. Anyway, I have a small in home daycare with only one enrolled, a second starting next week. My daughter is 2 and the little boy I have enrolled is 17 months old. The baby starting next week is 8 months old. I was going to just stick with that group but I'm wondering if adding another child or 2 would work better. My daughter and the 17 month old do not get along well. He will not leave her alone and she is not very tolerant. He also constantly wants to be held lately. It's hard to do much with them. Do you think if I had a larger group they would join along more in activities and such? Maybe it's just their personalities or ages. Any thoughts?
Also depends on your state rules ... what does it say about ratios for the ages in your home & does your child count in those ratios
MarinaVanessa 01:07 PM 08-18-2015
I would keep it with what you have for a couple of weeks and once you have a good routine down then you can see for yourself whether you think you can add another child or two. If you start with your smaller group and are tired at the end of the day then you'll want to keep it small etc.
Snowmom 01:07 PM 08-18-2015
I always found smaller groups to be more challenging.
I currently have 9-10 with my own children and it's so much easier for me than when I had 4-5 kids in my care.
I always felt like I never had down time with smaller groups. They always needed entertaining. With a larger group, they tend to want to play with each other versus me
Unregistered 01:17 PM 08-18-2015
Thanks for all of the responses! I am licensed for up to 7 (2 under 2).
kitykids3 05:39 PM 08-18-2015
I used to like the smaller groups and think they were easier, but as the years have gone on, I now find that the bigger groups (like when I have 7 or 8 vs. 3-4) are easier. Plus more money, and the time goes by much faster. If they aren't all too young (under 2) then they are usually less dependent on me for entertaining, basic care needs and direct supervision (such as less likely to be a biter or destroy things, etc.). I have 7 kids tomorrow with only 2 that are under 2 and I'm excited because I know they will all play together, enjoy having more friends around and I find it more fun and time goes faster.

Try adding the baby and see what happens. I do find with only 3 in a group they have limited options of friends to play with and they can get annoyed with each other quicker (like siblings).
littletots 05:49 PM 08-18-2015
I'm licensed for 1:6 (2 under 2). I started out low 1:4 then picked up when my personal children were over 3yr. Last 2 yrs full swing. More $, time goes fast sometimes hard to fit in lesson plan, everyone adjust & enjoys each others company. I say keep interviewing until slots full.
nothingwithoutjoy 07:09 PM 08-18-2015
When I started, my kids were all under 2 1/2. I capped enrollment voluntarily at 5 kids, because I was new to infants/toddlers and to working without a co-teacher. By the end of the first year, I was ready to go to full enrollment (6), and after that year, I changed my license to 6+2 (2 school-age). 8 seems easy now. 5 seemed exhausting then. But 5 still felt easier, even at the beginning, than 2 or 3--for the reasons others have said already. I bet another couple of 2 year-olds would make a big difference.
Blackcat31 05:59 AM 08-19-2015
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
I always found smaller groups to be more challenging.
I currently have 9-10 with my own children and it's so much easier for me than when I had 4-5 kids in my care.
I always felt like I never had down time with smaller groups. They always needed entertaining. With a larger group, they tend to want to play with each other versus me
I agree with this. ^^^

I've always been large group care and had 12-14 kids.
Those days where I have fewer than 10 kids, they are definitely more challenging as the kids seem to be needier of me and less tolerant of each other compared to their behaviors when there is a larger group.
Unregistered 08:02 AM 08-19-2015
Thank you all for your responses!! I think after the baby starts I'll try advertising for another.
Michael 02:36 PM 08-19-2015
I did register at one time but I could not remember password.
If you can remember you username I can email it to you. You can also use this link to reset your password: https://www.daycare.com/forum/login.php?do=lostpw
Tags:group care
Reply Up